PDA

View Full Version : Moving back to California with MechTech rifles.

Cannon-Arms
06-02-2012, 11:38 AM
My brother is moving himself and family back to California due to the Aerospace job opportunities here.

We've been talking about the legalities of what he needs to do concerning his firearms and California law. This site has been a fantastic resource.

One question he has, and I haven't found answers yet.

He has two Aluminum Glock style frames that have been built as rifles with a MechTech 9mm uppers for his daughters. He has no paperwork as to if the frames were sold as pistol or other, he purchased them FtF in free America as things are done out there. Fact is these are rifles and he has no pistol upper parts for them.

He's concerned about California law and the need to reg. these as pistols or not.

Any of you smart lawyer type peoples have a idea of the laws or what needs to be done? California Firearm laws are so convoluted and screwed up.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

bwiese
06-02-2012, 12:02 PM
I believe the guns should come in as BulletButtoned carbines and use only 10rd or less nondetachable mags in CA. This keeps the gun out of AW status.

CA law is separate from Fed law. There is some risk that - while OK Federally due to recent ATF memo - CA could consider those pistols as SBRs if built back to pistols as they've been 'contaminated' as long guns.

Yeah, CA may not know their status unless they investigate, but that's like asking if it's legal to drive around with dead hookers in your trunk if your taillights are working OK and tags are current.

Bottom line, pistols that have been contaminated as long guns should not return to pistol status within CA - whether or not the 'contamination' happened inside or outside CA.

NYsteveZ
06-02-2012, 12:15 PM
How long are the barrels? If below a certain length they can be considered SBRs. If thats the case, maybe you can get them by as SSE with modifications? Worst case, sell them in a free state then pick up some new ones that are legal here when he arrives.

Carnivore
06-02-2012, 12:50 PM
http://www.mechtechsys.com/images/web/GlockCCU_small.png

If it is this one you would have to come up with a mag lock of some kind so it isn't drop free and 10 round mags. Being that the lower wasn't even registered as a pistol from my understanding once in this configuration there would be no going to a pistol once this upper was on by "California" standards. Personally I would sell the thing and avoid the possible LEO hazard all together. Otherwise he should just break them down and avoid using them.

This is all said as I don't remember the "flow chart" and how it pertains to mags in the handle of the firearm so I might be off base in that regard but don't believe so.

Cannon-Arms
06-02-2012, 3:24 PM
http://www.mechtechsys.com/images/web/GlockCCU_small.png

If it is this one you would have to come up with a mag lock of some kind so it isn't drop free and 10 round mags. Being that the lower wasn't even registered as a pistol

Carnivore,
That's the exact setup he's got for them, except the frames are all metal, aluminum he says. I found something similar from brownells in their catalog. He's just unsure of how the frames were originally sold since thy're not actual Glock(pistol) frames. His gunsmith buddy from OKC is out on vacation at the moment.

I have looked up how to bullet button the frame, that looks easy peasy. 10 round mag, check. No problems there. Barrels over 16" and overall length is over 30" at minimum.

As far as leaving them carbines, that's the only intent, as the girls love the low impact of the pistol rounds on their shoulders (9yo and 11yo).

I suppose I should of been clearer as to....

Being that they may have been originally sold as pistol frames, and we're assuming this until he has proof otherwise, yet will stay carbines (rifles).

He just want to make sure he doesn't have to register them as you do a pistol. Otherwise, I think I have my answer from you all.

...but that's like asking if it's legal to drive around with dead hookers in your trunk if your taillights are working OK and tags are current..

This makes me chuckle, I've often wondered.

Thanks Guys!

BTW, I do keep telling him he's stupid for wanting to move back, he's tired of cold Oklahoma winters, muggy summers, tornadoes, lack of steady work for his skills. Oh well.

Quiet
06-02-2012, 10:58 PM
I have looked up how to bullet button the frame, that looks easy peasy.
What others have done for a maglock for a Glock frame, is to file down the magazine release so that it is below the frame and can not be manipulated by a finger, but can still be engaged by inserting tool (screwdriver/etc).

tenpercentfirearms
06-03-2012, 7:52 AM
As long as they have fixed magazine devices, it sounds like he should be fine. It is no different than bringing your long gun AR15 in the state. It is possible it could be turned into a pistol, but in California until you do, it isn't a pistol. Federally, make sure you have some complete Glock handguns around if you are going to have some spare slides handy or you might have Federal constructive possession of an SBR.

I found using a hack saw and chopping a good portion of the Glock magazine release makes a pretty nice fixed magazine device. The more the merrier so you can in no way release the magazine without the use of a tool.