PDA

View Full Version : Range bag MUST HAVES

buzz1538
06-02-2012, 8:15 AM
So I just jailed my first handgun and am heading to the Vallejo gun show today. Im looking to pass my 10 days by buying things haha. I want to pick up a range bag and would like some ideas from everyone about what they MUST HAVE in their range bags besides guns and ammo.

Turbinator
06-02-2012, 8:19 AM
In the bag?

Pack away several pairs of ear plugs. Extra is good in case you lose your primary pair, you have guests, or you want to give some away to someone at the range. I primarily use plugs and ear muffs, but have extra ear plugs in case.

Bring a marker - a Sharpie for example. Maybe a regular pen - so you can record details if needed. Some note paper too, doesn't have to be big, just enough to note something at the range if you need to.

Red dots - I have those in my range bag, these get put on the paper to enhance targets. Some people like Shoot N See's, I am too cheap to buy them. I just use regular office supply red dots.

Leave room for some cleaning supplies. Sometimes it helps to get the barrel soaking while you're on your way home from the range.

Empty plastic bags, if you want to save your brass.

Eye protection, if you don't already wear glasses.

Breath mints.. because sometimes you have to lean in close to your friends to talk while you're at the range.

The idea is that you want your range bag to be a "pick it up and go" arrangement, that way you'll never forget something going to the range.

Turby

daybreak
06-02-2012, 8:25 AM
great post, turby.

I second remembering to bring a sharpie, ziplocks for brass, and extra ear plugs.

Capybara
06-02-2012, 8:26 AM
Cheap foam earplugs for friends and family, cheap sets of regular headphones for the same reason, at least two sets of electronic headphones, spare AAA batteries for electronic headphones, spare batteries for any red dots or lasers, Uplula magazine loader, basic small pistol/rifle tool kit, section of small wooden dowel and or case extractor, spare mags, a few soft cotton cleaning rags. All purpose small portable cleaning kit, bore snake for your calibers.

Calguns flowchart if you have any OLL guns, Sacramento PD OLL letter, spare magazines, sunscreen, spare set of sunglasses if you go to outdoor ranges. The list goes on and on. If you shoot corrosive, perhaps some soapy water or some prefer Windex?

Here is something else to think about, rather than having "THE" range bag, if you shoot different sets of guns, consider multiple smaller, cheaper range bags. When I go shoot trap, I certainly don't need all of my handgun stuff. When I am going to shoot a couple handguns at the indoor range, I really don't need all of my rifle and shotgun stuff. I hate hauling around crap I am not going to need so I have 3-4 small, cheap range bags. Smaller and lighter always = better. I have a monster huge tool bag that I bring for the occasional range trip where I am going to shoot multiple rifles and multiple handguns and possibly a shotgun as well. But I like the small, dedicated bags better.

anothergunnut
06-02-2012, 8:28 AM
I carry a number of items in addition to what Turby posted including a stapler for posting targets, a gunsmith screwdriver set, a can of CLP, and I'll second Turby on extra eye and ear protection. In my car, I have a three foot length of thin brass rod (22 cal?) to poke cartridges out if they fail to extract (never had to use it though!). Taped to my gun box is a cheat sheet for adjusting sights (if I adjust the front sight up, the bullet impact will be..).

billped
06-02-2012, 8:29 AM
My additions to what has already been mentioned ... boresnake, a bit of gun oil or other lubricant, a small flat head screwdriver (ya' never know!), staple gun or tacks for targets at outdoor ranges, a rag.

Edit: dang, too slow to post ....

mtenenhaus
06-02-2012, 8:33 AM
bandaids, copy of my range card, cleaning cloth for my glasses

Hobofingers
06-02-2012, 8:40 AM
Masking tape.

