PDA

View Full Version : Midway USA compact range bag

barca101
06-03-2012, 4:09 PM
I've been reading and youtubing reviews of this great bag and decided to purchase one. I thought the competition bag is to large, so I just ordered a OD Green compact range bag. It's on sale for 29.99 until the end of the month. The shipping was a killer at 15+. I had the live chat lady check if there was another inexpensive shipping option. she checked, but the lady told me it will be shipped in a large box so it doesn't get bent or damaged. I can't wait to get it.

What's your experience with this bag?

mikeinla
06-03-2012, 4:43 PM
I've been reading and youtubing reviews of this great bag and decided to purchase one. I thought the competition bag is to large, so I just ordered a OD Green compact range bag. It's on sale for 29.99 until the end of the month. The shipping was a killer at 15+. I had the live chat lady check if there was another inexpensive shipping option. she checked, but the lady told me it will be shipped in a large box so it doesn't get bent or damaged. I can't wait to get it.

What's your experience with this bag?

It's a range bag. Bent or Damaged??? I stopped ordering from Midway along time ago as there shipping charges are outragous compared to Brownells. If you place a large order at Brownells and stuff is backordered they do not charge you shipping again, Midway will charge shipping over and over for each item they sent you. I know because I ordered one of the bags and paid for shipping for the bag and then PAID AGAIN for an item that did not come in until a month later.
The bag is alright but I will never order from them again

lwlaml
06-03-2012, 4:59 PM
I have the competition bag and love it. Turns out I can find things to fill it. I have no regrets getting the bigger bag.

dragon7
06-03-2012, 5:37 PM
I just ordered the compact range bag too. Bought it as a birthday gift for my son. I've seen one up close and think it's a great value for the price. Seems to have copied some of the best features of the full size Shooters Connection bag that I currently have.

I was shocked at the shipping price also. I like Midway and it's support of shooting sports but the price it's charging for shipping and handling is getting prohibitive. The only reason I continued with my order was that the bag was marked down 50%. Midway as a result of this is not my go to online source for shooting products anymore.

ckyrulez
06-03-2012, 5:46 PM
The shipping was a killer at 15+. ?

I bought the larger range bag a couple months ago and paid $16 for shipping. Couldn't believe it. Usually I would not pay that much for shipping but the bag was on sale, I knew that it was good quality, and the savings + no tax made up for the high shipping cost.

1911Luvr
06-03-2012, 5:47 PM
I have the competition bag and love it. Turns out I can find things to fill it. I have no regrets getting the bigger bag.

I love mine!

40SWGlock
06-03-2012, 5:57 PM
I have the compact in OD green also. So far I got no complaints with the bag itself. I like it and its perfect size for me.
As for Midway my shipping was also very high. Half the cost of the bag.

mls204
06-03-2012, 6:11 PM
I have the same bag OP bought. It is still holding up good even though I don't treat it well. The zippers are the only source of problem on my bag. Some of the handle cords have fallen off and the main compartment zipper will occasionally get stuck if I close it all the way. I just fixed the zipper issue w/ zip ties.

I agree about Midway's shipping charges being ridiculous. I don't understand why they can't just make some deal with UPS and offer free shipping, or start a program like Amazon Prime where subscribers get free shipping. I continue to buy from them b/c I'm a sucker and they usually have what I want/need. I just wait until I have a large enough order to justify the shipping cost.

batangueno
06-03-2012, 6:12 PM
I got mine last week. Looks like most got the OD green, and i thought everyone else will have the black one. :D

loose_electron
06-03-2012, 6:18 PM
At the time I bought this I got one of the large ones and the mid size. The large range bag is too big in my opinion. I like two smaller bags instead, just easier to handle.

But, to each their own, folks may prefer just the one.

Bug Splat
06-03-2012, 7:31 PM
I have the large competition and love it. I can fit 4 pistols inside (could hold 10+ if I really wanted) and have room for ammo, mags, tools, tapes, stickers, and ever a water bottle. Its an amazing range bag for sure. When I go rifle shooting my chrono fits inside and my tripod gets tied to the side. Its my do everything bag now. Took it out camping last month. Held a few changes of clothes, toiletries, snacks, flashlights, tools, my pistol and anything else I needed.

RDT
06-03-2012, 9:29 PM
Like the above posted, great bag. I have the competition bag and it has lasted years of abuse and has carried well in excess of 1,000 rounds 2 handguns and spare parts in rain and shine for over a year and a half without a hitch. Midway bags and rifle cases are a great deal, money well spent.

