PDA

View Full Version : Forends/Grips on Pump Actions

SGTTOM
06-02-2012, 7:12 PM
Okay, I am picking up an 870 and plan to use it as a patrol weapon. I am torn between cool, practical, and tactical. I wanted to see what others think on the subject of aftermarket forends and grips. Thanks.

Option 1:
Railed forend w/ magpul AFG2, gas pedal(left side of forend), and a mounted light on the other side.

Pros: Looks freaking cool, great control of the shotgun.
Cons: The use of a pressure switch becomes difficult, plus you may be limited to the use of a switch which may not be easy for constant on/off. Makes the light more difficult to reach without moving your hand from it's firing position.

Option 2:
Railed forend with "broomstick", and a light mounted on the left side for easy thumb access.

Pros: Allows for much easier use of the light, and as long as you can find a light with a tail cap that allows for temp on, and constant on, this would be nice. Also, still allows for decent control of the shotgun.

Cons: Have to find a perfect light, and not everyone likes broomsticks, not sure how it would feel on a pump action stot gun.

Option 3:
Surefire forend with LED light.

Pros: Very easy use of the muti-function light, easy access to built in pressure switch as well as easy access to constant on and off switch. This would allow you to really use the light to its full tactical capability, because situation dictates and this light is versatile in ease of use.

Cons: May or may not lose some of the better control of the weapon, really personal preference I would imagine.

I am leaning toward option three. Thanks for all input!

prc77
06-02-2012, 7:35 PM
Door #3 for the win

negolien
06-03-2012, 3:43 AM
Well your defining it as a "patrol weapon" but most agencies issue they're firearms so I' am a little confused.

As for forends just get a hogue and a cheap UTG http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&pwst=1&q=UTG+Weapon+Light&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=650&wrapid=tlif133872373154510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18229164932275887778&sa=X&ei=nk3LT773Cc6u2AWi7dXaCw&ved=0CKEBEPMCMAI Any kind of VFG will torque your bars and = not good. Don't overthink a good thing. I never seen standard issue 870s with a bunch of crap on em.

rromeo
06-03-2012, 4:11 AM
Well your defining it as a "patrol weapon" but most agencies issue they're firearms so I' am a little confused.

As for forends just get a hogue and a cheap UTG http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&safe=off&pwst=1&q=UTG+Weapon+Light&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=650&wrapid=tlif133872373154510&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18229164932275887778&sa=X&ei=nk3LT773Cc6u2AWi7dXaCw&ved=0CKEBEPMCMAI Any kind of VFG will torque your bars and = not good. Don't overthink a good thing. I never seen standard issue 870s with a bunch of crap on em.

Most do, but some require the officers to purchase their own. That's why the law allows an exemption to the roster for LEOs and police chiefs to sign letters for personally owned patrol rifles and skip the 10 day wait.

operator13
06-03-2012, 4:26 AM
Door #3! plus i have one for sale! :)

BigDogatPlay
06-03-2012, 6:36 AM
Option 3 FTW. There is no less control with the Surefire unit than with most any other fore end you can name. I run one on my 870 and wouldn't trade it.

Option 2 = bad juju. VFG on pump action shotguns can lead to issues with torquing the action bar(s), eventually leaving you with a gun that doesn't work.

SGTTOM
06-03-2012, 5:07 PM
Good stuff, I am going with number three. Just like to see what people have to say about the different options. As far as calling it a patrol weapon, that is because RSO allows deputies to purchase and use their own 870's. Of course it will be a while before I am allowed to do so but I already have the shot gun so I figured why not work on making it the best I can. Thanks for the feedback, I hope the discussion continues for the sake of discussion.

aippi
06-03-2012, 8:03 PM
If officers could not purchase their own weapons I would have to get a real job and not have all this fun.

SGTTOM
06-03-2012, 8:09 PM
Too bad I couldn't purchase my own weapons in the Marines! ha ha

aippi
06-04-2012, 5:11 AM
Jarheads did not have to purchase them, we could Comshaw (steal) them from the Army.

SGTTOM
06-04-2012, 5:49 PM
Benelli's were awesome though. My favorite shotgun, just expensive and the SO only allows 870's I guess.