PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on "Patriot Safes"?

CCWFacts
06-03-2012, 11:57 PM
I need to get a closet-sized gun safe. I saw this one (http://www.patriotsafe.com/Closet-Model-18-gun-safe-2-hour-fire-1880-LEO-SPECIAL-Free-Pistol-Rack_p_541.html) and it seems to have the features I want. Does anyone have opinions on that, or others I should look at? The features I like are the fire-resistance rating, and that size.

I also looked at Canon Safes which seem to have less over-the-top hype on their website, and a Sturdy Safe (http://www.sturdysafe.com/model2723.htm) which are more expensive but are probably better made.

Thanks

Panchira!
06-04-2012, 12:14 AM
I don't know much about patriot safes. The body thickness is good. But they don't list the actual door metal thickness besides 4.5" overall width. If its the same (10 gauge) thats to thin for a door. Fire rating is high but that takes up valuable inside space. And the key pad does not look familiar.

I'm lookin for a closet sized safe too (60x30x20") and there are so many to choose from lol. I checked out sun welding safes a few days ago and they are pretty nice. You can get them with tons of frills or just a plain Jane safe. I'm looking at their renegade 60x30x20 with no frills. Sale price of 759. 12 gauge body, 3/16" door 500 pounds. Let us know what you decide on! All these safes make my head spin!

skale240
06-04-2012, 1:45 PM
I don't know much about Patriot safes but I've shopped for Canon and Sturdy safes.

IMO Sturdy is definitely made better. I own one myself and researched/shopped for other brands. The Canons were a lot cheaper in price and quality wise are not even close to Sturdy. If money is not an issue I'd go with Sturdy. Give them a call and ask about their product. I've talked to the owner a couple of times and he was very nice and knowledgable. He didn't try to sell me his product off the bat but rather explained what to look for when buying a safe.

Legasat
06-05-2012, 8:50 AM
Keep in mind that none of these "safes" that we discuss are considered real safes by the pros, they are considered Residentail Security Containers (RSC's). Real safes start at jeweler's safes with ratings like TL-15, TL-30 and up, and for a gun size jeweler's safe, they start around $6k. This simply means none of RSC's will stop a pro, or even slow him down much.

I looked around and read for months before I bought mine, and came to the conclusion that most of the big brands produce a few good quality RSC's that WILL keep Mr. Crackhead or teen burglers out, and that is what I am trying to do.

I chose the AmSec BF6030, but this Patriot looks like a nice sturdy RSC, with good fire protection.

NytWolf
06-05-2012, 9:28 AM
FYI, Cannon is the parent company of Patriot, but they operate independently. If that makes sense. :rolleyes:

For the price per feature, the Patriot is a definitely good buy. But of course, as with anything else, higher quality commands higher prices.
My budget wasn't as high as yours, but I found what I wanted in the P40 (I think it's discontinued). Compared to the other safes in the same price range, it was the biggest safe with the features I needed, and fit my budget.

NYRangerfan2
06-05-2012, 4:01 PM
If your not in a hurry, check craigslist ... i see a good safe on there evey other month or so ... and at least u can barter with them, and save some cash!

Zartan
06-19-2012, 5:31 AM
I don't know much about patriot safes. The body thickness is good. But they don't list the actual door metal thickness besides 4.5" overall width. If its the same (10 gauge) thats to thin for a door. Fire rating is high but that takes up valuable inside space. And the key pad does not look familiar.

I'm lookin for a closet sized safe too (60x30x20") and there are so many to choose from lol. I checked out sun welding safes a few days ago and they are pretty nice. You can get them with tons of frills or just a plain Jane safe. I'm looking at their renegade 60x30x20 with no frills. Sale price of 759. 12 gauge body, 3/16" door 500 pounds. Let us know what you decide on! All these safes make my head spin!

I've been looking at the same safe. You decide yet?