PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 336 Jam

partialme
06-03-2012, 3:52 PM
My Marlin 336 in 30-30 won't cycle like it should. New rifle, and used snap caps to test functionality before firing. I understand this is not an isolated issue, and would like help.

land locked
06-03-2012, 3:56 PM
Do you have pics or more of a description of how it is jammed?

partialme
06-03-2012, 4:12 PM
Do you have pics or more of a description of how it is jammed?

Unfortunately I have no pics. The rifle as I understand it, has a six shot capacity. I can get 1 round in the feed gate and that will cycle, if I try loading more, it fails to feed. Have read about other owners having similar issues. Using Remington, and Hornady Leverevolution ammunition. Was wondering if there is a known break-in period.

land locked
06-03-2012, 4:34 PM
Are you sure there is nothing binding on the magazine spring? Have you throughly taken the rifle apart for cleaning yet?

rainsb
06-03-2012, 4:37 PM
I've read on a Marlin oriented site that there are a few causes of the failures to feed. One common one shows the round stuck diagonally. The easy fix for this type was to bend a little tab outward that, iirc, is behind the round with a flat head screwdriver or the like. But there were other issues to be sure. There's a LOT of info out there about the newer Marlins with these issues, and most of them seem to be easy enough to take care of at home.

mattt
06-03-2012, 5:01 PM
Ok are you useing snap caps or real ammo when this happens?

ptgarcia
06-03-2012, 8:35 PM
Make sure the loading gate spring screw is tight. A loose screw will cause jams. Another potential cause is the carrier. When it's the culprit it needs a slight bend to fix the timing. The guys at MarlinOwners.com can walk you through that adjustment.