PDA

View Full Version : AK74, 5.45x39. Build kit, Century, Arsenal???

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 9:45 PM
Ok guys, i need help. i want a 74 and im stuck between using the $1000 on a new arsenal, getting a bulgarian century arms or getting a kit and building one up but if i do decide to build one, im going to need some sort of guidance.

MiddleKingdom
06-03-2012, 9:52 PM
I haven't done an AK build, but I'm weighing the different options as well. My understanding is that there are some really experienced guys on Calguns that do them and know where to go for build parties if you want to benefit from their experience. There are a lot of posts regarding AK builds. The more I read them the more I want to build. Too bad its not as easy as an AR though.

Good Luck!

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 9:53 PM
Are you a picky person or you just want a battle rifle just to use? If you are picky, pick sgl31. If you want to learn about the functions of the rifle in depth, build it through calguns many build parties

AngelZ3R0
06-03-2012, 10:02 PM
saiga conversion?

addyyoon
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
Me and two friends bought 74s together, 2 from Century, 1 from Arsenal. The Arsenal definitely has better fit and finish, but honestly, it's an AK. As long as it cycles the rounds and shoots straight, it's doing what it was intended to do. We saved about $300-400 getting the Century and haven't had a single problem. Just doesn't look as good (but the Tapco G2 trigger is WAY better than Arsenal's).

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 10:08 PM
i thought about the saiga conversion but, i dont have all the tools and i want that brake on there too which will at the end, cost me almost the same. I want to know how the gun works but i also want a quality piece. I heard that the century arms 74 keyholes if you dont get the lucky pick. and if i didnt have to use a 1000 dollars it would be nice too.

addyyoon
06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
I haven't personally encountered a shooter in person who's had that problem with the 74s. I've heard about them being more prevalent with the Tantals, but again, that's just what I've heard

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 10:13 PM
ive seen a few vids now online about the century arms 74 key holing. so thats why im worried.

addyyoon
06-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Yea, I saw those too before we bought ours and it worried us too. I've also seen videos of Wolf jamming in ARs, Glocks exploding, and .50 cals ricocheting, but I haven't run into any of those problems (knock on wood). I don't blame you for being concerned, I was the same way, but I just hoped for the best and the 5 or 6 that we've handled and shot have worked flawlessly

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 10:19 PM
thanks man i really appreciate it. i guess ill do arsenal when i get up there. ahaha. one more question, mag wobble?

addyyoon
06-03-2012, 10:20 PM
Absolutely none!

jpm804
06-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Me and two friends bought 74s together, 2 from Century, 1 from Arsenal. The Arsenal definitely has better fit and finish, but honestly, it's an AK. As long as it cycles the rounds and shoots straight, it's doing what it was intended to do. We saved about $300-400 getting the Century and haven't had a single problem. Just doesn't look as good (but the Tapco G2 trigger is WAY better than Arsenal's).

^^ this...just picked up an arsenal 74, cai polish underfolder 47 and cai polish tantal 74..

Fit and finish on arsenal is definitely better but you are paying for it.

Havent shot the century aks yet but those are going to be more for me to tinker and change up... Fit and finish is not that bad but I don't really care since these will be used regularly especially with how much cheaper it's is shoot these calibers.

Example of century quality... Doing field strip and check of Fcg .... Testing g2 trigger I noticed the trigger pin was not being retained by anything...looks like Shepards crook was retaining hammer pin but thats it. Lucky I caught it since trigger pin was already coming loose...no biggie since I was gonna upgrade to a retainer plate anyways. Compared to the arsenal Fcg group everything is in there solid... I know it's just one example but just thought to point out to inspect your aks carefully.

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 10:23 PM
GREAT! well thanks again, i guess i have my choice.

jpm804
06-03-2012, 10:26 PM
GREAT! well thanks again, i guess i have my choice.

Which one is it gonna be?

