View Full Version : NEW to AR 15

06-03-2012, 6:54 PM
i'm quite new to the ar flatform. while reading about the firearm, i always come to read about complete lower and complete upper. Does this mean that if i buy a complete ar 15 from lets say Smith & Wesson and i buy a complete lower or upper from a daniel defense would i be able to join either of the two together, thereby having "two guns" at a lower cost? Would it be CA legal to do that?
Any output would be much appreciated..:(

06-03-2012, 7:16 PM
yes and yes. the platform is made to be mostly modular. unless either DD or S&W is doing something proprietary with their components, they should bolt right together. there's nothing illegal about switching out otherwise-legal parts.

Purple K
06-03-2012, 7:17 PM
Generally, just about any upper will fit on any lower. However, there are a few that use proprietary parts. Do a little research before you $pend any dollar$

Mossy Man
06-03-2012, 7:22 PM
i'm thinking about getting a 20" upper for my M&P sport later to swap out

and then once i can get my hands on a $99 complete lower.....just call it a day

the led farmer
06-03-2012, 7:51 PM
Why not just buy the lower and a parts kit, and then pick out the upper you really want instead?

Mossy Man
06-03-2012, 8:00 PM
Why not just buy the lower and a parts kit, and then pick out the upper you really want instead?

so you can have 2 complete rifles

06-03-2012, 8:01 PM
OP, it's exactly like how it sounds. The parts on an AR-15 are pretty much universal. I bought my AR lower back in December and saved my cash. My lower is made by a local company out of Marysville, CA.

I bought my upper a few weeks ago. It's made by Rock River Arms. Once I had the lower put together, all I had to do was buy the upper, slap it together, and throw a stock on. Boom, done.

I thought it was odd as well. Now it just makes sense. There are guys with one or two lowers and five or six different uppers for various uses.

06-03-2012, 8:45 PM
The only problem you may run into with an AR lower/upper is some colt AR lowers/uppers have oversized pins. Other than that I can swap my JD Machine and Noveske lowers with my LMT, Noveske, and BCM uppers without a hitch. It's nice being able to bring one lower and two uppers to the range in one rifle case.

06-03-2012, 8:47 PM
It's fun to mix and match as long as it still safely goes boom. I've swapped out a couple of uppers on my lower with no problems at all.

Have fun with the AR platform. It has really grown on me.

06-03-2012, 9:09 PM
Ive been doing the mix and match for a while now... and slowly growing my collection of uppers when I see things I like.

I have two complete lowers, which I built from stripped lowers. One is more of a light weight carbine type setup and the other is more of a bench rest setup with a Magpul PRS stock. Both accept any upper I have but I use them for two totally different types of shooting.

I have 3 different uppers I can mix and match with.

I decided to take this route to keep cost down because it gets very expensive to have really fixed up lowers for every upper you own, especially if you put really expensive things into them like nice triggers and quality stocks.

I enjoy the AR platform a lot for this very reason.