PDA

View Full Version : First try for HSC....

mike_the_wino
06-02-2012, 8:53 AM
and I missed one question. :mad: Dude grading it looks at me and says, 'that's the one about half of the people miss.' So we look over the answers and I want to :facepalm:

FYI, its "Always in a safe direction".

4DMASTR
06-02-2012, 8:57 AM
Lol I hear a lot of people miss that one. Well at least you didnt fail it ( I have seen it happen...)

mike_the_wino
06-02-2012, 9:01 AM
I was a little apprehensive about taking for that very reason. ^^

But I had a hour to kill so figured I would give it a shot.

daybreak
06-02-2012, 9:20 AM
Well at least you didnt fail it ( I have seen it happen...)

dear god

ArcherDog
06-02-2012, 9:27 AM
I missed the one on transferring your weapons to your brother, or whatnot. I figured safety-wise that's a lot lower on the totem pole then knowing to keep it away from children and always assuming it's loaded

Brandon04GT
06-02-2012, 9:31 AM
The only one I missed which I often see people miss whenever I swing by gun stores is the one to the effect of "You are legally justified to use deadly force if a home intruder committs A) a break in, B)assault with a deadly weapon, C)....." Something bout the way it was worded was a bit strange.

TheBest
06-02-2012, 9:38 AM
I missed the interfamilial transfer one.

tbc
06-02-2012, 9:42 AM
Haha. I don't remember these questions anymore. But I recall I missed one question and the guy looked at me as I was an idiot.

Sent from IPhone

ICONIC
06-02-2012, 9:57 AM
How can anyone fail it is beyond me.

h0use
06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
at least you passed!

mc21
06-02-2012, 10:03 AM
I read many people saying that if you fail this test, then you should not be able to own a gun. After taking the test, I have to agree. I would wait till you're done shooting than shoot next to you if you can't pass such a simple safety test. I had some specific questions on mine like when can you transfer a gun without PPT and they listed brother/sister, other conditions of buyers, and none of the above. It was none of the above since I think only parents/child and spouses can do it without a ffl. but most of them were simple like paying attention to the surrounding and your target when shooting, etc etc.

lilro
06-02-2012, 10:38 AM

Same one I missed.

db.40
06-02-2012, 10:39 AM
I just had to re-up my HSC and got 100%. I don't know who was more shocked, me or the woman grading it. I agree the majority is common sense but I thought I might have missed one.

hornswaggled
06-02-2012, 10:43 AM
The only question I was unsure of at the time is if a felony = banned from firearm ownership for life. Not being a felon I simply didn't know, so I guessed yes which was right.

ckyrulez
06-02-2012, 3:10 PM

I saw someone come close. I was looking around at the counter and someone came up to have their test graded. I was amazed that the dude missed 6 of 7 questions and still passed! Now that I think about it, that's actually kind of scary...

loosewreck
06-02-2012, 3:36 PM
I got 100% back when I took it. Yes I want a cookie :D:tt2:

Bw511
06-02-2012, 4:47 PM
I just missed the 21 to own a HG one... late bloomer :(

Press Check
06-02-2012, 5:09 PM
Wait, someone missed a question on the exam? :p

socalgto
06-02-2012, 7:02 PM
When I took it I got a 100%, but when I was getting my test scored the previous persons test was showing and they only managed to get 10 right. How the hell does somebody miss so many easy questions.

Kodemonkey
06-02-2012, 7:06 PM
I just missed the 21 to own a HG one... late bloomer :(

That's the one I always warn people about. Just remember, you can be trusted to go into combat but not trusted to buy a handgun in CA until you are 21.

4DMASTR
06-02-2012, 7:21 PM

That's the only one I missed lol

Just-in
06-02-2012, 7:27 PM
I missed none. People miss because they rush like with any test.

mc21
06-02-2012, 7:43 PM
I missed none. People miss because they rush like with any test.

