PDA

View Full Version : Bolt Action Question?

my_name_is_john
06-02-2012, 10:57 PM
I am looking to purchase a my first bolt action rifle. I really like the Savage rifles. I am not sure which model to get. I will be using it more for target shooting. I would like to eventually shoot at 1000 yards or more. Which model do you think would be best? I am more interested in shooting a .308 cal. Also, I am interested in upgrading my rifle. You know, making it look more tactical. Like getting a new stock for it and all that good stuff. What kind of different stocks are out there, and would any stock fit any rifle? Also, can you build a bolt action rifle like you would an AR? Like buying the barrel, then stock, then trigger mechanism, separately and putting them together yourself, of have a gunsmith doing it for you once you got all of your parts. Thanks guys, I know this is a lot, but i've been asking around, and could never get a straight answer.

Merc1138
06-02-2012, 11:13 PM
I'll answer what I can.

1. Upgrade to look more tactical? If you're after looks, that's really not an "upgrade". You're talking about cosmetic changes. Also, considering that a "tactical looking bolt action" can be had with a black synthetic stock, I don't see what it is you think you need to change to make it look "tactical". If you're really that concerned with how it looks, then I suggest you actually take a look at some pictures of tactical rifles first.

2. No, you can't just use any stock. You need to get a stock that is inlet for your receiver(aka action). A remington 700 stock isn't going to fit a savage stock without a lot of work(filling, more inletting). Considering you mentioned savage, there are a number of companies that make stocks pre-inlet for them. This doesn't necessarily mean it'll be a drop in fit in every instance. You may also need to bed the stock(look that up).

3. Yeah, you can build a bolt action like an AR. You'll still need the receiver to go through an FFL. Unfortunately it's not necessarily as easy to put together as an AR and you may find yourself needing some specialized tools depending on the rifle you're putting together. Depending on the barrel you get, you might even need a lathe. There are a number of gunsmiths who can indeed build a custom rifle for you. Just keep in mind that you're looking at spending a lot of money for that. You can build an AR from scratch for $7-800, for a bolt action rifle you're probably going to be looking at well over $1000 depending on what kind of work needs to be done.

4. If you want an idea of what stocks are available, go look up stocks for the model rifle you're interested in on brownells or midwayusa. That'll give you a start. Then of course there are the semi-custom stock builders, and custom stock builders. Manners, McMillan, etc. You could end up spending $200-$1000 on a stock. Depends on what you're after.

You're probably going to be better off starting with a factory out of the box $600 rifle, then if you really want something custom later on, you'll have a better idea of what you want.

bjl333
06-02-2012, 11:16 PM
For a stock rifle the 10FP in 308 is a good choice. There are some here on sale every so often! Building a rifle isn't as easy as building as AR. Yes, you could buy an action, barrel, stock ... etc and have a gun smith put everything together for you. But the cost will be up there for what basically is a custom rifle. I you want to go that route, I would recommand just look into buying a custom rifle in the first place.

There are a few semi customs on the market as well. Just go to the various manufacturer's website and see what they have to offer. Most from Remington, Savage, Tikka and a few others will offer reliable off the shelf semi custom tactical rifles that should tickle your fancy!

Scope is another thing you'll need to spend some decent money on. Search around and see what you want. Vortex Viper PST FFP comes to mind as that is one of the scopes I have personally.

Good Luck!!!

my_name_is_john
06-02-2012, 11:24 PM
I am planning on starting off with a factory out of the box rifle first. I was planning ahead. Thanks for the info. When I said tactical looking, I meant that I have seen some pics of some really nice rifles on here. I know that they are not sold like that. So I wanted to get some information on how to they did that with their rifles. Thanks Merc, that was a lot of info you provided.

my_name_is_john
06-02-2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks BJ, I am aware of the scope costs and the choices out there. That will be another headache I will have to deal with. Thanks for the for the info. I will definitely look into the 10FP.

Vacaville
06-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Savage makes great rifles. However, if you want something that will have the most aftermarket parts available, get a Remington 700 SPS. Should run about $600, and you'll have lots of options to customize it. Also, if you're going to want to shoot long-range expect to spend at least $500 on a scope, another $100 for mounts and rings.

