PDA

View Full Version : Smiths who do AR15 headspace?

Sturnovik
06-03-2012, 8:45 AM
I just ordered a Aero precision stripped upper and was planning on putting the barrel and bolt carrier group from a carbon 15 in the new one since it's not polymer. I hear headspace is something important to have looked at? Any suggestions or smiths in mind?

ENVYGREEN
06-03-2012, 9:07 AM
Headspace is important in anything other than a AR

Yemff
06-03-2012, 9:10 AM
headspace is set by the barrel extension, if your really worried about it buy a no go gauge and check it, no smith required.

voiceoftheright
06-03-2012, 9:19 AM
I read mixed things as well and just installed two without headspacing. As long as you remember to tighten not loosen your barrel nut to aline holes I read it's pretty difficult to not be in spec. Mine fire great and feed ramps all lined up fine.

Yemff
06-03-2012, 9:35 AM
I read mixed things as well and just installed two without headspacing. As long as you remember to tighten not loosen your barrel nut to aline holes I read it's pretty difficult to not be in spec. Mine fire great and feed ramps all lined up fine.

the feed ramps being lined up has nothing to do with headspace, neither does how tight your barrel nut is(not that it should be loose). The guide pin on the barrel extension would affect feed ramp alignment. Op, unless your bolt or barrel are very used or very out of spec, headspace on ARs is really not an issue. Like I said before, if you feel the need just spend $30 on a headspace gauge and check it yourself.

Sturnovik
06-03-2012, 10:27 AM
Yea, I mean the bushmaster barrel and BCG work fantastic, so as long as I have a gunsmith put it in, it would probally be fine? After buying that aero I realized I probally need to buy a new barrel nut since it's a new upper?

glock21fan
06-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I've built over a dozen ar's from the ground up. Never once had to check headspace.

707electrician
06-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Headspace is still important in an AR but the upper receiver/barrel nut has nothing to do with it. If you are swapping in a barrel and bolt that have been used together you will be fine as long as the headspace was good to begin with.

Sturnovik
06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
So it sounds like since there working already in the carbon that I shouldn't worry. I don't have the tools for the installation though. It an involved process?