There's a difference between missing and failing, especially on this test.

repubconserv
06-02-2012, 7:45 PM
The hardest things for my HSC were

1. Convincing the clerk that it is legal for a person over 18 but under 21 to take HSC

2. Convincing him to actually sell me one.

other than that, I passed with flying colors :D

Hyu
06-02-2012, 7:46 PM
lol...thats the one that got me too. was new to guns n was told constantly at the range point gun downwards until rdy to fire. didn't even think and just instinctively picked that as the correct answer.

straykiller
06-02-2012, 8:00 PM
no worries ive missed one to because i wasn't reading them fully. it was the most obvious one also the question was how old do you have to be to purchase a pistol i think i bubbled 18:facepalm:. lol that what you get for rushing i guess of course i know the correct answer is 21.

Duranimal
06-02-2012, 9:40 PM
I read many people saying that if you fail this test, then you should not be able to own a gun.

You shouldnt be able to own a pair of scissors if you cant pass this test. Its all just common sence questions. I understand jumping the gun and missing one or two of those "tricky" ones. Which arent that tricky but seriously if u miss 7. Your barely safe walking around. N yes for the record i had a perfect score.

Eljay
06-02-2012, 9:53 PM

Me too, the first time. I'd basically skipped over that because there didn't seem to be any reason for me to ever need to know that. I got it on the renewal though, which was good because my wife got hers then and got 100% and it would have been pretty bad if I missed any!

liberallyloaded
06-02-2012, 10:07 PM
Before taking that test, I had fired a rifle once (15 years ago) and had never owned a gun. I only missed one question that pertained to the primary safety of a firearm... I definitely overanalyzed it, and when I turned it in, the guy said, "Didn't I tell you not to over think it!?!?" Meanwhile, the gentleman I took the test next to me failed it, and a fellow young person upstairs was bragging about how the "third time's the charm with that damned test" ... Scary!

Solid Foundation
06-02-2012, 10:08 PM
When I went to pick up from Turner's a while back I heard this while I was waiting:

Turners rep: Okay, so you got this one wrong. You know you can't shoot someone for trespassing, right? I mean, if they're not posing a threat to you, you can't shoot them.

Customer: Oh, I can't shoot them? Oh, okay.

Turners rep: So on this next one, you can't loan your gun out to just anyone. Even if it's a family member. They can't borrow it if they've gone to jail for a felony.

Customer: Oh, I can't?

Turners rep: And you missed this one too... (he explained another 3 or 4 gun safety questions)

Customer: So did I fail?

Turners rep: No, you didn't. You can buy a gun today if you want.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment but I'm not sure I want a gun-owner out there thinking that it's okay to do some of these things...

liberallyloaded
06-02-2012, 10:18 PM
When I went to pick up from Turner's a while back I heard this while I was waiting:

Turners rep: Okay, so you got this one wrong. You know you can't shoot someone for trespassing, right? I mean, if they're not posing a threat to you, you can't shoot them.

Customer: Oh, I can't shoot them? Oh, okay.

Turners rep: So on this next one, you can't loan your gun out to just anyone. Even if it's a family member. They can't borrow it if they've gone to jail for a felony.

Customer: Oh, I can't?

Turners rep: And you missed this one too... (he explained another 3 or 4 gun safety questions)

Customer: So did I fail?

Turners rep: No, you didn't. You can buy a gun today if you want.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment but I'm not sure I want a gun-owner out there thinking that it's okay to do some of these things...

This was my feeling exactly... My fiance gave me the "are you f(*&^ng serious?" look... I guess all we can do is continue to be good stewards

CSACANNONEER
06-02-2012, 10:36 PM
That's the one I always warn people about. Just remember, you can be trusted to go into combat but not trusted to buy a handgun in CA until you are 21.

What does being in CA have to do with it? While under Federal law you can't buy a handgun until you are 21, you can own a handgun at the age of 18. Funny, that's the same age that one can go into combat.

chrisf
06-02-2012, 10:55 PM
At least you didn't fail bro. I don't know how anyone could fail that test it is all common sense. My wife new very little about guns and she passed.

JDW67
06-03-2012, 9:48 AM
I did see one guy fail. He was a Mexican and he had another guy translate the questions...

