PDA

View Full Version : First handgun

350skylark
06-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Im only 20 years old right now but when i turn 21 instead of a 6 pack the first thing im gonna buy is a 1911! never been a big fan of drinking anyways. The two that im looking at are the Rock island .45 and the ATI .45 both G.I. models and because they are low priced. I have shot the ATI which i did like but i have not shot the ria. My question is which one of these would be recommended? I still have a couple months for my birthday but just wanted some more opinions

mc21
06-03-2012, 10:18 PM
If you dont like shooting the RIA, why even consider it?

350skylark
06-03-2012, 10:29 PM
sorry i just worded that wrong i ment i have not shot the ria

PoorRichRichard
06-03-2012, 10:42 PM
You're 20 years old, so that probably means your broke. No offense, I was poor as hell at 20. Honestly, unless you have a ton of handgun experience, get yourself a good quality .22 that you can afford to shoot. 45 ACP is one of the most expensive rounds to buy, and if you go out and buy a 45, you're not going to be able to shoot it as much as you'd like. If you are really into 1911s, check out the GSG 1911, and do some research on other quality 1911s chambered for .22lr. Also, if you are serious about handgun shooting, get yourself into good shooting habits from the beginning. Speaking from experience, bad habits are a bi+€h to break! Best of luck on your first handgun purchase.

Arkangel
06-03-2012, 10:47 PM
If cost is a factor then I agree with Richard.... Feeding a .45 can get expensive very quickly.

mc21
06-03-2012, 11:10 PM
Don't they have 22lr conversion kits for 1911? He could get both and shot mostly 22lr if price is an issue. I got a p226 9mm and plan on getting a 22lr conversion kit for that. However after doing some research, it looks like I should have gotten a p226 in 22lr and bought 9mm conversion kit =\

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I highly suggest .22lr or 9mm for beginners or people on a tight budget that wants a semi auto. Cheaper ammo allows more practice and the ability to stock up more ammo than a more expensive round

Mr310
06-03-2012, 11:42 PM
I'd get a 1911, too. :D

Just get something that's American made, though. On a 1911, I think it's sacrilege to get a foreign made job.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 11:45 PM
Some may say the same if you get anything else that's not a colt but that doesn't mean its the best

PoorRichRichard
06-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Just did 10 seconds of reaearch on a the p226, and that sounds like a very good option for a 9mm/22 convertible gun in a 1911 platform. I soooooo wish I'd have found his website before pissing away do much money when first getting into handguns....

Mr310
06-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Just did 10 seconds of reaearch on a the p226, and that sounds like a very good option for a 9mm/22 convertible gun in a 1911 platform. I soooooo wish I'd have found his website before pissing away do much money when first getting into handguns....

Sig makes a 1911, but it's not the P series. They have the Scorpion, the GSR, and perhaps another one.

I still say go domestic, though. ;)

toby77
06-04-2012, 12:07 AM
I don't think getting a 1911 in 45 acp is a good choice as your first handgun since putting 500 round down range will cost you about half of your rock islands price tag. Start with something cheap and reliable, 22lr is a good caliber to practice cheaply and 9mm is something you can practice and use as a defensive weapon.

Oceanbob
06-04-2012, 5:16 AM
You're 20 years old, so that probably means your broke. No offense, I was poor as hell at 20. Honestly, unless you have a ton of handgun experience, get yourself a good quality .22 that you can afford to shoot. 45 ACP is one of the most expensive rounds to buy, and if you go out and buy a 45, you're not going to be able to shoot it as much as you'd like. If you are really into 1911s, check out the GSG 1911, and do some research on other quality 1911s chambered for .22lr. Also, if you are serious about handgun shooting, get yourself into good shooting habits from the beginning. Speaking from experience, bad habits are a bi+h to break! Best of luck on your first handgun purchase.

THIS..^^^^

Also, a good quality .22 will be in your collection for a lifetime. Heck, your future kids will shoot it. For me not a fan of the GSG 1911, however I am a fan of the RUGER 22/45. Same grip angle and a better platform.

adrenaline
06-04-2012, 5:28 AM
I'll go another route and say if you are saving all your money (instead of clubbing, drinking, etc.) and wanting a firearm for self-defense first and shooting hobby second. I congratulate your idea in doing so. The other advice on this thread on cost of ammo is very important most espcially with the .45acp. I won't steer you away from your .45acp purchase, but if you have a friend or if your parents have firearms that you can practice with (.22lr or 9mm) that's great.

