PDA

View Full Version : Saiga first outing

leedog
06-03-2012, 9:08 PM
Just came back from shooting my new Saiga 7.62 for the first time. I was very impressed with the rifle. I put 200 rounds down the barrel and am at home now getting ready to clean it for the first time. My question is should I break the gun down and do a complete cleaning of everything, or just clean the barrel and lube the action and call it good? I'm sure the Russians didn't clean their rifles that often when the Germans were breathing down their necks.:D

FourLoko
06-03-2012, 9:11 PM
if you shot non-corrosive ammo I wouldn't even clean it

AngelZ3R0
06-03-2012, 9:14 PM
Clean it learn all the ins and outs of your guns.

leedog
06-03-2012, 9:23 PM
I was shooting wolf fmj.Is it corrosive?

atakacorp
06-03-2012, 9:26 PM
First time shooting your baby and you dont want to clean her,man this is cold :)
wolf not corrosive

leedog
06-03-2012, 9:35 PM
I have allready done a field strip of the rifle before it was fired because I am the type of guy who likes to know how things work.I have heard that I can drag the Saiga through the mud and still fire it with no problems and that is one of the reasons that I bought it. I will clean it but how far should I go if I'm planning to fire it again soon. Also do I need to clean the gas tube, and if so how should I do It?

bballwizard05
06-03-2012, 9:38 PM
Haha when I had a Saiga I cleaned it once every 500 rounds. It's like a lifted 4x4, things are in balance when it is a little dirty!

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 9:43 PM
Even though it can take the abuse, I'd still clean, lube it, and keep it in good condition. We work too hard for our money to just degrade our belongings. I'm very picky about cleaning and maintaining all my firearms and those who have bought from me have thanked me for that.

Fyi...I have Glocks, AK's, m1a's and other firearms that are known to take abuse yet I treat them as if they were to self destruct if I even touch it without a red velvet glove

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 9:46 PM
This is kind of off topic but have you ever thought about doing an action job to your saiga? I did a minor job and I noticed big changes. I will do a overhaul job when I can get a Krebs plate

leedog
06-03-2012, 9:53 PM
This is kind of off topic but have you ever thought about doing an action job to your saiga? I did a minor job and I noticed big changes. I will do a overhaul job when I can get a Krebs plate

I have heard I can lose the two stage trigger by installing a Tapco G2 trigger group. I have not heard of a Krebs yet. I dont feel confident enough to modify my stock trigger myself even though I have seen some U-Tube videos of it done. I might try it if you guys boost my confidence enough.

AngelZ3R0
06-03-2012, 9:53 PM
old tooth brush works wonders on the gastube. new if your rich. :mad:

leedog
06-03-2012, 9:57 PM
old tooth brush works wonders on the gastube. new if your rich. :mad:

I dont think I need a new one yet only 200rds down the gun. Toothbrush and Hoppes?

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 9:58 PM
I meant polishing all the sliding contact areas. If I have time and when I get the Krebs plate, I'll post later on. If you yank your handle, you'll notice that it feels very gritty and rough towards the back. You can easily fix that. Just make sure you don't remove metal, just polish to a shine and that's it

AngelZ3R0
06-03-2012, 10:00 PM
new toothbrush is what i meant. and yes on the hoppes

leedog
06-03-2012, 10:02 PM
I meant polishing all the sliding contact areas. If I have time and when I get the Krebs plate, I'll post later on. If you yank your handle, you'll notice that it feels very gritty and rough towards the back. You can easily fix that. Just make sure you don't remove metal, just polish to a shine and that's it

How polishing compound and a dremel?

JMP
06-03-2012, 10:07 PM
No need to clean it until you decide to retire it.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 10:46 PM
A dremel and correct ends will do wonders. Just go easy and slow

J.D.Allen
06-04-2012, 3:20 PM
I'm sure the Russians didn't clean their rifles that often when the Germans were breathing down their necks.:D

You would probably be right except that the AK never saw action in WWII. It was developed right after that war...

Ryan in SD
06-04-2012, 3:26 PM
200 rounds makes it clean!

2000 then its a little dirty

etc etc

leedog
06-04-2012, 6:42 PM
You would probably be right except that the AK never saw action in WWII. It was developed right after that war...

My bad, but I wonder how often they cleaned their Mosins?

digdug74
06-04-2012, 7:29 PM
Have shot a ton of Wolf over the years in ARs, AKs, and Mini 14s and never had a problem, often not cleaning for weeks or months with no damage to the rifles. However, I did come across this thread recently on AK47.net which has caused me to rethink that practice:

http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_4_54/143361_Wolf_Lacquer__CORROSIVE___pic_heavy_.html

The Right to Bear Arms
06-04-2012, 9:15 PM

Hey, Don't shoot I'm Chinese, lol.

How much does an action job for Saiga .308 IZ-139 run for ?...

Thanks and what do you think the about the 16" and 21" .308 Saiga guns?

RBA

leedog
06-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Have shot a ton of Wolf over the years in ARs, AKs, and Mini 14s and never had a problem, often not cleaning for weeks or months with no damage to the rifles. However, I did come across this thread recently on AK47.net which has caused me to rethink that practice:

http://www.ak47.net/forums/t_4_54/143361_Wolf_Lacquer__CORROSIVE___pic_heavy_.html

Thanks for the input. I have thoroughly cleaned my Saiga and enjoyed doing it. There is something about a man and his rifle and some cleaning supplies that bond the two together. I plan on a strict cleaning regimen after reading that thread, I don't want my rifle to ever look like that! I think I will spray some CLB down the barrel immediately after using it even if I plan on cleaning within the next 24 hours.

SURVIVOR619
06-05-2012, 7:02 AM
I have heard I can lose the two stage trigger by installing a Tapco G2 trigger group. I have not heard of a Krebs yet. I dont feel confident enough to modify my stock trigger myself even though I have seen some U-Tube videos of it done. I might try it if you guys boost my confidence enough.

Saiga was my first rifle (yes I am a rifle noob) and I modified the trigger myself thanks to help and education by good folks here, and Carolina Shooters Supply. It is WELL worth the effort! And, it is quite rewarding. Plus if you ever want to move away from the "innocent" sporting platform and go full eee-vil, you've included three parts towards 922r with the trigger upgrade. :43:

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-06-2012, 3:39 PM
I don't know how much shops will charge but its easy. I'll make a thread when I order my retainer plate

ZX-10R
06-06-2012, 5:25 PM
200 rounds makes it clean!

2000 then its a little dirty

etc etc

This...I have gone over 500+ rounds before cleaning and anything...I clean it when it looks really really dry.