PDA

View Full Version : DSA FAL STG58 & SA58

shoebox56
06-02-2012, 8:30 PM
Anyone buy a DSA FAL STG58 or SA58 within the last 6 months? If so, how's it holding up?

Been Googling and not seeing anything recent about this rifle. Curious about any current quality control issues, if any.

I am interested in the 21" barrel. I want the STG58, but may settle on the SA58 if I can't get the STG58.

Thanks.

hammerhands32
06-02-2012, 8:33 PM
Within the last 6 months? No, but the only problem my SA58 has had is the rate it eats up ammo. Dsa has always had a good reputation and I have not heard about that changing.

shoebox56
06-02-2012, 8:47 PM
Within the last 6 months? No, but the only problem my SA58 has had is the rate it eats up ammo. Dsa has always had a good reputation and I have not heard about that changing.

What's your preferred ammo?

I'd like to use my WOLF supply but been seeing mixed opinions on this brand for this rifle.

1911su16b870
06-02-2012, 9:55 PM
I've been building FAL type rifles for the past few months now 2 on Enterprise Receivers and 1 on an Imbel...it is a neat platform and a little more tricky to put together and get running than the AR.

Munny$hot
06-03-2012, 1:45 PM
Not hard to assemble if you have a receiver block, a long wrench that fits the barrel, a go/no go gage and some circular sanding discs for timing the barrel. The circular disc fit over the chamber end of the barrel. You can loosely fit the barrel to uppr reciever together while turning the disc in circles to get the barrel to time. Just be sure to sand the barrel end. DSA has different size locking shoulders and everything else you'll need. DSA is an excellent company and has/makes quality products...

jimx
06-03-2012, 2:13 PM
Afaik DSA is the gold standard for FAL's. Unless something drastic has happened to them recently they would be my first pick.

shoebox56
06-03-2012, 5:56 PM
Afaik DSA is the gold standard for FAL's. Unless something drastic has happened to them recently they would be my first pick.

Appreciate the feedback from all. I was reading about SA58 bolt issues in 2009, but that's fairly far back. Haven't heard much recently, of anything, so I guess that's a good sign?

Richard Erichsen
06-03-2012, 8:57 PM
Appreciate the feedback from all. I was reading about SA58 bolt issues in 2009, but that's fairly far back. Haven't heard much recently, of anything, so I guess that's a good sign?

You can get surplus parts in good/used condition that will solve any potential problem. I bought an original FN bolt head that was in great shape, disassembled it, cleaned it and replaced the extractor spring (it was still strong, but I always replace springs as a matter of principle). $55-$65 is the going rate.

R

Sicarius
06-03-2012, 9:46 PM
DSA is your best option as far as buying new BUT they are far from a great FAL. Their quality has been falling quite a bit and as their government contracts keep them busy, their civilian products and customer service has been falling off. Your best bet is to buy a kit and build it. Their receivers are great and so are Imbels. Their build quality is meh... some have said to have the barrel hand time to 12 o'clock with locktite on the threads... Granted this is rare but this raises flags for me. Their barrels are not the greatest. You are much better off with a STG surplus barrel that has a chromed chamber. Their hammer, sear, trigger parts aren't all that great but if you are looking for US made parts, Falcon is the only other game in town. I would suggest a STG(steyr) HST and they are cheap(can be found on gunbroker for less than 20 bucks with a stg gas piston). The quality of the metal is better. Their other parts I would say are pretty good though. So in short, customer service, barrel quality and build quality(sometimes questionable) are poor. Upper and lower receivers, furniture, Internals other than the HST are great... If they have it in stock. I have been waiting for a bolt for the last 2 months... I would suggest buying a STG kit and building your own. It will only be a tad cheaper than buying a DSA new but you will have a higher quality rifle in the end.
Kevin

shoebox56
06-04-2012, 6:35 AM
You can get surplus parts in good/used condition that will solve any potential problem. I bought an original FN bolt head that was in great shape, disassembled it, cleaned it and replaced the extractor spring (it was still strong, but I always replace springs as a matter of principle). $55-$65 is the going rate.

R

Thanks, that's good to know.

shoebox56
06-04-2012, 6:37 AM
I would suggest buying a STG kit and building your own. It will only be a tad cheaper than buying a DSA new but you will have a higher quality rifle in the end.
Kevin

In terms of difficulty and skill level, how does putting together a STG kit compare to both building up an AR and an AK (w/out bending a new receiver)?

Richard Erichsen
06-04-2012, 7:33 AM
Your best bet is to buy a kit and build it. Or have it built by one of the pros. This far West, that's probably the "Gunplumber" T. Mark Graham of ARS. Other options exist of course.

<sic DSA> Their barrels are not the greatest. You are much better off with a STG surplus barrel that has a chromed chamber.

