PDA

View Full Version : Best Place to buy....

chief916
06-02-2012, 7:41 AM
Snap Caps?

Picking up my Sig Sauer P232 Monday, and the last time I was in the store they were out and didnt know when they would get them back.

Any suggestions... I found them on Amazon, but are there any brands I should look out for, or sellers, I should lean towards?

thanks

Chief

Steve-O
06-02-2012, 7:52 AM
My preference is for the Azoom caps as they are all metal, especially for an autoloader.

Brandon04GT
06-02-2012, 7:56 AM
A-Zooms are good but for some reason mine have developed a sharp edge quick around the end of the case neck (or whatever it's called). It makes for a really gritty feel. I like the Tipton ones better especially since it's more sized to spec but the brass primer pad wears down quickly.

chief916
06-02-2012, 7:57 AM
Where is the best place to buy these?

Paperchasin
06-02-2012, 8:00 AM
Where is the best place to buy these?

Local gun store. Maybe Turner's, or a nearby shooting range. No point in paying an extra $5 to have these shipped.

Brandon04GT
06-02-2012, 8:08 AM
Try Midwayusa, they usually have cheap shipping for small light stuff. The only thing is your order usually has to be at least $25 otherwise they charge a small fee. But it might be a good idea to buy necessary supplies at the same time.

IIRC there is a site that sells snap caps by the round but I can't recall right off the bat.

chief916
06-02-2012, 8:08 AM
Local gun store. Maybe Turner's, or a nearby shooting range. No point in paying an extra $5 to have these shipped.

It looks like i can get them on Amazon with free shipping, I wanted to make sure i made the right choice on brand.

and BIG newb question:

these are so that I can cycle the gun, and rack and release without using live rounds or drying firing right?

j0k3r11
06-02-2012, 8:15 AM
I know Botach tactical isn't a favorite with a lot people, but I bought A-zoom snap caps from them a few times. They sell singles so you don't have to buy a full pack and/or mix & match. They have free shipping and no tax.

www.botachtactical.com

daybreak
06-02-2012, 8:19 AM
has anyone used the spring loaded type of snap cap?
http://www.cabelas.com/cleaning-kits-accessories-triple-k-snap-caps-1.shtml

I noticed with my Azooms that the fake plastic primer got indented immediately, and I wonder how good of a job it's doing absorbing the firing pin impact now that it's indented.

chief916
06-02-2012, 8:19 AM
I know Botach tactical isn't a favorite with a lot people, but I bought A-zoom snap caps from them a few times. They sell singles so you don't have to buy a full pack and/or mix & match. They have free shipping and no tax.

www.botachtactical.com

doesn't appear to have 380 rounds though..

j0k3r11
06-02-2012, 8:33 AM
doesn't appear to have 380 rounds though..

Sorry, I thought they had all pistol calibers. You can also try eBay if all else fails.

chief916
06-02-2012, 8:47 AM
I think i am going to go with Amazon prime if i order today i should have them monday or tuesday

chief916
06-02-2012, 8:51 AM
bought A-zooms for the 380 a 5 pack for $14, And ill have it monday free shipping
:) ill have it before i go pick up my firearm :)

chief916
06-02-2012, 8:55 AM
Now for the newb explanation on why they are beneficial. I have an idea but i want to make sure I'm not only half educated.... and Go!

Paperchasin
06-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Heres the way I use them: Have a friend load your mags with ammo and randomly inserted snap caps. This will show you if you are making any unnecessary movements during your shooting.

chief916
06-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Heres the way I use them: Have a friend load your mags with ammo and randomly inserted snap caps. This will show you if you are making any unnecessary movements during your shooting.

sounds interesting, can't say i understand fully hahaha

sorry new to this

Paperchasin
06-02-2012, 11:16 AM
sounds interesting, can't say i understand fully hahaha

sorry new to this

recoil anticipation is a very common problem...if you throw a snap cap into the mag along with real bullets, you will not know when you get a snap cap or a live round in the chamber. When you pull the trigger and theres a snap cap in the chamber, nothing will happen. When this happens, you will be able to identify if you are making any moves that might alter your shot. Have a friend observe you shooting and they can tell you if you are pushing forward, limp wristing, squeezing too the grip too tight, etc. based on your reaction when you pull the trigger and nothing happens. Hope this makes a little more sense.... Sorry, it is hard for me to explain as well.

chief916
06-02-2012, 11:20 AM
recoil anticipation is a very common problem...if you throw a snap cap into the mag along with real bullets, you will not know when you get a snap cap or a live round in the chamber. When you pull the trigger and theres a snap cap in the chamber, nothing will happen. When this happens, you will be able to identify if you are making any moves that might alter your shot. Have a friend observe you shooting and they can tell you if you are pushing forward, limp wristing, squeezing too the grip too tight, etc. based on your reaction when you pull the trigger and nothing happens. Hope this makes a little more sense.... Sorry, it is hard for me to explain as well.

that makes perfect sense and that is a great method. much appreciated

Brandon04GT
06-02-2012, 1:20 PM
has anyone used the spring loaded type of snap cap?
http://www.cabelas.com/cleaning-kits-accessories-triple-k-snap-caps-1.shtml

I noticed with my Azooms that the fake plastic primer got indented immediately, and I wonder how good of a job it's doing absorbing the firing pin impact now that it's indented.

A-Zooms are good but for some reason mine have developed a sharp edge quick around the end of the case neck (or whatever it's called). It makes for a really gritty feel. I like the Tipton ones better especially since it's more sized to spec but the brass primer pad wears down quickly.

The Triple Ks look exactly like my Tiptons. What do you mean by your fake primer is indented? I have A-Zooms as well and the transparent rubber primer thingy has slightly concaved when new and has largely looked exactly the same since then.