Merc1138
06-03-2012, 12:15 AM
I am planning on starting off with a factory out of the box rifle first. I was planning ahead. Thanks for the info. When I said tactical looking, I meant that I have seen some pics of some really nice rifles on here. I know that they are not sold like that. So I wanted to get some information on how to they did that with their rifles. Thanks Merc, that was a lot of info you provided.

I'm still not sure what you mean by "tactical looking". Do you mean the camo jobs? Krylon, Cerakote, Duracoat, and some creativity with stencils is where that comes from.

This is "tactical looking"
http://www.freewebs.com/262neck/A%20good-looking%20rifle.jpg It's a camo stock with an adjustable cheek rest. Nothing really tactical about the cheek rest.

This is also "tactical looking"
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7149/6632705293_75ec4698ea_b.jpg
It has a chassis instead of a stock, can use AR grips, AR stocks, detachable mags, etc. But it doesn't need all of that to be "tactical".

Browse through this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=47532

Looks aren't everything, and something that almost looks like someone's hunting rifle could just as easily be used by a police sniper. Keep in mind that some of those stocks that look a little more "plain" can cost just as much as the ones that look like they belong in a sci-fi movie.

sotastyy
06-03-2012, 12:18 AM
+1 on scope and rings

LaRue mounting system and a FFP scope is common/ideal for what you want to do

baih777
06-03-2012, 5:58 AM
attached is a pic of my Savage FCP-K. its not a 1000yd rifle. but for target shooting at angeles, it works for me.

this may be my next savage in a 300win
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

also go to the savage website and look at their target rifles

my_name_is_john
06-03-2012, 7:29 PM
That's a nice rifle you got Baih.

my_name_is_john
06-03-2012, 7:33 PM
Thanks for sharing that thread with me Merc. There's some nice looking rifles on that thread. I saw a lot of customized rifles on that thread. Did they start from scratch or did they just upgrade from their factory rifles?

Merc1138
06-03-2012, 7:40 PM
Thanks for sharing that thread with me Merc. There's some nice looking rifles on that thread. I saw a lot of customized rifles on that thread. Did they start from scratch or did they just upgrade from their factory rifles?

Depends. Most of 'em are factory rifles, or factory with some upgrades. There are a few custom builds though. If you start at the last page and read backwards you'll start running into people asking what's in someone else's build with that person answering(as opposed to starting at the beginning, where everyone was just posting pictures). Just remember performance > looks.

my_name_is_john
06-03-2012, 8:30 PM
Depends. Most of 'em are factory rifles, or factory with some upgrades. There are a few custom builds though. If you start at the last page and read backwards you'll start running into people asking what's in someone else's build with that person answering(as opposed to starting at the beginning, where everyone was just posting pictures). Just remember performance > looks.

Performance>Looks

Definitely. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I am still gonna start off with a factory rifle from Savage. Not sure which model yet. I am just searching for knowledge for right now, so when I do decide to customize a rifle.

Fractured
06-03-2012, 10:06 PM
What is your price range?

my_name_is_john
06-03-2012, 10:52 PM
What is your price range?

Im not looking to spend over $3K on my first bolt action rifle and scope which would probably be a Savage, don't know which model yet. But my next project rifle, which I would like to be customized, I am willing to spend a lot more. Of course not at one time. It would be a building project overtime.

Short Action Precision
06-03-2012, 10:56 PM
3k is a pretty good set up! You can get a Remington 5r and a NF with rings and base for that price. A lot of room at that price range.

my_name_is_john
06-03-2012, 11:16 PM
3k is a pretty good set up! You can get a Remington 5r and a NF with rings and base for that price. A lot of room at that price range.

Sorry, I don't know what is a NF. I was looking around and saw that people were not impressed with the Remington 5R. Other people said that would have saved that extra $500 and just get the Remington 700 SPS Tactical. I would save that extra money for my project rifle. As mentioned above this will be my first bolt action rifle. My next rifle will be a project rifle where I would take my time putting it together with customized/upgraded parts. Thanks, I look more into the Remington 5R and see what others have to say about it.

