PDA

View Full Version : Boresnake for 91/30 Mosin Nagant

Kahyne
06-03-2012, 12:59 PM
What's up everyone. I was just curious if anyone has used a boresnake for their mosin. If so, which one did you use? If not, what do you use to clean inside the barrel? Thanks in advance for all the info.

MakeYaBootyBurn
06-03-2012, 1:12 PM
Hoppes number nine & patches!

Kinsel83
06-03-2012, 1:55 PM
I've used the 30 cal boresnake. I believe it's the biggest boresnake before you hit the 12 gauge one. I havent bought one in awhile. And Use hot water before you start your regular cleaning routine.

laabstract
06-03-2012, 1:57 PM
Windex for corrosive ammo and patches with hoppes number nine

Fate
06-03-2012, 1:58 PM
Use the green .30 cal one. They make a grey one for 8mm (too large). That said, I don't like the boresnake for actual cleaning.

TacticalPlinker
06-03-2012, 4:58 PM
Since it's 7.62mm, there .30 caliber version should work.

You don't really need Windex, water will work. But only to flush the corrosive materials out. Then you need to use solvent followed by oil. As others have said, I also like Hoppes for both.

But don't use a bore snake for the initial cleaning. I'm sure there will be far too much crap (ex. cosmoline) to really be effective. You should use a rod and brush with patches, the old style way.

I use bore snakes for range cleaning and regular cleaning. They always leave my bores clean and shiny. But I don't get my guns really dirty or shot corrosive ammo. You can also wash and reuse a bore snake, though they should be replaced every so often. They have a tendency to fray and the integrated brush doesn't work as well after several dozen cleanings.

mosinnagantm9130
06-03-2012, 5:02 PM
I have a .30 that I use on mine. I follow it up with a tipton rod and hoppes though.

6mmintl
06-03-2012, 5:10 PM
Use a coated rod and patch, what with this boresnake "Field Expedient" cleaning kit POS?

Their dirty, you get chemicals on your hands, you have to wash them after use, and they dont clean a bore as well as you may think if you thought about their use at all before buying.

Did all the WWII mil-surp bore snake/chain cleaning kits disappear?

Kappy
06-03-2012, 9:13 PM
I use a 30 cal... it's a 30 cal round, after all.

I stopped shooting corrosive ammo, choosing first to reload, then to cast. When I was shooting regular reloads, I was using the snake. Then I switched to cast boolits, which kind of requires that I use a one-piece cleaning rod.

bob7122
06-03-2012, 9:33 PM
i use the boresnake for oiling the inside pre storage. use .308 boresnake.

i use CLP powderblast for corrosive ammo, then MPpro-7, followed up with short and long bore brushes/patches, finally to put the gun away i spray the boresnake with a nice coating of CLP.

Kappy
06-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Oh... I use break cleaner. Forgot to add that.

phrogg111
06-03-2012, 10:53 PM
I've used the 30 cal boresnake. I believe it's the biggest boresnake before you hit the 12 gauge one. I havent bought one in awhile. And Use hot water before you start your regular cleaning routine.

I've got a .44 mag/.45 bore snake, a .50 bore snake for my .500 S&W, and a 9mm bore snake (same as .38 sp and .380). Those are all bigger than .30 cal.

Bore snakes work fine. I spray powder solvent until it drips out of my barrel, leave it for a few minutes, spray again, then tie the bore snake in a circle and pull it through 10 times. Then I spray rem oil to get the solvent out and run the snake through again.

Works fine with corrosive ammo.

FeuerFrei
06-04-2012, 10:58 AM

^^ here
This is really all you need.
Remove the bolt
Dump boiling hot water down the tube
Boresnake it
More hot water
Snake it again
Rinse and repeat as you see fit.
Water will dry up fast (boiling hot)
Oil the snake and swab the bore.
Done.

KAIFS
06-04-2012, 4:00 PM
I use new viper kits for my 6.5x55 and 30cal and both work good for the quick field cleaning. Used Otis to break in two 700s and have no complaints. unroll, spray cleaning, drip oil, wrap included handle and pull. For complete breakdowns and cleaning jobs I use real nice one piece rods and Hoppes products - stinks but works.

steveOsteezy
06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
.30 cal boresnake and break free CLP are what I use for my mosin

Kahyne
06-05-2012, 4:03 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. Didn't realize there was so many responses...I guess I should of clicked on the subscribe button. :D

All the cosmoline is off already...just wondering if the boresnake will work after being at the range. I bought a Hoppes cleaning kit and it came with the lubricant and cleaner. I'll remember to bring it along with me when done shooting at the range.