View Full Version : Mauser or Moisin?

06-03-2012, 8:21 PM
I am fighting the bug to pick up a WWII bolt action rifle. Why? Just for the kicks of having a historical gun that I can actually shoot. Heck, if money was a problem I would buy one of each!

I would like to hear from folks who own AND SHOOT either of these guns. If you had to pick one over the other for a "fun gun" which would you pick and why?

kris smith
06-03-2012, 8:24 PM
Never had a Mauser but shot one it was alright ive owned two mosins and love them a lot

06-03-2012, 8:24 PM
Both. I'd pick up the mosin nagant because for the price you can't beat it. Then i'd turn around and buy the mauser because they're cool too, don't know much about them but i'd love to have one.

06-03-2012, 8:26 PM
Mausers are much nicer rifles but surplus ammo in all calibers is scarce and expensive.

If you want to shoot a lot get a Mosin and all the spam cans of ammo you can afford.

Ammo will only cost more in the future and you'll probably enjoy shooting it.

06-03-2012, 8:27 PM
mosin ammo is cheap and will be around for many years. mauser ammo not so much.

06-03-2012, 8:36 PM
both are great guns. get both. the mosins the cheaper of the two if you don't have the funds yet. Ammos cheaper for the mosin too. But really both are cheap guns and accurate.

if i had to choose, it would be a mauser. Better design and action, cooler, little rarer.

06-03-2012, 8:50 PM
What model Mauser is the typical WWII surplus rifle?

06-03-2012, 9:09 PM
I love my K98. It's smooth, accurate, and you can reload the rounds. The Mosin is cheaper to buy and shoot, but the quality on the ones I've shot can't compare to the Mauser.

06-03-2012, 9:23 PM
There was an article in some magazine a year ago. They compared all the WW2 era "sniper rifles". Even against the Mauser, Springfield, Enfield, etc., the only one who could reliably hit a target after 600 yards was the Mosin.

Cheap, steel core ammo... fun to cut through steel targets...

You can sporterize them if you like and fewer people will cry foul than if you did it to a more expensive rifle.

Finally... I've done all kinds of things with mine. It's how I learned to reload rifle... and I learned to cast for it.

06-03-2012, 9:46 PM
I love my Mosin. It shoots great and the price can't be beat. Mausers are beautiful rifles, but I have yet to see any locally available or reasonably priced Mauser ammo.

06-03-2012, 9:51 PM
I wanted a K98 ever since I was a kid but started my C&R collection by buying my 91/30s first and took my time to find the right K98 and then made my move.

06-03-2012, 11:01 PM
Mosin! inexpensive gun, ammo. its an overall win. great gun.

Vlad 11
06-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Whats a 'Moisin' ?

06-04-2012, 1:03 AM
Ak or Ar? Both!

06-04-2012, 2:14 AM
I recommend the mosin. Cheap rifle and cheap ammo, you can't go wrong with that! The only downside is that the action is a bit stiff but a lil bit of froglube can go a long way.

06-04-2012, 7:39 AM
No question the Mosin is cheaper. However, you can find Yugo M48s Mauser's for ~$200 and ammo (eastern block) for as low at $0.25/rd. There is some very good (accurate) Yugo sniper ammo for the same cost as everyday .308 bulk ammo ($0.50/rd). My Turk Mauser and sniper ammo are deadly on silhouette steel pigs at 300 meters. The mosid will be cheaper for both the rifle and the ammo. You can even go up in quality with an Finn M39 Mosin. However, I have seen 91/30s shoot just as good out to 500 meters on the range.

06-04-2012, 7:49 AM
Mosin would be my first choice due to the availability of cheap surplus ammo. And as has been stated, get a Mauser and pay a bit more for ammo. There was quite a bit of it as surplus a few years ago but I believe it's drying up.

06-04-2012, 9:41 AM
Whats a 'Moisin' ?

Watch "Enemy at the gates" they pronounce it "Moisin Nagant"

AK all day
06-04-2012, 9:45 AM
Simply both.... Just get both.

06-04-2012, 10:27 AM
I have owned both. I would get the Mauser first as they are a bit harder to find and more expensive. You can always pick up a 91/30 for $99 off of some one down the road.

