PDA

View Full Version : ~$1,000 scope input/Recomendation needed

pontiacpratt
06-03-2012, 7:48 PM
Due to a few class action settlement payments I'm receiving from my employer I've decided to go "all out" and buy a good scope for my 700.
Right now I've got a Vortex Viper 6.5-21x44mm and plan on upgrading.
I'm looking at Bushnell:
http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/eliteTactical/Product/?n=17#!prettyPhoto
And Vortex:
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-6-24x50-ffp-riflescope-with-ebr-1-mrad-reticle/reticle
I'm a Vortex fanboy.... but, I'm hearing that Bushnell's glass in hard to beat.
Who is using them and let me know which would be preferred.

Short Action Precision
06-03-2012, 8:09 PM
Im using both and I would recommend the Bushnell 3.5-21 HDMR. It is hard to beat at its price point. The Glass is great and the G2 reticle is really nice. 34mm tube is great allows more light. If you dont want to spend that much then I would go with the Vortex PST 6-24. It is also the best in its price range.

pontiacpratt
06-04-2012, 5:09 AM
OK thanks.

t0kie
06-04-2012, 6:55 AM
How about Vortex PST in FFP?

Long Rifle
06-04-2012, 7:02 AM
I have the Bushnell 3.5-21 HDMR G2DMR and it's a bulky and heavy beast at 34oz. IMHO it's built strictly for tactical long range shooting. The 6-24 is only about a half pound lighter. They're great scopes, but not something I would take hunting especially if it involves a long hike. There's a bunch of nice reviews of the HDMR over at Sniper's Hide. Here's a very good video review of the 6-24 w/ mil-dot and illuminated reticle, but otherwise exactly the same scope:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCUZmH8n8g0

Good luck and let us know which one you chose.

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/_longrifle_/G2.jpg

http://i1022.photobucket.com/albums/af341/_longrifle_/398119903.jpg

pontiacpratt
06-04-2012, 8:10 AM
The $1500 for the HDMR is probably a little out of my price range. PST is Chinese glass? Bushnell Japanese glass? Those who have the PST does the scope cause eye strain? After a couple of hours looking through my basic Viper my eye feels fatigued. Also my Viper seems like if your eye is not dead center you loose the image. Does the PST have this issue?

BlindRacer
06-04-2012, 8:58 AM
Absolutely the Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50!!!

I just went to the range for the first time with this thing on my 26" 700. Wonderful Scope!

I was so impressed with it. It's on the heavy side, so probably not something too great for hunting or packing it any great distance, but great otherwise.

It's got everything I wanted. Mil retical/Mil turrets. The mil reticle has hash marks that are very clearly seen, and can measure in very small segments to get precise distances of objects. Also makes measuring for follow up shots very simple. Illuminated reticle if you are shooting in low light situations. SFP and FFP options. I went with the Second Focal...it was cheaper, and I didn't need to have the First Focal because I wasn't going to ever be using this gun in a time sensitive situation, so I figured I could take my time to find out the distances. Reticle is accurate at 24x, but has detents at 12x, 8x and 6x, so you can do the math at those points and measure on those as well. There is also very nice turrets with positive clicks, and it has a zero stop so you don't go too far when winding it back. Has always returned to zero for me, and all the reviews I've read about it before buying it have said the same for the box test, and a lot of long term use...always returns to zero.

I was just thoroughly impressed with this thing. Extremely robust, and Vortex has an excellent warranty.

And to top it off, out of my Remington 700 SPS varmint, 26" heavy barrel. Using Factory, Federal Sierra Match King BTHP 168gr ammo, I shot a 5 shot group at 100 yards as one ragged hole, measuring .35" MOA.

This group was with the flimsy SPS stock, and a simi heavy factory trigger.

I am completely convinced of this Viper PST scope, it's going to be put onto all of my precision builds indefinitely.

I definitely recommend this scope! I think I got it for somewhere around $700 ish. So that looks like it's well below your price range as well.

Hope that helps.

BlindRacer
06-04-2012, 9:02 AM
The $1500 for the HDMR is probably a little out of my price range. PST is Chinese glass? Bushnell Japanese glass? Those who have the PST does the scope cause eye strain? After a couple of hours looking through my basic Viper my eye feels fatigued. Also my Viper seems like if your eye is not dead center you loose the image. Does the PST have this issue?

I don't know about it being Chinese glass for the PST, but it is wonderfully clear. High standards if it is Chinese glass.

I was shooting for about 3 hours over the weekend. My eye wasn't fatigued. About losing the image...at 24x you do have to be pretty much at the sweet spot, but going that far zoomed in, it would be difficult to find a scope that you didn't have to be. Zooming out to 12x gives a ton of wiggle room for where you have to be. I had no trouble being at 24x however. Just get a good cheek weld, and you shouldn't have a problem.

707electrician
06-04-2012, 9:10 AM
I don't know about the adjustable zoom bushnells but my fixed 10x bushnell had great glass, super clear

Short Action Precision
06-04-2012, 9:14 AM
If the Bushnell HDMR is out of your range then I would go with the Vortex PST. You will not be disappointed.

Stoopy
06-04-2012, 9:20 AM

The hdmr is a little heavy but it is solid. It has a big eye box which makes it easy to get behind. Even at full magnification it's easy to get a sight picture. Pm short action precision, he should be able to get you a good price on one. I love my Hdmr.

bcrich
06-04-2012, 9:36 AM
I've got 2 pst's and a Razor from Short Action Precision and he's got the best deals, if I were to get anymore they will be thru him.

pontiacpratt
06-04-2012, 9:53 AM
OK thanks... PM inbound Short Action.

Hamstur
06-04-2012, 10:03 AM
You can get a used Bushnell DMR for about $1000 shipped. If that SWFA deal is still going, that SWFA SS 5-20 was $1050 by itself. Viper PST glass quality doesn't stack up to those two options.

dedub
06-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Can't go wrong with the Vortex Viper PST in FFP