The OEM for DSA is Badger. Badger are a decent barrel manufacturer, but nothing special. Match grade product is not their focus. The Steyr StG58 barrels are great for the standard (fairly light) profile and can be had for $175 including the gas block and gas tube on Apex. Both chrome-lined and non-chrome lined are available. I prefer the non-chrome lined barrel option whenever available and have the barrel salt-bath nitrocarburized, given the benefits of chrome lining without the inconsistencies in barrel bore diameter plating invariably introduces.

Their hammer, sear, trigger parts aren't all that great but if you are looking for US made parts, Falcon is the only other game in town.

Not quite. Jard (US made, 3x 922r compliance parts) makes a very nice adjustable trigger pack that can be adjusted down to just under 3 lbs. of pull and has set screws to eliminate pre travel and overtravel (the set screws forming stops). It is not identical to the FAL trigger pack, more like an adaptation of the AR15 match trigger packs with a FAL specific hammer. The parts are all milled from bar stock, heat treated and black oxided.

R

Richard Erichsen
06-04-2012, 7:38 AM
In terms of difficulty and skill level, how does putting together a STG kit compare to both building up an AR and an AK (w/out bending a new receiver)?

Scale from 1-10? AR15 is probably a 1 on that scale, FAL is about a 4 or 5. Timing the barrel and establishing the correct locking shoulder for proper headspace is where the difficulty comes in. You'll need a few special tools, some of which can be rented if you want to do this yourself and follow an assembly guide. Pin gauges are useful to determine the correct locking shoulder, a barrel vice and a receiver wrench. Having someone watching over your shoulder that has done it before would also be useful. Hanko and TheDrickle are two good resources here.

R

Sicarius
06-04-2012, 8:56 AM
Thank you Richard. I wasn't aware that Jard make a trigger pack. Good to know.
As far as difficulty, If you have the proper tools, I would put it at a 4 at most. It is definately a fun build and not frustrating at all. I suggest joining falfiles. There is a wealth of knowledge there and a lot of very helpful people. Their market place can be invaluable.
Kevin

shoebox56
06-04-2012, 9:16 AM
Thank you Richard. I wasn't aware that Jard make a trigger pack. Good to know.
As far as difficulty, If you have the proper tools, I would put it at a 4 at most. It is definately a fun build and not frustrating at all. I suggest joining falfiles. There is a wealth of knowledge there and a lot of very helpful people. Their market place can be invaluable.
Kevin

Thanks all. I have been reading around FNFILES to get information about the DSA. I never factored in about really trying to do one myself, till you all brought it up. My skill level is still at beginner. Actually just started to learn how to do an AR lower.

Sicarius
06-04-2012, 11:34 AM
AR lower is the skill level of a lego set. The fal is really not hard as far as the building part. The barrel is the hardest part only because it takes a bit of finess and torque to line everything up right. If the barrel is overtorqued or undertorqued, your POI will be off. The next hardest thing is headspacing the rifle which is really not bad at all. It is really just trial and error with a go and no-go gauge. You simply swap out pins that go into the locking sholder hole in the receiver and use a very specific and scientific measurement of two thumbs strength to see where the bolt locks. Everything else is screwed or pinned together. Gunplumber has a great DVD that explains everthing on how to build one and then some. If you are on a budget, this may be the best way too. ~200 in tools, not sure if DSA still gives falfiles discounts but the receivers were about ~400 the last time I bought one, ~650 for a STG kit and ~150 for compliance parts. Definately not a cheap build but you buy the parts over time and have the satisfaction of building what is probably better than an off the off the shelf offering.
Kevin

shoebox56
06-04-2012, 6:22 PM
Definately not a cheap build but you buy the parts over time and have the satisfaction of building what is probably better than an off the off the shelf offering.
Kevin

I actually like that idea. I can't take on another project right now, but at least I can start hoarding parts till I am ready. I guess I have a lot of studying to do at FALFILES site. Thanks!

shoebox56
06-04-2012, 6:26 PM
Scale from 1-10? AR15 is probably a 1 on that scale, FAL is about a 4 or 5. Timing the barrel and establishing the correct locking shoulder for proper headspace is where the difficulty comes in. You'll need a few special tools, some of which can be rented if you want to do this yourself and follow an assembly guide. Pin gauges are useful to determine the correct locking shoulder, a barrel vice and a receiver wrench. Having someone watching over your shoulder that has done it before would also be useful. Hanko and TheDrickle are two good resources here.

R

Thanks for the great info.

-hanko
06-05-2012, 7:13 AM
...I'd acquire the parts and ship them to Mark Graham in an instant.;)

Or I might also consider buying a used one on the FAL Files.

Richard, thanks for the comment.

-hanko