If you don't, it'll get expensive really fast unless you do it like I do....

Intead of buying a beer or even a lunch for that matter, I'll put what I would have spent there and toss it into my "ammo" fund. Once I have enough to get my range session on, I do it.

It is all personal choices. While some may want to have a buzz or load up on some calories, I may choose to be sober and skip a lunch or two for some range time.

Welcome to CG by the way.

Edit:
Once your range addiction starts building up, you'll want a cheaper shooter and I predict a .22lr or 9mm in your future. ;)

Mr. Gillious
06-04-2012, 6:10 AM
if i were you don't get a 1911 as your first gun. I may sound like a hippocrite because my first gun was a 1911 but i already knew how to disassemble it, care for it, and shoot it. Don't get me wrong, it's a fantastic gun and one of my favorites.

don't mean for you to be like everyone else, but i think you should get a 9mm. You'll be able to shoot way more rounds and have more fun with it. IMO you'll probably be more accurate with it. I only say a glock 17 or 19 or even 34 because it's very popular and can easily be modified.

PLUS... with the glock you'll have 10 round mags all day that are about $40 each. 10 round 1911 mags cost around $30-$40 (i'm referencing wilson combat and CMC).

1911 is very very fun to shoot, but when you start adding the cost of ammo, and realize how much ammo you could have been shootnig with a 9mm, you might kick yourself in the butt. just my opinion.

glug
06-04-2012, 6:56 AM
My advice to any first timer is before making any purchases is you should try to find out what kind of gun owner you will be. Do you just want a gun to keep for self defense or are you more of an enthusiast who enjoys shooting, maintenance, collecting and all the other aspects of gun ownership? Do you have the financial resources to support such an interest? This can be a *very* addictive, expensive, and rewarding hobby-- in that order :)

If I were starting over again on a budget and could only have one handgun I would probably get a Glock 19 and be done with it. It's cheap, reliable, and easy to take care of. Buy 1000 rounds of target ammo and practice like crazy and get some training if you can.

If you have the money and interest then you can't go wrong with a 1911... I never met anyone who didn't enjoy owning one, just know what you are getting into.

tbc
06-04-2012, 7:20 AM
Even if you can afford to shoot .45 my advice is to shoot .22. But I have a feeling that you won't want a .22 pistol for your first handgun. Get a 9mm like other folks recommended. Here are the options: (notice that they are all striker-fired platform)

Glock G19 or G17
Smith and Wesson M&P full size
Springfield Armory XD
Ruger SR9

Have fun on your first purchase. Your 10-day waiting period will seem like a life time :)

Sent from my iPhone

nocomply25
06-04-2012, 9:03 AM
I got a 1911 .45 as my first gun and then realized i really could not afford to go out and shoot it. Then after doing more research I realized that 9mm should have been my first choice anyway. Sold my 1911 and got a full size MP9, and i love it. Its cheap to practice with and when you couple it with a high quality hollow point it is just as deadly as the 45 with a lot less recoil and easier follow up shots. I say skip the 1911 and get a gun you can bet your life on in a home defense type situation. 1911 is a good range gun, but your first gun should be one you would use as self defense first. just my .02

P.S. Now if we are talking about custom 1911s that are all decked out, then I would definitely trust my life to that gun, but the stuff on the lower end of the spectrum I would not.

350skylark
06-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Thats pretty much it i dont have alot of other expenses, as of yet at least and its kind of a personal thing because my dad carried one when he was in the military. So its almost like a goal of mine to own one.

So now back on topic, RIA:gunsmilie:ATI?

em9sredbeam
06-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Just my .02, but a 45 for a first gun, especially with a tighter budget may not be the best choice. Even with a 22 conversion (which are usually $300-400, from what I have seen) can be pretty expensive to feed. A 9mm or even a 40 is still cheaper. I know you probably want something a little bigger than a 22, something a little more defensible, but I would shy away from 45 for awhile, and then buy a little nicer 1911 in the future.

As an added side note, if I hadn't gotten an awesome deal on a 40 for my first, I would have gone with 9mm and spent more time at the range than I do with my 45 which is my newest addiction, fortunately I reload now.

dem0critus
06-04-2012, 11:45 AM
I love 1911s. I can't count how many times I've heard people advise new shooters not to get larger calibers for a first gun for whatever reason. The first time I shot a .45 the only thing I was thinking was "why are so many people intimidated by this cartridge??". Yeah, the recoil is more than that of a .40 or a 9mm, but IMO it's nothing that you should be intimidated by.