NeoGeo630
06-02-2012, 9:06 AM
Ammo loader

Squidward
06-02-2012, 9:32 AM
First Aid kit; band aids, alcohol wipes, latex gloves, trauma bandages
Baby wipes; clean hands are happy hands :p
Multi-tool and misc tools for field expedient repairs.
Paper plates; to shoot
Water and snacks.

pipboy
06-02-2012, 9:38 AM
All of the above plus
extra magazines
d-lead wet wipes
pair of gloves
staple gun with staples if shooting outdoors
small/medium sized towel
a good multi-tool
small flashlight if shooting at night
extra batteries for said light or electronic ear pro
small bottle of mosquito repellant.

rkt88edmo
06-02-2012, 9:38 AM
Stuff that lives in my range bag:
*Ammo
*Eyepro
*Earpro + extra disposables
*LULAs
tape
stapler
shoot-n-Cs and orange dots
notebook (with important phone numbers inside)
pen & pencil
small pair binoculars
brass collecting sack
.17" brass rod
*Otis cleaning kit
*bottle o lube
*pocketknife
*flashlight
*rag (old sock)
nitrile gloves
Baggie of misc glock parts
AR spare bolt/parts
spare N batteries for electronic earpro
small towel for bench

*required :)

Optional depending on trip:
sight tool
multitool
IPSC target tape
Can for brass collecting
targets
Sunscreen

liberallyloaded
06-02-2012, 9:48 AM
In addition to much of the above, I bring a microfiber cloth to wipe down my kimber after each trip... It seems to make it easier to clean later on. Could be just in my head though!

cebuvfr
06-02-2012, 9:53 AM
All of the above plus i ALWAYS bring a binocular/monocular to see where my shots are hitting.

bussda
06-02-2012, 9:54 AM
Wooden dowel(s) or chopsticks.

gef
06-02-2012, 10:16 AM
Remember while all the mentioned things are good to have, as we get older it all gets heavier and soon you will need a cart and soon after that you will be wanting a Segway to carry everthing.

Dhena81
06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
What I always have in my range bag

IFAK + knowledge of the closest ER
GI cleaning rod
Otis cleaning kit
Lube
broken shell extractor
Leatherman MUT
AR-15 bolt rebuild kit + cam and firing pin
extra ear pro
extra eye pro
micro fiber cloth
masking tape
headlamp
batteries

Ubermcoupe
06-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Ears, Eyes, Extra Ears, bullet puller, brass hammer, multi tool (i’m a gerber man), hex/torx keys, holster(s), mag(s), lula reloader, rag, spent brass bag, tape and/or staple gun (w/ staples), padded pockets for pistol(s), a small thing of oil, knife.

cc56
06-02-2012, 11:38 AM
I mostly shoot pistols so that is how my range bag is set up. The bag is still an "over all" bag with the emphasis on pistols.

-my eye and ear protection
- extra ear protection
- pistol cleaning kit that folds up into its own handle
- swiss army knife
- staple gun w/ staples
- shot timer
- extra baggies
-sharpie
-small can of CLP
- 2 extra packages of clp wipes
- targets (printed/ folded bigger ones/shoot-n-see's, small sticky dots from staples.)
-tennis balls on string

I use a backpack it is a Korean knock off of the STOMP medical bag from blackhawk. It is nice because it has a lot of pockets and "open space". It also doesn't really look like a range bag and it keeps my hands free.

Squidward
06-02-2012, 8:56 PM
Remember while all the mentioned things are good to have, as we get older it all gets heavier and soon you will need a cart and soon after that you will be wanting a Segway to carry everthing.

Sir, you are on to something...Does anyone make a 'tactical segway' ? :D

SgtMerc
06-02-2012, 9:15 PM
Sir, you are on to something...Does anyone make a 'tactical segway' ? :D

Apparently someone has. They just need to spraypaint the ballistic shield into camo and load up the cart with ammo.

http://www.lucenttactical.com/segway_security_services.html

FourLoko
06-02-2012, 9:25 PM
I've seen some giant, heavy range bags.

I get by with eyes, ears, lube, multi tool and tape for targets.

liberallyloaded
06-02-2012, 10:27 PM
Apparently someone has. They just need to spraypaint the ballistic shield into camo and load up the cart with ammo.

http://www.lucenttactical.com/segway_security_services.html

The internet is a crazy place... Enjoy your stay! Where else could you find a company specializing in tactical segways for "Crowd Control, Perimeter Patrol, Emergency Medical Rescue and distraction and much more." Rofl

den888
06-02-2012, 10:53 PM
I always carry towels, to wipe up and a small first aid kit, for minor scrapes and pinches from components, slides etc.

1911Luvr
06-03-2012, 12:01 AM
My additions to the above lists:
I prefer spray glue over staples so I carry a can always
I carry twine because I like to hang bowling pins and stuff
Bushing wrench for my 1911s
small screwdrivers for sight adjustments

SA227driver
06-03-2012, 12:16 AM
Handwipes

UserM4
06-03-2012, 12:40 AM
Nitrile gloves
Duct tape
Hefty trash bag
Trench tool
Chloroform

ptroxx
06-03-2012, 12:57 AM
My friend got oneof these from home depot....I thought it was awesome..

