PDA

View Full Version : hunting to home defense? or 2 guns?

dooodstevenn
06-03-2012, 11:58 PM
I've now got a remmington 870 express with a 28in ribbed barrel with a 4+1 capacity.

What are your thoughts on converting this to a home defense gun?
-shorter barrel
-mag extender (i would have to do some dremeling, or take it to the gun smith)
-velcro side saddle
-maybe a elastic stock carrier
-rail and optic

some of the things above could double for hunting use too, like the rail/optic, and ammo carriers.

or do you guys think i should just get a second gun? (if so any suggestions? i'd probably buy used)

dooodstevenn
06-04-2012, 12:27 AM
or for the cheap, a 18 in barrel, side saddle, stock carrier, and lots of practice combat reloading

smittty
06-04-2012, 8:25 AM
I would get another gun. Since you already have the 870 maybe try something different like the mossberg 500 or Winchester sxp. Either guns are right around $350 at big 5.

If you prefer a different shotgun for hunting then I would simply shorten the barrel of your 870 to 18.5" and call it a HD shotgun. You don't need to do more to it.

AAShooter
06-04-2012, 8:42 AM
The two purposes are very different. You can get buy with a single gun but in general, it will not do a good job of both activities. They should be fit differently, have different equipment, sighting systems, etc.

If you can only get one gun, set it up for the primary activity and then make due with the other. For example, use it as a hunting gun and just get an 18" barrel for HD and be done with it.

wjc
06-04-2012, 2:51 PM
I'd go with something like a riot shotgun for home defense.

Full stock 12 ga. pump with a shorter, non-choked barrel so it doesn't get in the way if clearing rooms.
You could install something to handle extra shells like a side saddle.

I prefer a Winchester Defender 1200.

dooodstevenn
06-04-2012, 3:01 PM
is there any other use for a 18 in barrel except home defense? i don't want to buy a barrel now, and end up with a separate shotgun later and no use for a shorter barrel for my 870

AAShooter
06-04-2012, 3:20 PM
is there any other use for a 18 in barrel except home defense? i don't want to buy a barrel now, and end up with a separate shotgun later and no use for a shorter barrel for my 870

Not much but you probably could resell it.

Remember, a home defense shotgun is the loaded shotgun you have in your hands when its needed. Although it may not be ideal, just about all of them are pretty devastating for a shot or two. Lots of people used single shot and double barrel shotguns with plain barrels as defensive shotguns in the day.

I would be happy to defend myself with my 870 w/ a 28" barrel. Not great for clearing structures but guess what, that's what a stack of men in blue with police dogs are for. It's a fool's game and should be avoided if at all possible.

-just one man's opinion.

stkcode
06-04-2012, 4:11 PM
I think you'd be better off leaving this one be and getting another shotty with a shorter barrel. By the time you buy the barrel and extension; for not that much more, you could get another used shotgun (with a shorter barrel and possibly longer mag tube).

Then you'd have both an HD and skeet (etc) shotgun. BTW, if you ever decide to sell this one, you generally get more $$$ for a shotgun with a longer barrel, then a shorter one.

CK_32
06-04-2012, 4:50 PM
If you don't mind switching it over every time I say one gun will do fine. It's simple plug and play on 870s and they are all the same shotgun with different configurations and attachments. I think having 2 shot guns would be nice but one gun could be capable with no problem.

I have a simple 870 express mag with some add ons but its for HD but if I shoot skeet or trap I'm going to change the stock back to factory and take the tac light off and replace the barrel but leaving everything else on. Simple takes all of 5 min.

smittty
06-04-2012, 6:05 PM
You can use your hd shotgun for hunting. It just won't swing as well and it won't be as versatile without joke tubes.

Speedpower
06-05-2012, 11:24 AM
You should buy 2 more ;)

1 Pump with a higher capacity
1 Semi Auto as a back up for Hunting!

canative
06-05-2012, 12:04 PM
I just picked up a Mossberg 500 combo at Big 5 last month for $299. Comes with a 28" and 18.5" barrel. Very easy to change out.

wjc
06-05-2012, 2:02 PM
I just picked up a Mossberg 500 combo at Big 5 last month for $299. Comes with a 28" and 18.5" barrel. Very easy to change out.

Are they choked or un-choked? If so, it could be the perfect combo...

dooodstevenn
06-05-2012, 2:35 PM
Are they choked or un-choked? If so, it could be the perfect combo...

from what i remember the mossberg 500 combo's they have at big 5 are both un choked barrels. im not sure if its a fixed something choke, or if its just a wide open fixed cylinder choke

Scuba Steve33
06-05-2012, 5:27 PM
Steven, I just posted in your other thread giving you a suggestion on a side saddle. I noticed you liked the 500 a lot too. I would suggest going with the 500 Cruiser. I posted a picture of mine with some upgrades to show the side saddle. I'd post it again here but I don't think there's a need to.

It's an awesome shotgun. We used 500s in the Army quite a lot so I was really familiar and comfortable with it and it was a logical choice, especially after seeing all the abuse we put them through. Definitely get a separate gun for HD.

Fjold
06-05-2012, 6:28 PM
I have the 11-87 with extra barrel and mag extension.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/Fjold/Guns/DSC01001.jpg