PDA

View Full Version : Taurus & Rossi owners (past and current) chime in.

bballwizard05
06-02-2012, 3:16 PM
I'm getting some grad money here in a couple weeks, and I will be looking to get a wheelgun to replace my 9mm that I sold a few months ago. I will not have enough money for a S&W,Colt,DW, or even a new Ruger (used, maybe but they don't sell to often on here, go figure).

I've read this phrase multiple times "Save another 100 or so and get a S&W, you won't regret it". This is out of the question at least for now. I have a finite budget to spend on this revolver, and thats it for awhile.

I'm eyeballing the Taurus 65 in 357. I have also considered a Rossi (to save a bit of my grad money to spend on ammo). I've heard a lot of bad things, and quite a bit of praise. Im mostly interested in hearing about relatively new Taurus's (maybe there quality has fluctuated up or down), and Rossi's.

So what is your synopsis on these good looking, budget friendly revolver?

Oneaudiopro
06-02-2012, 3:34 PM
I personally wouldn't own either one. I'de wait for a used Ruger.

paul0660
06-02-2012, 3:35 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=574472&highlight=taurus

I like them. But then, I have actually owned a few.

bballwizard05
06-02-2012, 3:38 PM
I personally wouldn't own either one. I'de wait for a used Ruger.

so what your saying is; you came into a thread asking for taurus and rossi owners (past or present) and you stated you wouldn't own either one. Are you saying you have never owned one?

bballwizard05
06-02-2012, 3:38 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=574472&highlight=taurus

I like them. But then, I have actually owned a few.

Thanks for the post....(how did I miss that?) when I searched.... haha.

paul0660
06-02-2012, 3:43 PM
so what your saying is; you came into a thread asking for taurus and rossi owners (past or present) and you stated you wouldn't own either one. Are you saying you have never owned one?

That, and he will never like you if you buy one.

bballwizard05
06-02-2012, 3:45 PM
That, and he will never like you if you buy one.

lol, well you can't win'em all.

That thread that was linked was pretty encouraging. I'm thinking a Taurus 65 is in my future.

loosewreck
06-02-2012, 4:08 PM
IMO, you should explore the Private Sales here in the Marketplace and get a used Ruger GP100 or even a Speed or Security Six.

I bought a nice lightly used Rossi 62 Pump 22 Gallery Gun from another calgunner, for what seemed like an amazing deal. Upon inspection I found it had some issues, like a slightly canted front sight and some discolored blueing, but I learned to live with it for the price. Then after about 1k rounds it broke, after some research I located one place that fixed and sold parts for older Rossis, it turned out it would cost me nearly the price of the rifle to order the parts and more than what the rifle cost to have them fix it.

After that experience I decided I'm not taking a risk on Rossis/Taurus anymore. I guess it might be okay if the gun is still under warranty and in production, but you might be SOL when its not, like with my 62 pump. With the bigger companies and their more popular firearms you'll have better product support. Just my opinion, YMMV.

morrcarr67
06-02-2012, 4:46 PM
Years ago I had a Rossi 88 2" that ran just fine. Never had one problem with it.

railroader
06-02-2012, 4:53 PM
I had a couple of rossi revolvers that were imported by interarms. One was a 4" 357 and the other was a 2" 38special. Both ran good and were accurate. I kinda wish I still had them especially the 357.

Oneaudiopro
06-02-2012, 5:59 PM

Yes...............in the past.