PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my Sig

SpceSpff
06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
I have a Sig P220ST in .45. Bought it brand new about 9 years ago. Has less than 500 rounds through it, probably. For as long as I can remember, it has had a problem. Slide does not lock to the rear on an empty magazine. This happens with both "factory" magazines and one "aftermarket" magazine. I don't keep all three loaded with bullets 24/7. I usually keep one loaded with 7 rounds and rotate the magazines every few months. I don't think the magazine springs are the problem though, as I have had this problem since the gun was almost new.

Any ideas? Thanks for reading.

mjmagee67
06-02-2012, 11:09 AM
You are holding the slide release down with your thumb. It's all you.

jimster716
06-02-2012, 11:47 AM

And considering 500 rds over 9 years, you probably would have never known it. Have you been practicing w/ another. 45?

SpceSpff
06-02-2012, 11:57 AM
Interesting theory. I haven't shot many other .45's, just a couple 1911's, etc. Only had this problem with this gun.

I have been in the military for 12 years now and learned how to shoot on the Beretta 92F/M9. I have shot quite a bit over the years. I would say I am very experienced. We shoot the P229 now. My thumbs stick together, hanging way off the left side of the receiver. I am pretty certain I am not physically touching the slide lock/slide release. Perhaps pressure between my thumb and forefinger squeezing on the grip would be doing this?

DrewTheBrave
06-02-2012, 12:35 PM
I had the same issue, turned out it was my thumb touching the slide release during recoil. Try shooting left handed with one round in the mag repeatedly. I bet you won't have an issue.

aznanimekid
06-02-2012, 12:40 PM
does it lock back if you put an empty in there and rack? if so, your thumbs.

Striker
06-02-2012, 12:51 PM

This. I use the thumbs forward grip and do this as well with a Sig due to the placement of the slide release. Place your strong side thumb over your weak hand and I think the problem will cease.

tonelar
06-02-2012, 12:54 PM
FYI rotating your magazines will wear them out faster than just keeping them loaded.

SFgiants105
06-02-2012, 1:07 PM
This happens to me with my 226; I've only put about 100 rounds through it. I'm going to try shooting lefty to see if it solves it. At first, I thought it had to do with putting too many rounds in the mag, since at first it didn't happen when I loaded 8 instead of 10. So is this a common occurrence with Sigs, due to the placement of the slide release? I am used to shooting a 1911, and I usually ride my right thumb along the safety, so that could explain it.

9mmepiphany
06-02-2012, 9:09 PM
Slide does not lock to the rear on an empty magazine.
If you remove the slide and insert a empty magazine into the frame, does it rise the slide stop?

Does the slide stop not rise at all or just not sufficiently to catch the slide?

Can you lock the slide back manually?

SpceSpff
06-02-2012, 10:10 PM
I am on duty right now and don't get home until Monday afternoon. I will try some of these ideas out then. The gun came with Hogue grips that I had to notch out a bit with a knife as I couldn't get my thumb tip under it to push up the slide lock/slide release.

With slide removed, empty magazine inserted, the catch rises up fully. Slide installed, empty magazine inserted, slide doesn't catch when pulled to the rear. Slide locks to the rear manually. I have tried pulling the slide back slowly to see if it catches and I don't see any noticable movement of the slide catch as I cycle the weapon.

El Gato
06-02-2012, 10:18 PM

that's what i do...and i get over it... not an issue...tap rack and the thing locks back

Low-Pressure
06-03-2012, 12:26 AM
Has less than 500 rounds through it,

This could also be your problem. It might still need some breaking in.

berg
06-03-2012, 7:34 AM
This happens so frequently that Sig has the solution on their FAQ:
http://www.sigsauer.com/CustomerService/Faq.aspx

Why doesn’t the slide on my pistol lock back on the last round?

