PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and opinions on SIG 551-A1?

hookah
06-02-2012, 10:37 AM
Im thinking about buying one, but wanted to hear from owners or anyone with experience with this rifle, of what they think?
Thanks.

sanfermin
06-02-2012, 10:52 AM
better get 556 same as 551 but for some reason lot of people are selling there 556
551 uses different mag while 556 uses ar mag , i think the rifle 556 does not group very
good

if 551 was swiss made i would buy but its us made i think

luchador768
06-02-2012, 11:18 AM
The propriatary mag kills it for me.

Moonshine
06-02-2012, 11:30 AM
Sig is kinda really only of you want something different in your safe. The latest generation of gas piston ARs are more accurate, less expensive and more reliable IMO

taladeganite
06-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I haven't heard (or researched) that the swiss built 551a1 is any more or less accurate than the US. version. Does anybody have any knowledge regarding these facts? From a purist point of view I wouldn't mind buying a 551a1, the swiss 551/552 rifles have always been a dream to me, But I love that my 556 classic accepts AR mags, I have yet to get it to the range tho (I've owned it for more than 6 months..), maybe today. Hookah, The sig556 forums are a good resource for this question.

taladeganite
06-02-2012, 11:34 AM
Moonshine, what have you heard about the 556 regarding any unreliability? I've only heard about its less than spectacular grouping.

Moonshine
06-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Haven't heard too much about unreliability my point was that the gas piston ARs kinda changed the game a bit because before the 556 would be compared to gas impingement.

The major gripe I hear about sig rifles is they can be front heavy and have less than impressive groups

hookah
06-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Ive been looking at all kinds of guns, I initally wanted an AR, and may stil go that route, but all the AR are starting to look the same to me, Not to mention everyone seems to have one. I like SIGS products from what Ive seen, and like the look of the rifle. I guess what Im asking is if its comparable to a AR as far as shooting and reliability, But with the unique sig packaging. ;)

S470FM
06-02-2012, 3:23 PM
the sig 556's action is almost identical to the AK, so in terms of reliability, it's gtg. you can think of the 556 as a cross between an AR, AK and a FAL but it takes STANAG mags.

hookah
06-02-2012, 4:35 PM
Well....Just pulled the trigger and bought it off dd's ranch, So we'll see how it does on the range.

nitroxdiver
06-02-2012, 6:14 PM
It is a fine rifle. The upper on the 551a1 and 556 are the same, just a different dura coat color, and a different gas selector valve color. Yes it uses proprietary mags. Seriously nice Swiss made mags that function flawlessly. Many rifles use a proprietary mag. No big deal, unless it is a big deal to you. The 556 and 551A1 are both shipping with a Swiss sig folding only butstock. A huge improvement IMHO over the old style sig sauer stock.

The included Chinese made diopter sights are fine, but I personally invested in a set of Swiss made diopters for mine which are worlds nicer. They cost an obscene amount of money though. You can buy a Swiss folded steel 551 lower (mail order delivered to your home) for it and get it even closer to a real 551 if you choose. This is as close as you are going to get to a real 551 in Ca. , and likely in the country unless you have a very large budget.

The accuracy is on par with any milspec AR I've shot shooting iron sights from a slung up prone position.

It works, each time, every time. It is a bit nose heavy, as are most piston drive 5.56 rifles.

The trigger is better IMHO than any milspec AR trigger I've pulled. It is a 2 stage trigger, and you can adjust where the second stage comes in. Mine is adjusted so the 2nd stage hits right as the sear releases.

I love it, but in the end would not choose it as my sole rifle. Fortunately as Americans we can still own multiple rifles in our favorite configuration.

My prediction is you will be most satisfied. Have a great time with it!!

hookah
06-02-2012, 6:26 PM
Thanks for the info nitroxdiver, thats some good info, any reason you wouldnt choose it for your sole rifle?

nitroxdiver
06-02-2012, 6:43 PM
Yes, the reason I wouldn't is because the one thing I really love about AR's is they are like an old ford. I can get parts for, and work on myself, the entire rifle. Need a new bolt, stock, barrel, rail, grip, trigger etc tons of great choices available everywhere. The sig, while a great rifle IMHO, is limited on options, and parts are not redily available. Colorado gun sales sells a lot of parts, but they are spendy because they take new rifles and part them out. Sig will fix things for you, but you have to send the rifle in. I like to be able to fix and hange things myself whenever possible.

Also, since I decided to run swiss diopter sights, my ability to mount an optic is very limited.
I'm fine with that on the 551 because I love shooting iron sights and my 551 is an irons only rifle. For a 1 rifle only situation, I like the ability on my AR to go from carry handle A2, to LMT cut down carry handle A2 + Aimpoint, to trijicon acog plus KAC folding rear in a matter of minutes. That's just my preference though. Like I said, I think you will be most pleased with your 551A1. A great sling can be had from Robert RTG HK parts. Get the HK 2 point green sling with dual snap hooks. One end snaps to the gas block, the other to the hole in the stock. Perfect hasty sling. Also, I found a source online for some Swiss sig 5 round mags. Same exact mag, just short. I think they were out of Oregon. Mag changes will be slower, as the AR BB is pretty quick compared to. No biggy though, we are all just hobbiests, no matter what others may think of themselves :-).
Have a great one and enjoy that interesting rifle.

hookah
06-02-2012, 9:17 PM
Thanks! This will he my first rifle, but thats okay, I plan on getting an AR in the future...it just made sense to me to purchase this gun, not only because I like it, but because it seems much harder to come by than a AR. Where as I can likely still have my pick of numerous AR' s in the future since there is such a large market for them.

nitroxdiver
06-02-2012, 9:33 PM
Then I think you made a fine choice. Please feel free to drop me a pm if after you get it if you have any questions and I'll try to help you out. If I re-locate that source for the 5 rnd mags I'll send it to you. Be sure and clean the packing grease out of it when you get it and lube it up. I just use clp and that works fine. Read and re-read the manual haha. The handguard is going to feel a tiny bit loose where it goes into the gas block. This is normal and doesn't affect anything. Some people put a little shim in there to snug it up. I shoot xm193 55gr 5.56 out of mine. Haven't tried anything else but xm855 62gr 5.56
Those are the only 2 rounds I buy so that's all I've ever used. With the sig sauer included diopters you can mount an aimpoint in front of the sight no problem if you ever choose to.
It is sweet looking and shooting. Be warned you'll probably also want an AR sooner rather than later. Then a scar, then an m1a, then a bolt gun, then......