PDA

View Full Version : Brief comparison: Versa Max Tactical, Benelli M4, and 930 SPX

lwlaml
06-02-2012, 2:22 PM
I'm in the market for a shotgun for 3-gun. I have narrowed it down to these three so I went to Raahauges yesterday and shot them back to back.

I shot 15 rounds out of each one. They were all similar ammo: 2 3/4 shells, 1 1/8 oz loads. Just thought I'd share a few observations.

- all three guns cycled every round. I didn't shoot very many rounds, but there were no issues at all. Every shell ejected and loaded just fine.

- the Remington Versa Max was noticeably the softest shooting of the bunch. The Mossberg 930 SPX had the most recoil and the M4 landed in the middle with slightly less than the Mossberg.

- the Remington was heaviest and also had the longest barrel by nearly 4 inches. I didn't notice any reduction in maneuverability but I think I'd have to spend more time with each to assess that.

- the bolt handle and the bolt release button on the Versa Max are HUGE. They're perfect as is and I wouldn't plan to change either one.

- both Mossberg and Remington come with fiber optic front sights. A nice touch.

The price of the 930 SPX really requires a shopper to at least consider it. I think it functioned fine but definitely had the most felt recoil. The Remington shot the best for me, has all of the features I want, and a show price of $1150 is reasonable. I don't see the incremental value of the M4 for another $500 but am interested to hear opinions on this.

Bottom line, I think the Remington is the one for me.

Lester

SuperSet
06-02-2012, 2:30 PM
You should consider the VersaMax Tactical, that already comes with the shorter 22" barrel. IME, it has been an excellent flat-shooting and reliable shotgun. I did a test one day with those super light Winchester loads. My FN SLP couldn't cycle it. My buddy's Salient M2 couldn't cycle it. The VersaMax did.
Note that to truly test a 3-gun shotgun, you'll want to shoot slugs out of it and check accuracy at 50-100yds. I had to bend my Versamax barrel since it was shooting right. My buddy's VersaMax also shoots right. My FN shot straight out of the box. Taran had to bend my buddie's Benelli M2 as well so it affects multiple brands.

lwlaml
06-02-2012, 2:59 PM
Thanks! Shotguns are new to me so I appreciate the advice on checking with slugs.

SuperSet
06-02-2012, 4:02 PM
BTW - there is a new 930 specifically for 3-gun, the Mossberg 930 JM Pro. I haven't spent anytime with this one yet but did have the 930 Turkey gun so they should be similar. It did not shoot slugs well so I hope the 930 JM Pros are working out for everyone. You can't beat an out-of-the-box ready for 3-gun shotgun for less than $700.

Paradiddle
06-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Is the versa max a gas gun like the 1100? If so you should make sure they run under 3 gun conditions. Maybe do a search on Brian Enos.

I like my 930 - it works all the time. I had a long barrel/vent rib turned into the same thing as the JM is (this was done pre-JM model) - Dave at DMW did the work.

I started with a Remington 1100 and just couldn't get it to run reliably all the time.

TZL
06-03-2012, 6:37 PM
I don't think I have seen alot of m4s in 3gun, bbl too short and capacity

Most benelli guns run m2s or m1s.....

Check out the jm pro series 24" from mossberg

barca101
06-03-2012, 9:42 PM
I've been looking also for a semi auto shotgun and I think the Mossberg 930 SPX w/o the pistol grip has an excellent price to consider. It has LPA sights and extended magazine just like the Benelli. The only review complaint that I read about is the slight front sight cant that I'm sure can easily be fixed.

SuperSet
06-03-2012, 9:49 PM
Is the versa max a gas gun like the 1100? If so you should make sure they run under 3 gun conditions. Maybe do a search on Brian Enos.

I like my 930 - it works all the time. I had a long barrel/vent rib turned into the same thing as the JM is (this was done pre-JM model) - Dave at DMW did the work.

I started with a Remington 1100 and just couldn't get it to run reliably all the time.

The VersaMax has a unique gas-operated system that vents gas to propel the pistons. The amount of gas varies by the length of shell, hence the 'Versa' in the title. It is a much better shotgun than the 1100.

Mesa Tactical
06-04-2012, 9:35 AM
- the Remington Versa Max was noticeably the softest shooting of the bunch. The Mossberg 930 SPX had the most recoil and the M4 landed in the middle with slightly less than the Mossberg.

- the Remington was heaviest and also had the longest barrel by nearly 4 inches.

These two items are related. The Versamax had the softest recoil because it was the heaviest; and it was probably heavier because of that extra four inches of steel barrel on a mostly aluminum shotgun.

Also, I believe the Versamax ships with the Remington SuperCell recoil pad, which is much better than a standard rubber butt pad.

SuperSet
06-04-2012, 9:39 AM
I just had my VersaMax barrel cut to 22" and didn't notice any difference in recoil but the shotgun is noticeably lighter now. It shot very flat before and still does. The VersaMax Tactical version already comes with the 22" barrel so you don't have to cut it.
If you're curious, check out my latest video where I shoot the now-cut VersaMax barrel and notice how little the barrel moves during recoil.

TROYSD
06-04-2012, 10:48 AM
how do you bend the barrel of a shotgun?

SuperSet
06-04-2012, 10:50 AM
You will need very precise and pricey instruments that typically only shotgun gunsmiths use.

U1CKMGgrXJI

lwlaml
06-04-2012, 11:33 AM
^^^ HAHAHA!!!!

TROYSD
06-04-2012, 11:57 AM
very funny