PDA

View Full Version : SIG 551 A1 in jail!!

hookah
06-03-2012, 9:47 PM
I pulled the trigger, so to say, 2 days ago on a sig551 A1, Im pretty excited to say the least as this is my first rifle, and first firearm at that!! Anyways, just had to share, as I wish it was here already, I'll definetly be doing a range report when I get it.... Can anyone recommend a good place to buy ammo? doesnt have to be anything fancy, just good for range plinking, so looking to keep it low cost. I also wanted to get some good ear protection and some gloves. If anyone can recommend some good stuff that would be awesome!!
Thanks!!

REDdawn6
06-03-2012, 9:52 PM
gratz!!!

Ruiner
06-03-2012, 9:55 PM
Very nice. Let us know how it is. I plan to pick one up sometime in the fall. Where did you pick it up from if you don't mind me asking?

hookah
06-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Very nice. Let us know how it is. I plan to pick one up sometime in the fall. Where did you pick it up from if you don't mind me asking?

Got it off DD's Ranch, Pretty good price, and was the only CA compliant one I found.

Zartan
06-04-2012, 6:45 AM
Held one at TRaP this weekend. Very nice. $1500 I think

hookah
06-04-2012, 9:18 AM
Held one at TRaP this weekend. Very nice. $1500 I think

Nice, Thats what I paid as well, Ive seen some sites that wanted close to $1900.

Arkangel
06-04-2012, 9:38 AM
:useless:

hookah
06-04-2012, 9:49 AM
Threw a pic up, Not mine though, havent seen it yet.

pc_load_letter
06-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Please, I don't mean to be snarky, but I just googled 556 versus 551 to determine the differences and from the results, the differences are just the mag? Meaning you get a swiss made clear mag versus being able to run AR mags?

Is there something else that I am not reading? I am seeing 551 mags for $80 ish ?

Thanks!

PCLL

nitroxdiver
06-04-2012, 11:40 AM
Please, I don't mean to be snarky, but I just googled 556 versus 551 to determine the differences and from the results, the differences are just the mag? Meaning you get a swiss made clear mag versus being able to run AR mags?

Is there something else that I am not reading? I am seeing 551 mags for $80 ish ?

Thanks!

PCLL

PC, pretty much. Here's our earlier conversation about the 551A1.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=579338

Folks wanted a rifle from SIG that closer approximated a Swiss 551, which can't be imported into the USA any more. Current real ones sell for many thousands in the states, and are banned by name in Ca.

Sig delivered. Some like it, some don't. I myself prefer it over the 556. A lot of folks continue to build on the basic 551A1 by installing Swiss parts to get it even closer. Up to the end user. It's all just a fun hobby after all. It's a great shooting reliable rifle with a great trigger. Sig had teething pains for a while with some 556's, but seemed to hit the QC mark with the 551A1. CDNN was originally the sole distributer, and supposedly demended a higher level of quality control and did inspections on incoming rifles. All hear say from 556.com, but who knows. All I can say is my 551A1 is flawless in performance, assembly and finish. I have replaced the sights with swiss sights, and eventually will replace the lower with a swiss lower.
Take care, and congrats Hookah