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 10:34 PM
^^ this...just picked up an arsenal 74, cai polish underfolder 47 and cai polish tantal 74..

Fit and finish on arsenal is definitely better but you are paying for it.

Havent shot the century aks yet but those are going to be more for me to tinker and change up... Fit and finish is not that bad but I don't really care since these will be used regularly especially with how much cheaper it's is shoot these calibers.

Example of century quality... Doing field strip and check of Fcg .... Testing g2 trigger I noticed the trigger pin was not being retained by anything...looks like Shepards crook was retaining hammer pin but thats it. Lucky I caught it since trigger pin was already coming loose...no biggie since I was gonna upgrade to a retainer plate anyways. Compared to the arsenal Fcg group everything is in there solid... I know it's just one example but just thought to point out to inspect your aks carefully.

i dont know much about aks, i have an ar but its different. what should i do when i go check one out?

jpm804
06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I just watched a bunch of YouTube videos on ak builds and read up... Even if I wasnt going to build one it helps you understand how they work and what to look for...

I'm no ak expert and just got into aks recently but definitely a lot of information out there to digest...

One think to look out for is canted sites, mag wobble, front and rear trunion alignment, probably other things to mention .., but mostly everything else can be addressed pretty easily.

Go on a ak forums and they guides on what to look for...

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Which one is it gonna be?

i think im going to do a century arms. ill try to learn as much as possible before i go out and get one so i can inspect carefully. ill use the saved monies on mags and ammo. idk if youve seen TNoudoors9 channel on youtube but i love his ak, i want the side folder, basically i want a duplicate of his, but i guess itll be a century instead of arsenal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wFygAMxCx4&feature=watch_response

jpm804
06-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Well side folder will most likely be pinned open unless you increase overall length on the tantal...but you can also swap out the folder for a normal ak fixed stock which is nice..

Just side note if you get the polish tantal, top handguard is not standard ak length so you have to get a specific one for polish tantals to fit if you want to change it up.

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 10:56 PM
Well side folder will most likely be pinned open unless you increase overall length on the tantal...but you can also swap out the folder for a normal ak fixed stock which is nice..

Just side note if you get the polish tantal, top handguard is not standard ak length so you have to get a specific one for polish tantals to fit if you want to change it up.

naw probably bulgarian, and then ill change whatever i want out. itll probably still end up at $1000 lol.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 11:03 PM
Sounds more like you want a arsenal. Resale value is good and piece of mind is a small price worth it alone but that's just me

jpm804
06-03-2012, 11:11 PM
naw probably bulgarian, and then ill change whatever i want out. itll probably still end up at $1000 lol.

Let me know where you find that century bulgarian sidefolders since I haven't seen any recently...

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Let me know where you find that century bulgarian sidefolders since I haven't seen any recently...

ohhh. no, no. i want to buy an AKM side folding stock and replace the fixed. the stock itself is about $200 and i have to replace the rear trinium, whatever that is...

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 11:15 PM
Sounds more like you want a arsenal. Resale value is good and piece of mind is a small price worth it alone but that's just me

yea, ill look around if i can find some used ones also.

jpm804
06-03-2012, 11:19 PM
ohhh. no, no. i want to buy an AKM side folding stock and replace the fixed. the stock itself is about $200 and i have to replace the rear trinium, whatever that is...

IC ... Probably gonna get pricey if you have to replace the rear trunion to get the side folder to work....

Also like I mentioned you will have to increase the length of the barrel by 5.5 inches to event think about folding that stock.

maxwell0700
06-03-2012, 11:22 PM
IC ... Probably gonna get pricey if you have to replace the rear trunion to get the side folder to work....

Also like I mentioned you will have to increase the length of the barrel by 5.5 inches to event think about folding that stock.

oh yea? isnt it only if the barrel is not 16 inches. i remember the rifle to be 30inch total, side folder is okay IF the barrel is 16 +

man i guess ill have to start another thread lol.

jpm804
06-03-2012, 11:32 PM
oh yea? isnt it only if the barrel is not 16 inches. i remember the rifle to be 30inch total, side folder is okay IF the barrel is 16 +

man i guess ill have to start another thread lol.