ExtremeX
06-03-2012, 11:39 PM
NF = Nightforce... its a brand that makes optics/scopes.

angrypeccary
06-04-2012, 1:01 AM
you dont need an expensive glass like a nightforce to shoot 1000 yards. you can get a lower end swfa ss scope for around 300. learn how to use the scope first and upgrade from there. also it would help if you used quality ammo too sierra match kings etc.

my_name_is_john
06-04-2012, 9:20 PM
you dont need an expensive glass like a nightforce to shoot 1000 yards. you can get a lower end swfa ss scope for around 300. learn how to use the scope first and upgrade from there. also it would help if you used quality ammo too sierra match kings etc.

I was more interested in getting one of the Trijicon sights. I did a little research and those were my favorite. I plan on doing more research on sights, but my main focus is choosing my first bolt action rifle. I need to choose one in the next couple of days, so I could pick it up on my birthday.

my_name_is_john
06-08-2012, 10:58 AM
attached is a pic of my Savage FCP-K. its not a 1000yd rifle. but for target shooting at angeles, it works for me.

this may be my next savage in a 300win
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

also go to the savage website and look at their target rifles

Why is this not a 1000 yard rifle? What caliber is it?

ExtremeX
06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Why is this not a 1000 yard rifle? What caliber is it?

His rifle is a .308 if I remember correctly.

It has really nothing to do with the rifle. It has everything to do with the loading, cartridge, and projectile.

Some people like shooting .308 out to 1k, some don't. Go look at a ballistic drop chart for various loadings and it should give you a better idea of what to expect in terms of drop, drift, energy on target, and velocity.

StraightShooter
06-08-2012, 11:45 AM
I was more interested in getting one of the Trijicon sights. I did a little research and those were my favorite. I plan on doing more research on sights, but my main focus is choosing my first bolt action rifle. I need to choose one in the next couple of days, so I could pick it up on my birthday.

What kind of trijicon sight are you looking into? Not sure they have a good long range scope offering. I personally wouldn't put anything less than a nightforce on a long range rifle. Well maybe a PST but that's it. Handle a Nightforce and you'll understand why.

ExtremeX
06-08-2012, 12:05 PM
The only scopes I like from Trijicon for a long range precision rifle is their TR23-2 and the TARS series which cost a fortune.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product3.php?pid=TR23-2

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=TARS&mid=3-15x50

At those price ranges you have a lot of other options. Everything else in their Accupoint line is really more of a hunting scope.

FMJBT
06-08-2012, 12:56 PM
The Savage 10FP line is a good place to start for getting into a budget rifle that will get out to 1000 yards accurately. I'm still not a huge fan of the Savage action or extractor, but their barrels shoot as well as most custom $$$ barrels do for a fraction of the price. Here's my 10FP McMillan which is my go-to rifle for long range shooting:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6151/6174340108_2f6e2e374b_b.jpg

The key to getting a 308 out to 1000 yards effectively is bullet selection, and having a scope capable of dialing the 400ish moa required for bullet drop compensation at that range. Heavier bullets with high ballistic coefficients (BC's) will be mandatory for shooting the 308 past about 700 yards. My standard load for 308's is 190 grain Sierra Match Kings loaded into military brass with either 40 grains of Ramshot TAC or 43 grains of Hodgdon CFE-223. They get out to 1000 yards and still have plenty of ooomph left to smack steel.

Look for a scope with at least 80 moa of internal adjustment. If you use a slanted base with a built in 20 moa of incline, you can get away with a scope having only about 50-60 moa of internal adjustment. The scope on my rifle above is an FM Optics 4-14X44 FFP Mil Dot that cost a wallet shattering $149.00. It has 80 moa of internal adjustment, and I'm also using a 20 moa base so it will comfortably dial out to 1000 yards with room to spare. I've had extremely good luck with cheap scopes, many others have not. At a price point this low, you are definitely taking chances and the scope will likely crap out well before a more expensive one would. Having said that, this one has been on the rifle for about 3 years now and has had many trips to the desert without issue. Definitely go for the best glass you can afford if possible, but there are ways of doing it as a cheap bastard as well.