Sure, it'll cost you more than a 9mm or a 22, but first gun or not, if you plan to buy a .45 then you're going to pay more. I say if you love 1911s, especially if you've already shot one, don't listen to the people telling you to get a 9 or a 22 just because it's your first gun and you won't be able to "handle" a 45. The price difference? Yeah, you'll save a lot of money going for a 9mm.

My vote is buy the 1911!!!!!

Just ma 2 cents!

brian5271
06-04-2012, 12:28 PM
I do not have any experience with either RIA or ATI, but you will probably find good info on both at these two websites;

http://forums.1911forum.com/index.php

http://forum.m1911.org/forums.php

On either page scroll down to the manufactures forms and you will find topics for both.

I think that Springfield Armory also has a model that is in the same price range and they have excellent customer service and a lifetime warranty. It might be worth a look.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you decide on!

xavierpoe
06-04-2012, 2:34 PM
I am in the same boat. Looking to buy my 1st Pistol. I own a few rifles, and have shot calibers of handguns ranging from .22 all the way to a Ruger 454.

I have always loved the 1911.

So i decided it will be my first handgun. I however am not 20, i am 31. Had i made the choice to not drink and party when i was 20, i would have a sick gun collection by now! Guns are a great investment. Much better then throwing money away on booze.

Today i rented the RIA tactical 1911 .45 at my local range. It is the model i have been eyeing for months now. First off, i have never shot a 1911 before. :o I have fired revolvers and plenty of steel framed 9mm, and of course the SW99/walther 99, and glocks.

I have never shot a group as well as i have with this gun. My first magazine i kept less than a 3" group. That's great for me considering i only shoot about once a month atm. Since i never had fired the gun before or any 1911 for that matter, i figured maybe beginners luck? So i loaded another magazine and again a tight group. I went through 50 rounds, and with the exception of a few misplaced shots due to my novice skill it was awesome!

It sealed the deal for me. It will be my first pistol. Cost of ammo be damned! I am choosing the tactical version over the GI due to all the upgraded parts the tacical comes with, especially the dovetail sights! If you want to know where i have found the best deal on them PM me.

On a side note you can always hunt around for the kimber .22lr conversion kit for cheap target practice. I have heard of 9mm conversions as well. I can not confirm if either conversion will work with the RIA tactical.

tacticalcity
06-04-2012, 3:10 PM
Is it that time of week already? Search feature is your friend. This discussion will be covered in much more detail in older threads. People get tired of hashing out the same debate once a week.

I recommend the Glock. See my earlier posts of the subject for a detailed explination as to why.

Whatisthis?
06-04-2012, 3:30 PM
If you can afford to shoot .45, you can surely by a nice 22/45 or buckmark first, save up a little more money and then buy what you truly want for a centerfire caliber.

A .22 is the best first choice IMO. I turned 21 and first thing I did was buy a glock 23 with. 9mm conversion barrel. After I went to the range twice, I realized I need self control to not burn through over $20 every range trip. I was lucky enough to get a bonus at work and my tax refund around the same time. Once I knew bills and everything were taken care of, I knew exactly what I was going to do... Buy a Ruger 22/45 and shoot forever every range trip with no worries. I LOVE IT!

Lead Waster
06-04-2012, 3:33 PM
I'm a geezer and I'm not poor. I have a bunch of guns of various calibres, but the one gun that comes with me to the range all the time is the Ruger 22/45. You really can't beat a .22 for just pure fun and getting lots of trigger time. Oh, and I have the RIA Tactical, it's great but I don't like the sights (personally).

Glocks are a good choice too. For cheap entry into the hobby, you can't go wrong with a Glock 19 or Glock 17.

Lead Waster
06-04-2012, 3:34 PM
^^ LOL Whatisthis, we think alike!

Whatisthis?
06-04-2012, 3:36 PM
I love 1911s. I can't count how many times I've heard people advise new shooters not to get larger calibers for a first gun for whatever reason. The first time I shot a .45 the only thing I was thinking was "why are so many people intimidated by this cartridge??". Yeah, the recoil is more than that of a .40 or a 9mm, but IMO it's nothing that you should be intimidated by.

