PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Plug

Johnnyfres
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
So a friend and I were having a bit of a debate about how many shells you can have in your shotgun. I told him any weapon in CA is a max of ten rounds and that shotguns only require 2 in the tube 1 in the chamber while hunting.

Am I correct to say this? The stock plug can be removed to allow for more shells to be loaded in the gun as long as it does not exceed 10 rounds?

Thanks for any info.

WDE91
06-03-2012, 10:13 PM
I am unsure about hunting regulations as I dont currently hunt but I know they can have limitations

Yes 10 is max here in CA

PoorRichRichard
06-03-2012, 10:23 PM
2 in the tube, and one in the chamber while hunting. I'm not sure if the 10 round law applies to tube mags for shotguns- I know you are alowed to own/sell/buy tube fed rifiles that hold more than 10 rounds (example: Marlin 60). But when you sit back and think about it, a tube that holds more than 10 rounds in a shotgun would be rather long and odd looking. If you have a detachable mag (think Saiga shotguns), 10 rounds is the limit. Some companies have found ways around this- Keltech comes to mind with their new 14+1 shotgun which actually has 2 tubes sitting side by side each holding 7 rounds.

PoorRichRichard
06-03-2012, 10:30 PM
^I hope to God to never have to be in a situation where I'd need 14 rounds of 12 gauge shells...

paratroop
06-04-2012, 7:40 AM
Hey guys, by the letter of the law there is no limit as to how many rounds a shotgun can hold. You just cant manufacture, import, etc. any new +10 mags. Dont confuse shotgun rules with rifle rules. A saiga shotgun could have a 100 round fixed drum. But they same shotgun could not have a 5 round detachable mag.

Johnnyfres
06-04-2012, 8:33 AM
My main concern was removing the plug that is in the tube by factory. He was stating to me that is is illegal to remove it. I told him it was fine if you are not hunting.

So I wanted to confirm that If I do not plan to use the shotgun for hunting, only for home defense and the occasional skeet I could remove the plug

crackerman
06-04-2012, 8:42 AM
This thread will not go well like the last one did not.

That said, for non-hunting applications you cannot manufacture a high capcaity magazine over 10 rounds so no uber long tubes added to a standard 870 etc. (Lever actions with tube magazines are exempt but mostly impractile for this argument since there are not to many 1887 clones around.)

For hunting in the state of california you cannot have more than 6 rounds in a shotgun. For big game as defined by the state, you cannot have more than 2+1, and for migratory birds this is limited to 2+1 by the feds and state. (I also think small game is 2+1 but cant really search the FGC right now. (Practically the above means for non-game like American starlings, coyotes, and bobcats you can have 6 loaded but personally I just leave the plug in my field guns, because if I haven't hit it in 3, it won.)

wjc
06-04-2012, 2:56 PM
This thread will not go well like the last one did not.

That said, for non-hunting applications you cannot manufacture a high capcaity magazine over 10 rounds so no uber long tubes added to a standard 870 etc. (Lever actions with tube magazines are exempt but mostly impractile for this argument since there are not to many 1887 clones around.)

For hunting in the state of california you cannot have more than 6 rounds in a shotgun. For big game as defined by the state, you cannot have more than 2+1, and for migratory birds this is limited to 2+1 by the feds and state. (I also think small game is 2+1 but cant really search the FGC right now. (Practically the above means for non-game like American starlings, coyotes, and bobcats you can have 6 loaded but personally I just leave the plug in my field guns, because if I haven't hit it in 3, it won.)

^^this^^

The 6 rounds for hunting is something I just saw recently on the DFG Q&A site but the rest is right on the money.

p1choco
06-05-2012, 2:05 PM
Aguilla kinda throws off the capacity issue. I'm not sure if any law specifies shell length.

Spyder
06-05-2012, 4:55 PM
Nothing specifies shell length. If you have a pocketfull of aguila mini slugs or mini buckshot shells, and you're out hunting deer or ducks or whatever, and your shotgun accepts more of them than is allowed for your particular situation, you're going to have some issues.

CK_32
06-05-2012, 5:33 PM
Like said above 10 max in CA.

Hunting has differsnt rules I thought it was 3 or 4 in the tube and one in chamber but I guess it's 2. Not big on hunting so I'm not sure.

p1choco
06-06-2012, 8:15 PM
Nothing specifies shell length. If you have a pocketfull of aguila mini slugs or mini buckshot shells, and you're out hunting deer or ducks or whatever, and your shotgun accepts more of them than is allowed for your particular situation, you're going to have some issues.

And at the same time your 7-8 round mag tubes are capable of holding more than 10.

tpuig
06-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Others will clarify, but IIRC, there's no limit for tubular magazines. (But it kind of defeats the purpose of having a short agile defensive 18" barrel gun with a 5 foot magazine extension...

10 rounds for a shotgun with a magazine.

The ability to only load 3 rounds in the gun if hunting waterfowl, upland, resident small game, bear, deer and pigs. Whew!

Quiet
06-07-2012, 1:12 AM
Hey guys, by the letter of the law there is no limit as to how many rounds a shotgun can hold. You just cant manufacture, import, etc. any new +10 mags. Dont confuse shotgun rules with rifle rules.

In regards to the assault weapon laws, there is no capacity limits on a shotgun with a fixed magazine

In regards to the large capacity magazine laws, it is not legal to import/manufacture/sell a 11+ round capacity magazine.
This applies to tubular magazines on shotguns, except for lever-action shotguns.

So, as long as you do not increase the capacity of a fixed magazine to 11+ rounds, it's legal.
Exemptions to this are fixed tubular magazines on lever-action firearms and fixed tubular magazines on .22 caliber firearms.

Am I correct to say this? The stock plug can be removed to allow for more shells to be loaded in the gun as long as it does not exceed 10 rounds?
Yes, you are correct.

Sicarius
06-07-2012, 7:39 AM
So much missinformation here. There is no limit for a shotgun. Tube fed or magazine.
The only limitation as far as magazine size is the assembly or manufacturing of a hi cap magazine.
Not sure about hunting. Not my sport...
Kevin

Chaos47
06-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Oh great not this again so many wrong awnsers given when this comes up and no one bothers to read and find out the correct awnser.

This below by Quiet is 100% correct, anyone that says otherwise needs to read the laws for themselves.

In regards to the assault weapon laws, there is no capacity limits on a shotgun with a fixed magazine

In regards to the large capacity magazine laws, it is not legal to import/manufacture/sell a 11+ round capacity magazine.
This applies to tubular magazines on shotguns, except for lever-action shotguns.

So, as long as you do not increase the capacity of a fixed magazine to 11+ rounds, it's legal.
Exemptions to this are fixed tubular magazines on lever-action firearms and fixed tubular magazines on .22 caliber firearms.

Yes, you are correct.

Here's a quote from me the last time this came up:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=569624

No limit per say if you have a preban magazine or tube.

If you don't allready legally posses the "large-capacity magazine" then the magazine law applies.

This applies to both box and tube magazines.

So if you attached a tube over 10 rounds you would be manufacturing a large capacity magazine

When Hunting you are limited to 3 shells.
353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.
(b) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.

And before someone says otherwise shotgun tube magazines are not exempt from the magazine law.

12020 (25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

Only 22 tubes and Lever tubes are exempt. Not Shotguns! (Unless its a lever action shotgun ;) )

Johnnyfres
06-07-2012, 8:20 PM
Thanks for the info guys