16 inch barrel minimum is pretty standard at US level not unless you SBR it (in Cali near impossible to SBR a rifle).

But in Cali they have a minimal overall length requirement of 30" in operable condition... Most aks with stock folded is around 24.5 to 25...

Ak707
06-03-2012, 11:35 PM
Build at a calguns build party on a akbuilder flat or Nodak reciever. You will get much more satisfaction from building one w ur own hands. Matter of fact take that $1000 and build 2 hahaha

SJgunguy24
06-04-2012, 12:25 AM
Are you a picky person or you just want a battle rifle just to use? If you are picky, pick sgl31. If you want to learn about the functions of the rifle in depth, build it through calguns many build parties

saiga conversion?
These are one in the same, anybody who says different is a fool.
One is an Arsenal, the other one of my conversions. Side by side there's no difference in fit or performance.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/SaigavsArsenal2.jpg

ive seen a few vids now online about the century arms 74 key holing. so thats why im worried.

The Famous key hole tantals. That was the first run of Tantals Century built because someone thought 223 and 221 were the same, they were wrong.

Personally I would find a nice kit and have it built for you on a No Dak Spud receiver by a compedent builder or at a build party. If you do a build party, take your time. The biggest mistake anyone can make is to rush.
Side folders are out there to be had.
This is one of my 74's, Russian made contract gun for Bulgaria. 2 rivet trunnion drilled for the side folder already, since it's matched I just built it as a fixed stock.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/my74.jpg

Screw Arsenal.....Made in California.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/mybulgy2.jpg

maxwell0700
06-04-2012, 1:01 AM
Build at a calguns build party on a akbuilder flat or Nodak reciever. You will get much more satisfaction from building one w ur own hands. Matter of fact take that $1000 and build 2 hahaha

ok, so how does the whole process work? building one would be even better. like i said i just need the guidance, new to aks

maxwell0700
06-04-2012, 1:03 AM
These are one in the same, anybody who says different is a fool.
One is an Arsenal, the other one of my conversions. Side by side there's no difference in fit or performance.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/SaigavsArsenal2.jpg

The Famous key hole tantals. That was the first run of Tantals Century built because someone thought 223 and 221 were the same, they were wrong.

Personally I would find a nice kit and have it built for you on a No Dak Spud receiver by a compedent builder or at a build party. If you do a build party, take your time. The biggest mistake anyone can make is to rush.
Side folders are out there to be had.
This is one of my 74's, Russian made contract gun for Bulgaria. 2 rivet trunnion drilled for the side folder already, since it's matched I just built it as a fixed stock.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/my74.jpg

Screw Arsenal.....Made in California.
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll66/SJgunguy24/mybulgy2.jpg

interesting, i like what im seeing. so about the folding stock, is that a no no in cali?

MrPlink
06-04-2012, 2:06 AM
Century imported is fine, century built is a no no.

SJgunguy24
06-04-2012, 9:38 AM
interesting, i like what im seeing. so about the folding stock, is that a no no in cali?

Yes and no, yes as in most people lock them out. No as in there's no law making folders illegal as long as you maintain a minimum length of 30" overall with the stock folded.

zfields
06-04-2012, 9:56 AM
Screw Arsenal.....

Truth.

shoebox56
06-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Anyone have experience with Atlantic Firearm's WA74? If memory serves me right, it's a Saiga with a G2 trigger group.

zfields
06-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Anyone have experience with Atlantic Firearm's WA74? If memory serves me right, it's a Saiga with a G2 trigger group.

G2's are just about the most common triggers used. For the price, a pretty nice one IMO.

shoebox56
06-04-2012, 10:08 AM
G2's are just about the most common triggers used. For the price, a pretty nice one IMO.