Lock back issues can be due to a variety of reasons. I have listed a few for you to check*: Be sure the inside of the magazines are thoroughly cleaned of any grease or lubricant. Be sure the gun has been cleaned and has plenty of lubrication on the slide/frame rails, outside of barrel and the hammer/spring assy. Some guns benefit from a break-in period - give the gun a few hundred rounds to break in and work smoothly. Try different ammunition. If the lower powered ammo is used in a new gun, it may cause feeding, extraction and lock back issues until the springs are broken in. Do all the magazines have the same result? Check your hold to be sure your thumb is not contacting the slide catch lever. A weak hold (“limp wristing”) can result in cycle / lock-back issues Does the slide lock back manually with an empty mag inserted? If so, it is most likely due to one of the tips above. *NOTE: The slide will not lock back on the last round on the Classic .22LR pistols and Conversion Kits.

Sturnovik
06-03-2012, 7:57 AM
If it locks back on empty, then its your thumb honestly. Some grips have interfered with the lever, thats why i recommend hogue and stock oem stuff.

Lumpia is sarap!®
06-03-2012, 8:10 AM
Do you ALWAYS use the slide release lever to chamber a round?

SpceSpff
06-03-2012, 9:56 AM
More good info, thank you all for chiming in. I am going to try some different ammo also, as I have been shooting PMC and Federal cheap stuff. Very good post berg, I will check all that out.

Lumpia- I slingshot about 50% and lock the slide to the rear about 50% when chambering a round.

DrewTheBrave
06-03-2012, 12:12 PM
If you still have issues after trying some of the suggestions here, refer to this thread from the Sig Forum. Great info!

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/150601935/m/749101723/p/1

SpceSpff
06-03-2012, 6:37 PM
500 rounds in 9yrs? That's not even break-in in my most humble newbie(5wks) opinion. I bought my XD9 just over 5wks ago and have run through about 1600 rounds already. Ordered my Sig P239 last week and expect to do that and more. Then again, I could be wrong but I shoot a lot too.

I shoot a lot for work. And not making any assuptions here, but you must have a pretty decent supplier of ammunition. Because that is a lot of green to spend on ammo in 5 weeks! I can not afford that. I have other hobbies to spend money on also, plus kids, etc :)

Plisk
06-03-2012, 6:43 PM
Where are you located OP?

If you are able to, try removing the left Hogue grip, insert empty an empty magazine, and manually pull the slide to the rear. See if that makes a difference, if not if you are local I can attempt to diagnose it.

RDT
06-03-2012, 8:21 PM
Love how Sig has it in their FAQ's. None the less nine times out of ten its a thumb riding the slide release. Hopefully it is the thumb, less headache trying to find the mechanical problem.

The Virus
06-03-2012, 8:24 PM
Thumb.

dem0critus
06-04-2012, 10:50 AM
Yeah, check your thumbs. If I put any pressure down with my right thumb when shooting my p229, the slide won't lock back when it's emptly. I've heard putting pressure on the gun with your thumbs can mess up your shot (not sure if there's truth to this or not) too, so don't think loosening up that thumb shouldn't hurt at all.

longarmshortlegs
06-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Next time you are at the range try shooting with only one hand (right). Whenever I have a similar problem I do this and it turns out that I am always the problem.

SpceSpff
06-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Well, played with the gun a whole bunch today. Thumb is not the problem. I will have to dig deeper in to the other suggestions.

Again, thank you to everyone for giving me help on this.

fullrearview
06-04-2012, 11:28 PM
Thumb here as well. I do it just about every time when shooting off hand.

Freq18Hz
06-05-2012, 12:24 AM
I am on duty right now and don't get home until Monday afternoon. I will try some of these ideas out then. The gun came with Hogue grips that I had to notch out a bit with a knife as I couldn't get my thumb tip under it to push up the slide lock/slide release.

With slide removed, empty magazine inserted, the catch rises up fully. Slide installed, empty magazine inserted, slide doesn't catch when pulled to the rear. Slide locks to the rear manually. I have tried pulling the slide back slowly to see if it catches and I don't see any noticable movement of the slide catch as I cycle the weapon.

Its the slide stop + magazine followers. Ignore the thumbs crowd, they say the same thing in every thread. I had this issue with my 226. Send you Sig AND your mags back to Sig and have them fix it. Your gun wasn't properly configured for 10 round California magazines.

-Freq

dkthree
06-05-2012, 7:29 AM
I had similar issues on my P220 and wolf extra power mag springs did the trick.

Good luck!

dkthree
06-05-2012, 7:32 AM
Wolff....stupid auto correct.