PDA

View Full Version : 2 x 10 round magazine attachment question

rather_die_standing
06-03-2012, 5:22 PM
I have been wondering if i can take two separate 10 round magazines and attach them together base plate to base plate. you could only fire ten rounds per magazine before having to manually release, invert, and reinsert the other attached magazine. i did find this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=222951 but it was a few years back and was left kinda in limbo (conflicting opinions of tape being ok, but glue not? confusing to say the least). i was wondering if anyone has a heard of any further developments or clarifications on the legality of this kind of set up. thank you for reading.

oni.dori
06-03-2012, 6:01 PM
I have read threads on here that confirm using the commercial devices to couple 2+ mags together are G2G, however I am not sure about permanently attaching 2 mags together. INAL, but IMHO (and regardless of technical legality), that is just asking for the wrong kind of attention from the wrong people in CA's current environment.

motorhead
06-04-2012, 12:20 AM
the only way this might be clarified is if someone gets arrested for it.

oni.dori
06-04-2012, 7:36 AM
Not it.

Mongoblack23
06-04-2012, 8:23 AM
just for clarification, why would you want to do this? yes its basically legal, but why do it?

oni.dori
06-04-2012, 8:58 AM
I would assume quicker mag changes, same as any other coupling devices (and ignoring the "tacticool" factor.

rather_die_standing
06-04-2012, 10:38 PM
just for clarification, why would you want to do this? yes its basically legal, but why do it?

If you are asking if I need it.. like I need those +2 round extentions on my glock pre ban Mag's.. no of coarse not. Do I need a gun for that matter, maybe, maybe not as only time will tell if I use it for self defense as I buy my meat in the super market and don't depend on hunting to survive. Most everything I own I do not need, just want. In this particular case I have a bunch of short ar and mini-14 Mag's that are to short to tape together for more efficiant magazine swapping (cause why the heck not get the most out of what you own). So I was playing around with them and found that they would probably go together nicely like that and if glued together would fit in a standard mag pouch as well so I don't have to reach down and dig around for my little tens. And finally! What you have all been waiting for, it just looks cool and like I have an actual high cap mag in my gun without having to pay money and a weight penalty for those 10/20 Mag's knowing they have a bunch of emptiness in them just bugs me. So no really just a tinkerer who wants to maximise my efficiency with the Mag's I already have.

DJ Skillz
06-04-2012, 10:46 PM
Seems to me like a regular old magazine coupler might be a better idea anyway. You wouldn't want to have rounds falling out the bottom of the magazine. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

rather_die_standing
06-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Seems to me like a regular old magazine coupler might be a better idea anyway. You wouldn't want to have rounds falling out the bottom of the magazine. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

That is a valid point you make sir.. prob with th coupler is my compilation of compact 10 rounders do not extend beyond the mag well far enough :(

morthrane
06-04-2012, 11:57 PM

You know those covers that come on a pmag? Mount a rivet on it to use as a BB tool: mag empty, yank the cover off, use cover to activate BB, flip mag and insert, cap unsidedown mag.

If it was really cool, the cap would have a built-in stripper clip guide, so you could reload the upsidedown mag without removing the rightsideup mag from the well.

DJ Skillz
06-05-2012, 12:10 AM
You know those covers that come on a pmag? Mount a rivet on it to use as a BB tool: mag empty, yank the cover off, use cover to activate BB, flip mag and insert, cap unsidedown mag.

If it was really cool, the cap would have a built-in stripper clip guide, so you could reload the upsidedown mag without removing the rightsideup mag from the well.

That could work. Except having to fiddle with the little covers would negate the whole reason for attaching two mags--quick mag changes. That, and if you're using PMAGS, you'd have to have at least a 10/20 or 10/30, so you would have enough room to mount a mag coupler.

morthrane
06-05-2012, 12:37 AM
That could work. Except having to fiddle with the little covers would negate the whole reason for attaching two mags--quick mag changes. That, and if you're using PMAGS, you'd have to have at least a 10/20 or 10/30, so you would have enough room to mount a mag coupler.

If you want quick mag changes, go featureless right?

The pmag cover was just an example-- wouldn't make sense to use a pair of 20-30 round bodies when you just want a pair of ten's end to end.

motorhead
06-05-2012, 12:52 AM
velcro. the heavy industrial stuff. no one could ever say it's permanant.

rather_die_standing
06-05-2012, 1:08 AM
velcro. the heavy industrial stuff. no one could ever say it's permanant.

HD VECRO.. WOW now there is a thought!

Sir Stunna Lot
06-05-2012, 1:53 AM
"2 x 10 round" is exactly what it is:

two magazines holding 10 rounds each

there still needs a reload when you are "changing" mags between the two

no penal codes against 10 rounds mags, no penal codes for attaching mags together

oni.dori
06-05-2012, 8:27 AM
Do I need a gun for that matter, maybe, maybe not...