Wasn't sure if this was legal, but it didn't matter because he failed anyways...

rubber duckie
06-03-2012, 9:59 AM
thats the same and only one i missed too

JMP
06-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Yeah, it's really hard. You shouldn't worry if you fail. You win by trying.

foxtrotuniformlima
06-03-2012, 10:08 AM
I missed the one on transferring your weapons to your brother, or whatnot. I figured safety-wise that's a lot lower on the totem pole then knowing to keep it away from children and always assuming it's loaded

Me too. :cool2:

dadoody
06-03-2012, 11:35 AM
I always miss 1.

"How many beers can you safely have before handling a firearm?"

The answer is zero, but I think 2 is fine.

im2ninja4u
06-03-2012, 11:37 AM
HSC is all common sense. I took it a few years ago and zipped through the test in 5 mins with 100%. All that matters is that you passed :).

Kodemonkey
06-03-2012, 1:33 PM
What does being in CA have to do with it? While under Federal law you can't buy a handgun until you are 21, you can own a handgun at the age of 18. Funny, that's the same age that one can go into combat.

Didn't realize that was a federal law. I understand you can own one at 18, that's why I said "buy". Then again, the legal voting age used to be 21 and we were drafting 18 year olds to go to Vietnam.

Meety Peety
06-03-2012, 1:57 PM
The reason a lot of people miss that question is because "back in the day" that was the correct answer. A lot of people were taught that you point the weapon at the ground. I dunno, being young, I didn't really have a problem with that question but I could see where some people might. My mom missed the question about how many drinks you can legally have prior to shooting.. she put 1. Her reasoning was that if you can legally drive a deadly weapon after drinking a beer, you should certainly be able to use a hand tool.

mc21
06-03-2012, 2:13 PM
The reason a lot of people miss that question is because "back in the day" that was the correct answer. A lot of people were taught that you point the weapon at the ground. I dunno, being young, I didn't really have a problem with that question but I could see where some people might. My mom missed the question about how many drinks you can legally have prior to shooting.. she put 1. Her reasoning was that if you can legally drive a deadly weapon after drinking a beer, you should certainly be able to use a hand tool.

Well that should be clearly reasoned to be wrong because you can't measure how a person will be affected by 1 drink. For one person, it may have the same affect as drinking a glass of water. However, it can get another person trashed. It would have to be a standardized measurement that would be the same between people, such as blood alcohol.

Maybe working in the science field has made me think this way

MrExel17
06-03-2012, 2:36 PM

I agree, but it does happen. To this today it still surprises me.

Meety Peety
06-03-2012, 3:06 PM
Well that should be clearly reasoned to be wrong because you can't measure how a person will be affected by 1 drink. For one person, it may have the same affect as drinking a glass of water. However, it can get another person trashed. It would have to be a standardized measurement that would be the same between people, such as blood alcohol
Completely agree, and since there's no answer of "below .08 BAC" given, the correct answer is rightfully zero. I'd be in favor of changing the restriction to a measurement of BAC, however..

Cheap Shot
06-03-2012, 3:43 PM
My wife got 100%. I haven't taken it. I like rifles better and can always share her pistols. Besides who wants to give the state another $25 so we can both buy pistols?

wjc
06-03-2012, 7:21 PM
I just took the test Saturday. I haven't needed one till now.

Got 100%.

nyah nyah nyah!

:D

drifter2be
06-03-2012, 9:19 PM

That is the one that I missed. I was proud and definitely embarrassed that my GF scored a perfect on her HSC test when I had missed one.

Euphoria526
06-03-2012, 10:24 PM
I took my test last weekend and missed one as well. One about misfires and direction pointing. Lol buuuut I passed and he asked me
The question again and verbally got it right. Then I bought a CZ 75 P-01...

clutchy
06-04-2012, 10:28 AM
The only question I was unsure of at the time is if a felony = banned from firearm ownership for life. Not being a felon I simply didn't know, so I guessed yes which was right.

I missed that one in '02 and got a perfect score this last time around...

dem0critus
06-04-2012, 11:37 AM

My thoughts exactly.