PDA

View Full Version : gonna pick up my .223 saiga from jail!

ainako
06-02-2012, 3:44 PM
Really excited! Not picking up till wednesday but I left my DROS open for another rifle. I was thinking of picking up either a 16" 7.62 or a 21" .308 saiga. As they have them in stock for now at riflegear (GREAT shop BTW). I'm leaning towards the .308 but am wondering if the extra $200 for it is worth it. I am also getting a trijicon acog for $800 and was wondering what kind of mount works best for it. I was thinking the side mount so it can easily be taken off for field strips and to switch on from rifle to rifle.

bballwizard05
06-02-2012, 3:57 PM
I say get the side mount. When I had a Saiga, I bought a dust cover that had a rail on it. While it say up high, allowing me to use iron sights still (sorta), I wish I had dropped the money for the snap on side mount.

And as for your thought on the .308. I went through the same thing. I accepted the AK for what it is, a really fun non precision rifle. 308 in my opinion is really for accurate distance shooting (distance being relative, lets just say anything after 200 yards). The AK in 7.62x39 will be a BLAST to shoot, and will be much cheaper than shooting a 308. I probably wouldn't own two Saiga's anyways (unless 1 rifle, 1 shotgun), but if you want two, then I'd go for the original AK round, and save some $$$

morthrane
06-02-2012, 4:41 PM
Texas Weapons System dustcover rail. And even though I have a bunch of 308 saigas, I'd vote for the 7.62. The cheap ammo and ubiquitous magazine choices make it the most cost effective saiga once converted and 922r'd to accept AK parts.

Regarding the mount and ACOG: most sidemounts put the optic sky high, makes getting a good weld to the stock difficult. Plus, the ACOGs have a very short eye relief, which makes them difficult to setup usefully on the typical saiga/AK.

The Right to Bear Arms
06-02-2012, 4:59 PM
I bet I know where you got your rifle. haha. No worries, man. I'm in the same boat. I'm actually waiting for them to come through on their word and bring the 16" .308 Saiga in so I can compare it head to head with the 21" .308. Long trigger pull on the 21", I've found.

RBA

ainako
06-02-2012, 5:07 PM
I was wondering about the side mount height, dustcover rail seems to fit the bill nicely. Really excited about the ACOG as well, scored a deal because my cousin went on a spending spree and his wife is making him sell some of his stuff off :hurray: Too bad CSS doesn't have them in stock, I wanted to pick up some extra mags and wanted to order everything from one place. Seems like I will be picking up the 7.62 but probably will still get the 308 later. I am a big fan of the ak platform, fits the way I used to like my women, goes bang when I want/need it too. Now I really need to relax, I'm gonna spend 2 months worth of retail therapy this month.

ICONIC
06-02-2012, 5:14 PM
I got my saiga in .223, i kept it featureless so I didn't have to put the bullet button. They make an adapter that allows you to use Ar-15 mags.
www.magnoliastatearmory.com (I believe it adds 3 922r parts, due to magazine, follower, and spring.)

I went with the Galil handguard and made the modifications so it accepts galil mags.

saigas are great because you can customize them and don't be afraid to hit them with a hammer if it is stubborn, they can take the abuse.

ainako
06-02-2012, 9:06 PM
I got my saiga in .223, i kept it featureless so I didn't have to put the bullet button. They make an adapter that allows you to use Ar-15 mags.
www.magnoliastatearmory.com (I believe it adds 3 922r parts, due to magazine, follower, and spring.)

I went with the Galil handguard and made the modifications so it accepts galil mags.

saigas are great because you can customize them and don't be afraid to hit them with a hammer if it is stubborn, they can take the abuse.

The MSA adapter was my original plan, but I really don't trust myself with a grinder. I learned that magazine options for us is thin. But with these rifles selling like crazy that will hopefully change

ainako
06-02-2012, 9:15 PM
I bet I know where you got your rifle. haha. No worries, man. I'm in the same boat. I'm actually waiting for them to come through on their word and bring the 16" .308 Saiga in so I can compare it head to head with the 21" .308. Long trigger pull on the 21", I've found.

RBA

Yea I really like riflegear, Brian was great. I just wish I was closer, Im in the Baldwin park/ west Covina area