Sure, it'll cost you more than a 9mm or a 22, but first gun or not, if you plan to buy a .45 then you're going to pay more. I say if you love 1911s, especially if you've already shot one, don't listen to the people telling you to get a 9 or a 22 just because it's your first gun and you won't be able to "handle" a 45. The price difference? Yeah, you'll save a lot of money going for a 9mm.

My vote is buy the 1911!!!!!

Just ma 2 cents!

I don't think people are advising him to get a .22 because the recoil of the .45 is too much. More are advising to go with a .22 for the cost. A major difference. 50 rounds of .45 = about $16 or whatever the hell it is. $16 = ~500 rounds of .22. So it's shooting all day versus shooting for ~15 to 20 minutes max.

dem0critus
06-04-2012, 4:24 PM
I don't think people are advising him to get a .22 because the recoil of the .45 is too much. More are advising to go with a .22 for the cost. A major difference. 50 rounds of .45 = about $16 or whatever the hell it is. $16 = ~500 rounds of .22. So it's shooting all day versus shooting for ~15 to 20 minutes max.

I agree with everything you're saying about the price. However, cost difference is the same whether you're a new shooter or not, so if you want to shoot a ton, then fine go with a .22, but if you love a 1911 in .45 chances are you're probably going to get one eventually anyways, so there's really no escaping paying what it costs to shoot .45.

At the end of the day, if you love a 1911, get a 1911. If you want to shoot a lot of bullets, get a .22, but for me there's more to it than slinging as much lead down range as possible for the money. I'd rather buy a gun I'm in love with than settle for a .22 just because I'll be able to take more shots.

But yeah, you do make a good point. At that price point you can't go wrong at all in .22.

dadoody
06-04-2012, 4:26 PM
Thats pretty much it i dont have alot of other expenses, as of yet at least and its kind of a personal thing because my dad carried one when he was in the military. So its almost like a goal of mine to own one.

So now back on topic, RIA:gunsmilie:ATI?

I understand. I really wanted a Japanese sword when I was your age. Got it right here still lol.

If you must have a 1911, RIA is fine. Very reliable and lots of fans, and the parts are interchangeable with other 1911 manufacturers for the most part. Don't pay over $500 for a standard GI model.

Other 1911s in that price range is the Springfield GI. Runs in the $500 range, but if the name is important to you, I would go with the Springfield over the RIA for looks and branding.

If you just want function, the RIA is fine.

ckyrulez
06-04-2012, 4:44 PM
Maybe you can compromise and get a 1911 chambered in 9mm. That way you can get the 1911 you want but still spend less on shooting it. I rented a Kimber 1911 in 9mm by accident and loved it. Definitely want to get one in the future.

350skylark
06-04-2012, 7:49 PM
I understand. I really wanted a Japanese sword when I was your age. Got it right here still lol.

If you must have a 1911, RIA is fine. Very reliable and lots of fans, and the parts are interchangeable with other 1911 manufacturers for the most part. Don't pay over $500 for a standard GI model.

Other 1911s in that price range is the Springfield GI. Runs in the $500 range, but if the name is important to you, I would go with the Springfield over the RIA for looks and branding.

If you just want function, the RIA is fine.

Thank you for understanding my posts i do appreciate all of the responses but like i said i want one because its somewhat important to me i guess you could say. My dad was a marine before i was born and i would always ask about the guns he used and always liked the 1911. Well he died a few years back (not in service) but its something ive always wanted so im not really gonna be convinced to buy a .22, im sure i will down the line, just not for my first pistol. Its gotta be a 1911 haha, so if you could respect my decision and give me a few tips it would be much appreciated.

dadoody
06-04-2012, 8:48 PM
Thank you for understanding my posts i do appreciate all of the responses but like i said i want one because its somewhat important to me i guess you could say. My dad was a marine before i was born and i would always ask about the guns he used and always liked the 1911. Well he died a few years back (not in service) but its something ive always wanted so im not really gonna be convinced to buy a .22, im sure i will down the line, just not for my first pistol. Its gotta be a 1911 haha, so if you could respect my decision and give me a few tips it would be much appreciated.

1911 is fine. Everyone's going off about Ammo prices, but unless you're shooting all the time, it doesn't matter. If you do start shooting a lot, they sell .22 conversion kits for 1911s, so it's no big deal.

Anyways, I'd go with Springfield or RIA.

No idea about ATI. Never seen or fired one.

Hickok says:

X9GFFryTD7E

hefedehefe
06-04-2012, 9:07 PM
I would go with a 10 rounder