Javi
06-03-2012, 10:28 PM
I love my compact range bag from them. I first bought with the large competition range bag and loved that one too but as a shooter who mostly goes by himself, it was too much for my needs although it was excelent, loved all the pockets it came with & the pistol rugs. This compact one still fits a good amount of ammo & other essentials with a good amount of room for my 10 pistol mags. Had to order two matching pistol rugs to go with the bag but no biggie. I can fit through the door of the indoor range much easier now :) My strap hasn't broken off with the weight of everything so it's pretty durable. Would have been nice if it was lockable without modifying the bag but my trunk is my lockable case so no biggie. I highly recommend it to anyone, it goes on sale for a great price.

Free shipping offers would be nice, Midway!

Bastard
06-03-2012, 10:34 PM
I have both & they are probably the best deal out there for a range bag. As far as size there is plenty of room as long as you are not trying to take the kitchen sink with you. As far as quality; I have not seen anything in either bag to say anything bad about it, I can not say the same for other more expensive bags

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Slim///
06-03-2012, 10:44 PM
I have one, and am more than satisfied with it.

B16
06-03-2012, 11:00 PM
I have the OD Large Bag and that thing is huge! A buddy ordered the CImpact rangebag and that one looked and felt much better. The thinkg I noticed was that while the outer bags were the same, the middle where the guns/ammo are stored had more room for ammo.

So if you have only two handguns and the ammo, the compact bag is plenty big. If you're planning to pack 4+ guns and about 10 boxes of ammo, then the larger bag would work.

But all in all, both bags are great. I'm actually planning to order the compact when I get a bigger order together.

hyeg35
06-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I agree with B16. Excellent bag.

kb58
06-04-2012, 7:04 AM
It's the only range bag that seems to always get reviews of "10."

Brandon04GT
06-04-2012, 7:34 AM
I bought the compact one as well. I like how it came in a HUGE box with the range bag in a much smaller box inside of it, along with some small random bits and pieces loosely packed in the outside box. It was a waste of space and shipping costs.

Aside from that, I find Midway's shipping prices mostly reasonable. If you are buying small stuff then they can ship it to your via USPS first class mail for only a few bucks.

Echidin
06-04-2012, 7:40 AM
I have it and like it. I've had mine for a few years now so I'm not sure if Midway has made any changes to it, but the one I have easily fits two pistols, eyes, ears, cleaning supplies, extra magazines, holsters, ammo and everything else I need for a trip to the range. Good value for the money, in my opinion.

billt
06-04-2012, 8:18 AM
I stopped ordering from Midway along time ago as there shipping charges are outragous compared to Brownells.

Midway will ship any way you want them to. USPS Priority Mail will always arrive faster to me, (Phoenix, Az.), then UPS Ground or Basic. Plus it's always MUCH CHEAPER. But you have to discuss this with the person taking your order. If you don't they will choose the shipping method. I don't ever put anything on backorder. It's easier to to have them notify you by E-Mail when the item you want arrives.

Lead Waster
06-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I just ordered the large one. I had actually bought a Husky Tool Bag for $30 from HD, but I might return it now. I've been using my MTM "Shooters Accessories Range Box" for a long time and it's nice and organized ... for rifle shooting. It doesn't fit pistols well. I thought I might try the compact bag then decided that when I go to a match, I want to have enough space for all my crap AND LUNCH. So oddly, being able to fit a lunch in with my stiff holster belt and a jacket prompted me to go for the large bag. Though I had also considered getting both (one for matches, one for indoor range). THen I got cheap and just bought the large one.

I like to organize my handguns using the excellent Midway "Tactical Pistol Rug". Every gun has it's own, so the magazines, gun and ammo are in a nice organized bag in the safe. Then to take to the range, just grab the right one and put it in the larger range bag. Then the eyes/ear pro and tagets, and uplula, etc, etc, can just live in the range bag.

I was also using a POS vinyl gym bag which broke when I was hauling crap to the range. The shoulder strap broke ... it was only sewn into the top seam of the bag! What a piece of junk!

Oh, and I think OD is "better" than black simply because all my gun stuff is black anyway and I don't want to have to hunt for black items in a black bag.

Javi
06-04-2012, 1:40 PM
Oh, and I think OD is "better" than black simply because all my gun stuff is black anyway and I don't want to have to hunt for black items in a black bag.