Blasphemy!

FalconLair
06-05-2012, 10:18 AM

i say "why not"? it should come down to a matter of choice, not why? why buy a car that can go 180mph? you're not really gonna be driving 180mph are ya? my point being, we shouldn't have to have a logical reason to wanna do something, if its within our legal right to do, then it should be up to the individual to decide, based on his own free will, whether or not he wants to do it

aren't there already enough anti-gunners using the "why do you need this and that" question to try and limit peoples rights?

oh, and my apologies, Mongo, im not trying to be sarcastic with you, your question just brought that thought to my mind

shy 7th
06-05-2012, 10:28 AM
"2 x 10 round" is exactly what it is:

two magazines holding 10 rounds each

there still needs a reload when you are "changing" mags between the two

no penal codes against 10 rounds mags, no penal codes for attaching mags together

I'm waiting for someone to take this to the next step and make a KSG-style AR mag coupler... one that requires a manual action (switch, lever) that would switch between the two (or three :rolleyes:) magazines.

rather_die_standing
06-05-2012, 3:41 PM
I'm waiting for someone to take this to the next step and make a KSG-style AR mag coupler... one that requires a manual action (switch, lever) that would switch between the two (or three :rolleyes:) magazines.

exactly my point!! for that matter we should be able to have drum mag that has a lock up/like in a clockworks ever ten rounds then we hit a lever/switch and allow the next ten rounds into to "feeding" portion of the magazine. try running that by the doj.

god help us all from the laws that are supposed to protect us.

motorhead
06-06-2012, 12:33 PM
won't fly. switch has to use a TOOL. NOW IF SAID UNIT HAD A BB ON THE "SWITCH"...

Mongoblack23
06-06-2012, 2:54 PM
If you are asking if I need it.. like I need those +2 round extentions on my glock pre ban Mag's.. no of coarse not. Do I need a gun for that matter, maybe, maybe not as only time will tell if I use it for self defense as I buy my meat in the super market and don't depend on hunting to survive. Most everything I own I do not need, just want. In this particular case I have a bunch of short ar and mini-14 Mag's that are to short to tape together for more efficiant magazine swapping (cause why the heck not get the most out of what you own). So I was playing around with them and found that they would probably go together nicely like that and if glued together would fit in a standard mag pouch as well so I don't have to reach down and dig around for my little tens. And finally! What you have all been waiting for, it just looks cool and like I have an actual high cap mag in my gun without having to pay money and a weight penalty for those 10/20 Mag's knowing they have a bunch of emptiness in them just bugs me. So no really just a tinkerer who wants to maximise my efficiency with the Mag's I already have.

i get what your saying, and please dont take it like i was putting you down or anything. like you, most of what i own is a want not a life need. you clarification here makes a good argument for doing it, and done right, you should still be able to disassemble them.... when i wrote the original response, i had pistols on the brain and was thinking pistols mags... dont know why, just was. in an AR it does make some sense.

Mongoblack23
06-06-2012, 2:57 PM
i say "why not"? it should come down to a matter of choice, not why? why buy a car that can go 180mph? you're not really gonna be driving 180mph are ya? my point being, we shouldn't have to have a logical reason to wanna do something, if its within our legal right to do, then it should be up to the individual to decide, based on his own free will, whether or not he wants to do it

aren't there already enough anti-gunners using the "why do you need this and that" question to try and limit peoples rights?

oh, and my apologies, Mongo, im not trying to be sarcastic with you, your question just brought that thought to my mind

not a problem at... usually im of that mindset, why not rather than why, but for some reason i couldnt stop myself. i think its becasue like i just mentioned, i was thinking pistol mags, and it just seemed like more of a hassle than it was worth...

Sir Stunna Lot
06-07-2012, 12:00 AM

well... technically, the KSG has 2 mag tubes and the "switch" dictates which mag is feeding the breech.

it would be illegal to have a AR style mag with a switch because the mag itself sould hold "more than 10 rounds" regardless of how many switches it has

to make a KSG-ish AR, you would need a lower receiver that could accept 2 mags with a switch that would select the mag feeding the gun

Sir Stunna Lot
06-07-2012, 12:00 AM
won't fly. switch has to use a TOOL. NOW IF SAID UNIT HAD A BB ON THE "SWITCH"...

KSG doesnt need any tools...

Mongoblack23
06-07-2012, 9:59 AM
One of my sons Nerf guns is built like this. Fifteen darts, pull it out, flip it, fifteen more darts. Oy!

obviously a featureless nerf gun, owned before 2000 right? or a RADG (registered assault dart gun)?