PDA

View Full Version : Any recommendations for a bipod?

ufc525
06-02-2012, 7:54 PM
Any recommendations for a bipod for my AR-15? Thanks!

FMJBT
06-03-2012, 4:30 PM
What kind of configuration are you set up for on your AR-15. Heavy barrel, shorty, fixed stock, 6 position stock, etc? What kind of budget do you want to stay in?

In general, most people like the Harris bipods, especially the versions with the tilt feature which lets you make fine adjustments to level your rifle on uneven terrain. A cheaper alternative is the Caldwell XLA Tilt which is very similar to the Harris in design and features. For a lighter weight AR-15, I like using the lightweight polymer bipod from Brugger & Thommett. It's quick detach, and weighs only 4 ounces and is still solid enough to fire heavy recoiling rifles like a 300 Win Mag off of.

Rob42o
06-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I've recently bought 3 utg tactical ops tl-bp88 bipods. They seem to be constructed very well. They come with rail mount or swivel stud mount features. Adjustable height 8.3"-12.7". Rubber stand(feet). Posi-lock wheel and quick retraction button. Slight panning ability. All for about $23. Ill be taking them to the range to test this weekend on a .308, .30-06 and .22 bolt actions. I ordered from cheaper than dirt.

sd_shooter
06-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I've recently bought 3 utg tactical ops tl-bp88 bipods. They seem to be constructed very well. They come with rail mount or swivel stud mount features. Adjustable height 8.3"-12.7". Rubber stand(feet). Posi-lock wheel and quick retraction button. Slight panning ability. All for about $23. Ill be taking them to the range to test this weekend on a .308, .30-06 and .22 bolt actions. I ordered from cheaper than dirt.

Had such a UTG, the mounting bolt/nut broke after 2 outings. (Gets loose first, try to tighten, the the nut pops out.)

Now have a Harris BRMS, it's good gear! :D

ExtremeX
06-04-2012, 12:54 AM
Since you didn't specify a price range I'll throw out something at the high end of the spectrum...

I went with the Atlas with a Larue QD mount. I also own a Harris and UTG bipod.

The Atlas was pricy but it's my favorite bipod.

m98
06-04-2012, 6:17 AM
The caldwell xls? bipod is also a great sturdy cheaper bipod to look at as well. I have one and its been solid so far. Otherwise spend double for a harris.

Rob42o
06-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Had such a UTG, the mounting bolt/nut broke after 2 outings. (Gets loose first, try to tighten, the the nut pops out.)

Now have a Harris BRMS, it's good gear! :D

That's that Loc-Tite is for. I believe it even mentioned it in the installation guide. Or maybe I read it somewhere.

ufc525
06-04-2012, 10:30 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info. guyz!

sd_shooter
06-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Loc tite wouldn't fix my utg, many others on Amazon had the same problem. YMMV however...

PrimaryArms
06-05-2012, 7:30 AM
Check it out I am sure you ll find what you want.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Bipods_s/71.htm

Dimitri

HK Dave
06-05-2012, 7:32 AM
My favorite is GG&G XDS Bipods... and the good old Harris.

http://www.gggaz.com/standard-xds-swivel-bipod.html

The War Wagon
06-05-2012, 7:51 AM
Is the bbl 18" or longer? Are you setting it up as a precision/SPR rifle? If NOT, why do you need a bipod?

bohoki
06-05-2012, 8:44 AM
what are your assets currently do you have a rail system or standard fore end

sd_shooter
06-05-2012, 9:55 AM
Is the bbl 18" or longer? Are you setting it up as a precision/SPR rifle? If NOT, why do you need a bipod?

Why do you 'need' a remote for your TV?

Rob42o
06-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Loc tite wouldn't fix my utg, many others on Amazon had the same problem. YMMV however...

Oh that sucks, Sorry to hear that. Well Ill see how mine hold up. So far so good.

Rob42o
06-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Why do you 'need' a remote for your TV?

+1 :D

sd_shooter
06-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Oh that sucks, Sorry to hear that. Well Ill see how mine hold up. So far so good.

I think the mounts are different among the various UTG bipods. I have another on my 22 that is rock solid. It lacks any 'swivel' and 'pan' movement, it's just a solid picatinny mount. However the one that broke had a 'pan' feature that was implemented as a rubber washer within the mount.

Rob42o
06-05-2012, 12:14 PM
I think the mounts are different among the various UTG bipods. I have another on my 22 that is rock solid. It lacks any 'swivel' and 'pan' movement, it's just a solid picatinny mount. However the one that broke had a 'pan' feature that was implemented as a rubber washer within the mount.

