PDA

View Full Version : Question about scope base for rem 700

Venom_8
06-02-2012, 8:26 AM
Hello everyone, I just bought a rem 700 as my first rifle. After doing research I decided to purchase the Nikon pro staff 3x9-40. I would like to know which base kit I should get to mount the scope that isn't too expensive. My local gun store recommend something I can't remember the name of but the total was about $120 which is almost the price of the scope. Is there anything good at the $50 range or should I just bit the bullet and purchase the $120 setup? Tia for the help.

707electrician
06-02-2012, 8:40 AM
EGW, Tally, Weaver.

These are the three I have used so far. The EGW was their cheaper aluminum one which worked fine. The weaver is pretty nice, its pretty long and has a lug machined into it that sits up against the front part of the ejection port to help keep it from moving from recoil.

I currently have the Tally base on there because that's what the gunsmith put on there when he built the rifle and had to re drill the base mounting holes in the action because they were not all in line

Venom_8
06-02-2012, 9:03 AM
Thanks 707, I will look into those. SomeOne recommended these, any opinion?
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/593054/remington-2-piece-scope-mounts-with-intergral-1-rings-remington-700-matte-medium?productnumber=593054

bcrich
06-02-2012, 9:23 AM
EGW, $40 and works great!!

707electrician
06-02-2012, 9:52 AM
I prefer a 1 piece scope base with some beefy rings. The one piece scope base will help to stiffen the action a bit plus you can get them with cant for long range shooting.

If you want, you can have my old EGW base. The only thing is that I bedded it to my action when I was trying to fix my alignment issue and trying to get more cant out of it so depending on your action it might need to be re-bedded or ground down if its too much cant for you.

winxp_man
06-02-2012, 9:57 AM
I prefer a 1 piece scope base with some beefy rings. The one piece scope base will help to stiffen the action a bit plus you can get them with cant for long range shooting.

If you want, you can have my old EGW base. The only thing is that I bedded it to my action when I was trying to fix my alignment issue and trying to get more cant out of it so depending on your action it might need to be re-bedded or ground down if its too much cant for you.

+1 for the one piece.

stevec223
06-02-2012, 10:26 PM
ive been using leupold one piece turn in base and leupold rings forever....never have had a problem with them....hunting rig so dont have to worry about long range 20 moa base and tactical rings....figure out your use of rifle before spending the big bucks for something you might not need....cheers and good shooting !!!!!

AlliedArmory
06-03-2012, 12:26 AM
At that budget, get a EGW. Usually run around $40.

Venom_8
06-03-2012, 9:53 AM
Thank you everyone for the help. I will research more and make a decision based on your recommendations.

t0kie
06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
+1 on EGW 20 MOA.
I have a NF, Badger & EGW, and EGW is awesome for the money.

smittty
06-03-2012, 11:33 AM
If your on a budget take a look at Weaver bases and rings. They are inexpensive and they have worked perfectly well every caliber all the way up to heavy recoiling dangerous game cartridges.

There are nicer looking set ups but for the scope you bought I don't think you need to over do it. Especially if you plan to upgrade the scope in the future.

BDH
06-03-2012, 12:46 PM
+1 on the Weaver mounts and rings!
http://www.weaveroptics.com/mountcharts/default.aspxeaver mounts

Rings... http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/rings/

Great value for the $$$$.

Bruce