PDA

View Full Version : Kriss Super V. Which way does it go?

nightwolf0215
06-03-2012, 5:50 PM
Im eyeing the Kriss Super V, and it got me thinking. I am debating in between which form I should get it in, the pistol version or the rifle version.

*** The pistol version ***

Does it need the bullet button to be legal? And what about that threaded barrel that has a cap over it. Is it cool like that?

Can I add a vertical front grip or slanted front grip to the pistol?

What if I get bored and want to convert it to a rifle version later? (the legal rifle version of course) Is that legal?

*** The rifle version ***

If I get it as a rifle, can I later modify it to being a pistol? Same exact thing as with the pistol version that is CA legal it is.

Capybara
06-03-2012, 7:50 PM
Please go shoot it before buying it. Not sure if you can find a range that rents one but it is a little bit of a quirky gun. The early batches had some issues, they are quite costly, especially for a pistol caliber carbine or pistol.

I like the gun but I think it is priced more than it is worth personally. I like the technology and the looks, it is cool but have you watched some of the video reviews? I just think you could buy multiple guns for the same money that would be as fun, if not more fun. But fun is in the eye of the beholder. I know my local range has a Kriss or two on order for rentals http://www.islandviewent.com/pages/Range-Memberships.html not sure if they received them yet.

I would definitely suggest the carbine if you buy one. SA large pistols are pretty useless, they are too hefty and large to really shoot like a pistol for very long. No different than the HK clone pistols or an Uzi pistol, who wants to hoist a 6-9 lb "pistol" out in front of them?

nightwolf0215
06-03-2012, 7:54 PM
I go to the OC indoor Range and they have one of those. Fun to shoot really. But yeah.. Im still torn by the cost. Can probably find one used for 1200-1400. Still very costly. This is not the first time I consider buying it. Somehow, it always come back to me wanting it.

Quiet
06-03-2012, 9:51 PM
Im eyeing the Kriss Super V, and it got me thinking. I am debating in between which form I should get it in, the pistol version or the rifle version.

*** The pistol version ***

Does it need the bullet button to be legal? And what about that threaded barrel that has a cap over it. Is it cool like that? Yes, it needs a maglock + 10 round magazine in order to be CA legal. Reason is because it accepts a magazine outside of the pistol grip. Because it is a fixed magazine pistol, it can legally have a threaded barrel in CA.

Can I add a vertical front grip or slanted front grip to the pistol? Only if you first get BATFE permission to make an AOW. A handgun with a vertical forward grip is a Title 2 firearm (AOW) and regulated under Federal laws (National Firearms Act of 1934), therefore you will need approval from the BATFE prior to installing a vertical forward grip to the handgun.

What if I get bored and want to convert it to a rifle version later? (the legal rifle version of course) Is that legal? In order to legally do this, you will need to install a 16" or greater barrel to the handgun prior to installing a shoulder stock.

*** The rifle version ***

If I get it as a rifle, can I later modify it to being a pistol? Same exact thing as with the pistol version that is CA legal it is.Not in CA. Making a rifle into a handgun, would be a SBR. In order to legally do this you will need to get BATFE approval to make a SBR.

Answers in red.

far from tactical
06-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Please go shoot it before buying it. Not sure if you can find a range that rents one but it is a little bit of a quirky gun. The early batches had some issues, they are quite costly, especially for a pistol caliber carbine or pistol.

I like the gun but I think it is priced more than it is worth personally. I like the technology and the looks, it is cool but have you watched some of the video reviews? I just think you could buy multiple guns for the same money that would be as fun, if not more fun. But fun is in the eye of the beholder. I know my local range has a Kriss or two on order for rentals http://www.islandviewent.com/pages/Range-Memberships.html not sure if they received them yet.