06-04-2012, 11:10 AM
Just be aware, the spam can surplus 7.62x54r are steel core ammo. Some ranges do not allow them.

06-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Both as stated! But if you want a real nice shooter, consider a Swiss K31. Well made and pretty accurate.

06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
you can find some Mauser that are chambered in 7.62x51nato (.308), 30.06, out there. some countries didn't want 8mm Mauser.

06-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I've owned many Mausers and Mosin Nagants. I sold all my Mausers, primarily because:

Mosin surplus ammo is cheaper and easier to find.
Mosin "post" iron sights are better than the thin blade and narrow V slot of the Mauser.

gun toting monkeyboy
06-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Are you seeing a trend here? The Mosins are very popular because of the price and availability of ammo. I personally like them more because they feel better balanced, and are easy to carry in the woods all day. The craftsmanship of mausers is often better. But the Mosins are available in re-arsenalled condition, which means like new in most cases. Take your pick, but realize that you will likely end up with several of each eventually.

06-04-2012, 1:06 PM
Was thinking of picking a Mosin up myself. Not sure if I'd want the full 29" barrel 91/30 though since I have no room for a really long rifle.

Soon enough, the ammo will spike in price like the yugo 7.62x39 ammo.

06-04-2012, 1:36 PM
i have a k98k mauser and its more accurate with its irons than any gun i have. i did just buy a m91/30 and have yet to shoot it, hopefully i can shoot this monster soon

06-04-2012, 1:45 PM
Buy witch ever one looks better at the store. You can also get your C&R, then buy a Mosin through the mail, then the Mauser, then a Lee Enfield, then a M1 Garand, then a M1 Carbine...

06-04-2012, 2:54 PM
I own both Mausers and Mosins.
Accuracy: Swedish Mauser, hands down.
Ammo cost: Mosin.
Fun factor: both are incredible.
Recoil: 6.5 is much more pleasant, however, with lack of surplus ammo, that does not necessarily means a good thing :).
Collector value: if you take a basic M96 and a basic Mosin - Swede is about 3x-4x the cost and value.

06-04-2012, 2:56 PM
Mosin for cheap ammo -

Mauser for accuracy...

06-04-2012, 3:26 PM
To start off with, get the Mosin, but in the end i say BOTH, i'm saving up for a Mauser, which will be in my arsenal soon, after i finish purchasing all my other guns :D

Richard Erichsen
06-04-2012, 4:21 PM
I am fighting the bug to pick up a WWII bolt action rifle. Why? Just for the kicks of having a historical gun that I can actually shoot. Heck, if money was a problem I would buy one of each!

I would like to hear from folks who own AND SHOOT either of these guns. If you had to pick one over the other for a "fun gun" which would you pick and why?

Tough call. The pre-war and post-war Mauser '98 actions are still among the very best out there and in non-matching rifles make good candidates for sporterizing them. 7.92x57 mm milsurp is getting rare and the commercial versions are very mild in an attempt to avoid conditions in some of the very oldest rifles chambered in this old caliber. I would probably buy a good action sans stock with a crap barrel and rebarrel it in something more common, such as .30-06 where ammo options are broad and availability is and will likely remain high for some time to come. There are tons of resources to build back up a respectable looking '98 into either more of a military format, or a proper sporter as your needs dictate. If you plan to shoot a lot though, a matching serials example will end up a safe queen as the needed 7.92x57 mm will be a lot more costly than it was several years ago when every gunshow had piles of Mausers and boxes of surplus ammo.

For the Mosin Nagant, the M44 being among my favorite of the "carbine" length weapons would be my choice. Unlike the old Mauser 7.92x57 mm, there is plenty of 7.62x54R around and probably will continue to be available for awhile, having been produced in more countries over a longer period of time. For a capable shooter, if somewhat ugly and less nicely fit and finished than the pre-war and post-war '98s, it's more than adequate and will last many lifetimes. An example with good action and barrel is also less costly than the more covetted Mausers, even with all serials matching example.

Crates of ammo can be had in 7.62x54R that put some of the more recent 7.62x39 mm milsurp to shame. I've seen deals that approach 5.45x39 mm surplus prices.

Good luck and enjoy.