Hides dirt well too if you shoot outdoors a lot.

ckyrulez
06-04-2012, 4:38 PM
I love my compact range bag from them. I first bought with the large competition range bag and loved that one too but as a shooter who mostly goes by himself, it was too much for my needs although it was excelent, loved all the pockets it came with & the pistol rugs. This compact one still fits a good amount of ammo & other essentials with a good amount of room for my 10 pistol mags. Had to order two matching pistol rugs to go with the bag but no biggie. I can fit through the door of the indoor range much easier now :) My strap hasn't broken off with the weight of everything so it's pretty durable. Would have been nice if it was lockable without modifying the bag but my trunk is my lockable case so no biggie. I highly recommend it to anyone, it goes on sale for a great price.

Does the compact bag get pretty cramped when you have two pistols in there at the same time? I ordered the large bag because I liked the removable inner ammo bag and thought it'd be nice to have the extra space if I needed it. But the large bag is HUGE... Not sure if I want to lug that to the indoor range every single time I go.

sanjosebmx
06-04-2012, 6:40 PM
I have both, and the compact bag fits 2 pistols no problem....

CLguMQgnJxA

Dismal_Scientist
06-04-2012, 7:36 PM
Does the compact bag get pretty cramped when you have two pistols in there at the same time? I ordered the large bag because I liked the removable inner ammo bag and thought it'd be nice to have the extra space if I needed it. But the large bag is HUGE... Not sure if I want to lug that to the indoor range every single time I go.
PLENTY of room for 2 pistols in the compact bag.

I have both the full-size/large and the compact. I've pretty much quit using the large bag unless I'm going to a multi-day course.

ckyrulez
06-04-2012, 8:43 PM
I have both, and the compact bag fits 2 pistols no problem....

CLguMQgnJxA

Excellent video! I remember watching this exact one a couple months ago on YouTube when I was trying to decide what range bag to buy.

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-04-2012, 9:11 PM
I have the smaller version of the two available and i LOVE IT. its perfect and cheap. I haven't found another one that in the same price range and the quality .

kpinole
06-04-2012, 9:22 PM
compact one is big enough for me and 3 pistols. Large one is overkill.

skxf430
06-04-2012, 9:48 PM
small is fine for 2 pistols and plenty of ammo

chrisf
06-05-2012, 2:01 AM
It's a range bag. Bent or Damaged??? I stopped ordering from Midway along time ago as there shipping charges are outragous compared to Brownells. If you place a large order at Brownells and stuff is backordered they do not charge you shipping again, Midway will charge shipping over and over for each item they sent you. I know because I ordered one of the bags and paid for shipping for the bag and then PAID AGAIN for an item that did not come in until a month later.
The bag is alright but I will never order from them again
There shipping may be more but there shipping time seals the deal for me. Ive always had great service there. Sorry you had a bad time.

M27
06-05-2012, 2:20 AM
my girlfriend has the small midway bag and she likes it

I use this and like the many pockets

http://www.rangerjoes.com/1-PHENIX-GEAR-Bag-Tactical-Response-P2867.aspx

it goes on sale for 30 every once and a while

roc_my_tims
06-05-2012, 7:13 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm going to look int getting the small bag

Bastard
06-05-2012, 9:30 AM
the small bag would be almost perfect if it had the cup holder thing that the big one has:cheers2:

tonyxcom
06-05-2012, 10:24 AM
I've had both Midway bags and after 6 or 7 months I started to notice some durability issues. On my large bag the velcro on the top flap started to come loose. And on both bags I noticed some threads breaking around some higher stressed points. There are still a great value though IMO.

I switched to an even smaller range bag and I can still fit everything I need to take to either the rifle or pistol range. It no longer fits my spotting scope but I can put that in the outer pocket of my rifle bag when I need it.

Lead Waster
06-05-2012, 10:58 AM
I went the overkill route with the big bag. I've been using a rigid range box that is more for rifles and I crush in my pistol rugs and stuff.

Funny thing Bastard mentioned the cup holder ... I actually considered that in my decision!

I've also heard durability issues with the Midway bags, especially over at the Brian Enos site, but those guys are hard core competitive shooters who lug the bags to the range twice every weekend!

Some guys say they can wreck any bag, regardless of price. Some guys buy the nice big bags and say they will last, other guys gave up and will only buy cheap bags more often.

Like I may have said, I picked up a "Husky" tool bag at Home Depot to use as a "small range bag". I have yet to use it, but it's made of 1680 denier nylon. It is tough and will be extremely durable, but I decided I should really just buy a purpose made range bag.

I went with large over compact because it was only 15 bucks more (the sale price on the big bag is now $45, instead of $40 that it had been for ever :( ) and you get the inner "stage" bag and a brass bag. and the cup holder :p