Seems like an advantage over SGL. I am reading here and there of SGL owners converting over to G2 triggers.

zfields
06-04-2012, 10:11 AM
Seems like an advantage over SGL. I am reading here and there of SGL owners converting over to G2 triggers.

Arsenal can suck it either way.

Do a search on one of the many threads on this. Very anti CA company.

maxwell0700
06-04-2012, 12:46 PM
well if thats the case, if i were to want to build one myself. how does the process work? i order a kit then what? how do i locate a build party? what else would i need?

bighead
06-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Interarms, check rrcfirearms.com

chead
06-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Yes and no, yes as in most people lock them out. No as in there's no law making folders illegal as long as you maintain a minimum length of 30" overall with the stock folded.

The thing that keeps scaring me off a conversion is pressing on a '74 sight block, and dealing with the hand guard retainer. What's the story on these? I'd like to avoid a bolt-on retainer if at all possible.

Jayruta
06-04-2012, 12:57 PM
What part of california are you from build partys are all over the state. Should be one pr someone close to you.

SJgunguy24
06-04-2012, 1:26 PM
The thing that keeps scaring me off a conversion is pressing on a '74 sight block, and dealing with the hand guard retainer. What's the story on these? I'd like to avoid a bolt-on retainer if at all possible.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=328251

This works the exact same way for the gas block too. You will need something to block up the gas block to get everything to press straight off.

chead
06-04-2012, 2:41 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=328251

This works the exact same way for the gas block too. You will need something to block up the gas block to get everything to press straight off.

Block it up? Awesome link, thanks!

FiveSeven
06-04-2012, 2:41 PM

While I understand that from "appearance" point of view, but they are pretty solid if done right and you want to keep handguard there for a while. I have both (factory and bolt on) and both are durable.

There's another method.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85198

Or you can just buy one that was made in Russia (http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1076.aspx), @ the end it costs about the same or even less then if you were to converted HG yourself.

S470FM
06-04-2012, 3:02 PM
I have an Arsenal SGL 33 and a Century Tantal. The Century has been plagued by the keyholing problem for a long time, but I can say that my tantal does not keyhole after 500 rounds. the finish leaves something more to be desired and the barrel is not chromelined. if it's your first 74, I'd recommend the Tantal.

maxwell0700
06-04-2012, 4:45 PM
What part of california are you from build partys are all over the state. Should be one pr someone close to you.

sacramento

Jayruta
06-04-2012, 5:14 PM
I say build them with 1000 I could build a AK47 and a 74. There are Sacramento build parties and other Northern California Build Parties now ant then. Or if your ever in San Diego and drive down you could swing buy and I can help you build it. Let me know if you need help getting all the parts and what not together. I can point you in the right direction.

maxwell0700
06-04-2012, 7:37 PM
I say build them with 1000 I could build a AK47 and a 74. There are Sacramento build parties and other Northern California Build Parties now ant then. Or if your ever in San Diego and drive down you could swing buy and I can help you build it. Let me know if you need help getting all the parts and what not together. I can point you in the right direction.

thanks man, well to start off a build what would i need and what should i get?

SJgunguy24
06-04-2012, 7:57 PM
thanks man, well to start off a build what would i need and what should i get?

A kit, a receiver (flats work but a NDS receiver will have higher resale value and will out live you), compliance parts (see 922r), rivets, and a tutor with tools or a build party.

valley82
06-04-2012, 8:11 PM
Check out the build party tutorial in the gunsmithing forum...lots of info in there.

maxwell0700
06-04-2012, 9:27 PM
does anyone know where you can buy an AKM left side folding stock? ITSELF and the TRUNNION?

zfields
06-04-2012, 9:34 PM
AK builder has some a while back.

S470FM
06-05-2012, 4:32 AM
copes has original Russian side folding stocks for about $240-$250 (triangle and polymer). AK-builder has US made unfinished triangle stocks for $175