I would definitely suggest the carbine if you buy one. SA large pistols are pretty useless, they are too hefty and large to really shoot like a pistol for very long. No different than the HK clone pistols or an Uzi pistol, who wants to hoist a 6-9 lb "pistol" out in front of them?

that allready have both rifle and pistol to rent already i was there friday and they had them ready to go

toby77
06-04-2012, 12:17 AM
That's one expensive pistol....

nightwolf0215
06-04-2012, 1:12 AM
Answers in red.

That is very interesting! So conversion from pistol to rifle is ok as long as the length conforms with the law. But for a rifle to be shorten, its a felony without the right form. If I decide to get it, I will probably go for the pistol then.

But if I get a pistol, convert it to a legal rifle, Then converting it back would make it a SBR again?

JMP
06-04-2012, 1:42 AM
The KRISS Vector is cool and very unique looking. It shoots pretty well, but you may have some issues with functionality. It's big selling point is that it has a downward recoil to prevent muzzle climb, but you aren't going to be firing a machine gun version in CA, so muzzle climb is a moot point with a .45 ACP. If you are considering the rifle version, the HK USC is just a better gun in every way IMHO. Though, one plus of the KRISS is that it takes Glock 21 magazines, so if you own a Glock 21, that's pretty convenient.

norcalcyclist
06-04-2012, 7:09 AM
@ Quiet - doesn't the weapon need a pinned 1 round magazine? I thought since the magazine was located in the foregrip, it needed to be pinned to only accept 1 round?

rogervzv
06-04-2012, 7:32 AM
I think they do the SSE conversion to make the Kriss legal. That is what my local range said. They rent and sell the Kriss rifle and pistol there. Cool looking firearm, but I think I would rather have a top-notch American made 1911.

Capybara
06-04-2012, 7:36 AM
that allready have both rifle and pistol to rent already i was there friday and they had them ready to go

Good to know, they told me that they were on order a few weeks ago. I told them to also put an HK USC into rental. Pistol caliber carbines would be good for their 55' length.

Quiet
06-04-2012, 8:28 AM
But if I get a pistol, convert it to a legal rifle, Then converting it back would make it a SBR again?
Under Federal laws...
It is legal to go from a pistol -> rifle -> pistol, as long as it is never configured as a SBR (less than 16" barrel + shoulder stock).

However, under CA laws...
It's not legal to go from a pistol -> rifle -> pistol, because CA will view it as a SBR and not legal unless you have a valid CA DOJ BOF Dangerous Weapons Permit.

@ Quiet - doesn't the weapon need a pinned 1 round magazine? I thought since the magazine was located in the foregrip, it needed to be pinned to only accept 1 round?
Because the pistol version is not on the Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale, CA FFL dealers sell them set up as single-shot pistols.
After the single-shot pistol is transfered, the owner can legally modify it into a semi-auto pistol with a fixed 10 round magazine.

norcalcyclist
06-04-2012, 8:33 AM
Does the magazine being mounted in the foregrip (on the pistol) pose any issues with making it an Assault Weapon if using the 10 shot magazines?

I have one of these and am trying to figure out what I can and can't do to it without LEO giving me grief about it.

Thank you...

sirgiles
06-04-2012, 11:28 AM
i just wanna dispell any rumors about its functionality. mine has been failure free from the time i bought it.

duc748bip
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
The price has really came down on the carbine and pistol. On longgun i think you can have a grip fin to make the rifle featureless so you can use (if you had already) regular cap Glock21 mag.

Quiet
06-04-2012, 4:56 PM
Does the magazine being mounted in the foregrip (on the pistol) pose any issues with making it an Assault Weapon if using the 10 shot magazines?

I have one of these and am trying to figure out what I can and can't do to it without LEO giving me grief about it.

Thank you...
Main guidelines for it...

As long as the pistol version has a maglock + 10 round or less magazine, it is CA legal.

Attaching a vertical forward grip is a no-go (Federal felony), unless you have approval from the BATFE NFA Branch to make an AOW.

Attaching a shoulder stock is a no-go (Federal & state felonies), unless you have approval from the BATFE NFA Branch to make a SBR and have a valid CA DOJ BOF Dangerous Weapons Permit for a SBR.