I have heard we can bi-pass that by tightening the allen head on the bottom, I have yet to try. I saw it on a review for the bipods on youtube.

NissanPreRunner
06-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Grip-pod?

shadowofnight
06-05-2012, 12:44 PM
Since you didn't specify a price range I'll throw out something at the high end of the spectrum...

I went with the Atlas with a Larue QD mount. I also own a Harris and UTG bipod.

The Atlas was pricy but it's my favorite bipod.

Agree, I just picked up the Atlas V8 with the American Defense quick release mount...the thing is awesome.

PrimaryArms
06-05-2012, 6:35 PM
I personally like these. The swivel feature allows you to level.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Harris_Bipod_913_Inch_Standard_Legs_Swivel_p/hbsl.htm

LBDamned
06-07-2012, 7:07 PM
Agree, I just picked up the Atlas V8 with the American Defense quick release mount...the thing is awesome.

+3... Atlas V8 here, great bipod.

PrimaryArms
06-07-2012, 11:05 PM
+3... Atlas V8 here, great bipod.

Does that level?
If your going to be shooting past 600 on uneven ground being level is a must. I would also recommend an anti canting device.

Dimitri

ExtremeX
06-08-2012, 1:45 AM
Does that level?
If your going to be shooting past 600 on uneven ground being level is a must. I would also recommend an anti canting device.

Dimitri

It does level... its a very full featured bipod. The best ive used to date.

4.75 9.0" Height Range. Optional Extentions if needed
All 4 leg positions are solid allowing the shooter to load the bipod at the 45 and 90 degree positions.
15 degrees +/- of preloaded Pan
15 degrees +/- of preloaded Cant
Front to back tilt depending on how you load the bipod.
Tention knob

Here is a review, lots of pictures on the bottom of the page.
http://www.8541tactical.com/atlas_review.php

PrimaryArms
06-08-2012, 7:04 AM
It does level... its a very full featured bipod. The best ive used to date.

4.75 9.0" Height Range. Optional Extentions if needed
All 4 leg positions are solid allowing the shooter to load the bipod at the 45 and 90 degree positions.
15 degrees +/- of preloaded Pan
15 degrees +/- of preloaded Cant
Front to back tilt depending on how you load the bipod.
Tention knob

Here is a review, lots of pictures on the bottom of the page.
http://www.8541tactical.com/atlas_review.php

Everything looks great but the price!
I do like the fact that you can angle the legs.

Dimitri

ExtremeX
06-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Everything looks great but the price!
I do like the fact that you can angle the legs.

Dimitri

I didn't realize how useful being able to angle the legs at a 45 was and how much I started using it after getting it.

Ill agree with you, looks great but the price comes with sticker shock. I didnt want to spend that type of money on a bipod but after seeing one in person... I just had to get it, its my buy once cry once bipod purchase.

Atlas BT10-NC + Larue Mount.. works out about $20 more than the ADM mount.
Accushot Monopod BT12-QK

It gives my target rifle some amazing flexibility when shooting...

HK Dave
06-08-2012, 12:31 PM
No reason to skimp on a bipod... the rifle is only going to be as precise as its weakest link... the bipod and its ability to keep you stable and level is an absolute must.

Do what ExtremeX did... don't skimp, get the best you can afford.

Bipod should not be an after thought and should not be chi com crap.... well unless you're into that sort of thing. ;)

ExtremeX
06-08-2012, 12:54 PM
No reason to skimp on a bipod... the rifle is only going to be as precise as its weakest link... the bipod and its ability to keep you stable and level is an absolute must.

Do what ExtremeX did... don't skimp, get the best you can afford.

Bipod should not be an after thought and should not be chi com crap.... well unless you're into that sort of thing. ;)

Well... I started with a $25 UTG bipod, and used it for about 1 year... It served me well and did its job for what it was but I constantly found limitations when using it, this upgrade was right on the other side of the spectrum...

Owning the UTG really allowed me to appreciate what went into making the Atlas. Im sure if I started with the Atlas, my appreciation would not have been as great. Its a well crafted American made product.

I don't have regrets owning the UTG, because it made the upgrade that much sweeter and in that time frame I was really able to figure out what type of features I was missing out on and important to me.

cavemanlrrp
06-08-2012, 1:54 PM
My favorite is GG&G XDS Bipods... and the good old Harris.

http://www.gggaz.com/standard-xds-swivel-bipod.html

+1
If you have rail at 6 o'clock, the GG&G is handy to mount and quiet to deploy.

Best
caveman