View Full Version : Problem with my FAL

06-02-2012, 11:27 AM
Thought I would post up a couple problem threads today!

I have a Century Arms R1A1 Sportster that is about 10 years old. Somewhere between 600-800 rounds through it. Attached are pictures of spent cartridges. Almost every cartridge has dents on the neck and body. Does this seem normal? I have the gas adjuster on different settings and I am not sure if the dents are related to how the gas is set. I think these rounds were fired with the gas adjuster in position 6, where 1 is gas port closed and 10 is gas port wide open. Also, I think I remember the gun doing this before I converted it to a fixed magazine, top loader.

06-02-2012, 12:07 PM
Take the gas down a couple notches. Your operation is much too violent. Empties should throw easy and slightly forward.

FAL adjust: start at #1, single load and fire rounds for operational check (put in empty mag and load through the port). Increase one click at a time until all rounds fire, eject, and the bolt locks open. Only add a click when case does not eject during normal operation (usually due to fouling and lube burn-off). Many simply click to bolt lock, then add one more click anyway.

The gas port should have the "A" or white line pointing up.

06-02-2012, 1:14 PM
^^ yes sir. this is the method to use.

The Gleam
06-02-2012, 3:29 PM
Well there is your problem right there....

"Century Arms" :D

06-02-2012, 8:41 PM
All the time or just sometimes? Check the threads on the opt rod gas tube. Might be coming loose. You have a lot of brass kisses.
And... Yeah... Century...

06-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Haha give me a break. I bought what I was able to find while living in Alaska and not making a lot of money. This was one of my first purchases and I am not up and up on gun companies. It is a fun gun that didn't cost me too much.

Pretty much every round looks like that. So I should be closing the gas port with the adjuster? It seems like that would be forcing more gas in to the action and making it more violent. I guess I can just start at setting 1 and work my way up to 10. And I never noticed a setting for grenades. I will have to check for that too.

06-02-2012, 10:39 PM
You want to make the hole in front of the regulator BIGGER so it vents more gas out of the system. The brass kisses look like pretty hard hits.

06-03-2012, 5:56 AM
Inspect the extractor on your bolt. It may be worn and in need of replacing. Some of the kits that were rebuilt into functioning rifles are long in the tooth and may have parts that can be worn out.

06-03-2012, 6:27 AM
Somewhere in the middle

CLOSED(too much gas)

OPEN(not enough gas)

Richard Erichsen
06-03-2012, 8:47 AM
Inspect the extractor on your bolt. It may be worn and in need of replacing. Some of the kits that were rebuilt into functioning rifles are long in the tooth and may have parts that can be worn out.

Never trust a surplus spring! Ernst and Falcon Arms sell spring kits for the whole rifle. You'll need some basic tools every FAL owner should have to service the rifle and fix common ailments.

If the extractor is not severely dinged and the bolt head does not show a lot of wear at the point in which the cartridge case's base sits in the head, then you'll likely get your fix from the gas adjustment procedure outlined by the other posters. Another thing to check is if the ejector face angle is correct (this is Century after all). I can supply a FALfiles link for addressing that if you are unable to satisfactorily resolve the issue going from most likely root cause (gas system adjustment) to least (ejector angle).

06-03-2012, 9:46 AM
Thank you guys very much for the replies. I don't get home from work until tomorrow, but I will definitely being playing with my FAL when I do get home!