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZbx82/R-203353112/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=cart&storeId=10051
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/ff/ff1e8160-95f6-40b3-85d9-ddf5ff24f525_300.jpg

I use one of these
http://www.amazon.com/MTM-Tactical-Range-Box-Black/dp/B004N0KSG4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1338710156&sr=1-1

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2B%2BbLB2RoL._SS400_.jpg

hyperion.excal
06-03-2012, 8:52 AM
Maglula

sirgrumps
06-03-2012, 9:14 AM
in my indoor pistol range bag (I shoot primarily a 1911 and a Ruger 22/45)

1.) Targets - multiple sizes, colors, shapes, etc
2.) 12" long 3/8" dia. wood dowel - for squibs
3.) cleaning rod - to push out stuck .22lr
4.) 3 sets of ear muffs
5.) 12+ sets of foam ear plugs
6.) 2 set of safety glasses
7.) 22/45 magazines and mag loader
8.) 1911 magazines
9.) magazine brush - to clean the INSIDE of the mag
10.) small bottle of lube
11.) small cloth bag for range brass
12.) 1911 repair kit - extractor, firing pin, firing pin stop, firing pin spring, recoil springs, recoil spring plug, mainspring housing tool, shock buffs, 3/16 allen key, small flat screwdriver, mag follower, mag spring, mag base plate, bushing wrench

my outdoor rifle bag - well, that is a whole nother animal.

zfields
06-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Bore snake
slip 2k
2 sets of glasses
2 pairs of ear muffs
2 pairs of plugs
tape
staple gun
notepad/pen

I have a second bag for ammo/mags/pistols

Squidward
06-03-2012, 2:11 PM
Nitrile gloves
Duct tape
Hefty trash bag
Trench tool
Chloroform

Chloroform, that's interesting. As a solvent or an anesthetic ? :p

M1Kev
06-03-2012, 2:20 PM
I keep a short cleaning rod (just in case) as well as a small set of repair tools I would use on that particular weapon (screwdriver, punch, flashlight, etc.) in my bag. This is in addition to spare magazines, paper, pen, target stickers, Frog Lube, boresnake, multiple ear pro, extra eyes, and a small set of repair parts (pins, springs, anything that could break and be a simple fix). Mainly, anything that I can think of that may prematurely end a day at the range if absent or it breaks.

dragon7
06-03-2012, 6:05 PM
Water bottle. Hate it when I forget it. Oh and when you finally get everything you think you MUST HAVE in your range bag your gonna want wheels on your bag because it just too dammed heavy. Then your next post will be, " What should I leave behind?".

wjc
06-03-2012, 7:17 PM
in addition, I'd recommend a small First aid kit.

really.

giantsfan
06-03-2012, 7:19 PM
All good suggestions guys...there are things to add to my range bag that I didn't even think of. Great thread.

FourLoko
06-03-2012, 8:43 PM
in addition, I'd recommend a small First aid kit.

really.

a band aid or two should do

or if you're ambitious, gauze 4x4s and tape

russt
06-03-2012, 9:18 PM
bulletproof vest, big black trashbags, and a shovel

Dont_Shoot_im_Chinese
06-03-2012, 9:32 PM
You guys sure do carry a lot of equipment. I don't bring more than 1 oz of CLP, very few pieces of cleaning patches, one brush, small cleaning kit for specific rifle stocks if I plan on bringing that rifle, water, maybe snacks, extra foam ear plugs, at least two eye protection, small roll of tape, color dots, and maybe other things if I feel like bringing it. I have never needed to clean my guns and have yet to have any failures but I mainly shoot factory loads and surplus

edgalang
06-04-2012, 1:48 PM
Instead of bringing an entire can of CLP I just bring this...

General Tools 589 Precision Oiler
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKHNU0/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

The thing is built like a tank. It's nice if your bag also has pen holders. However I keep my pistols really clean, so the only time I'll ever need to use it is to add 1 drop on the sear with the slide open to help smooth out the trigger pull if needed.

edgalang
06-04-2012, 1:54 PM
Oh....and after reading another thread...GLOVES.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=579829

:lurk5:

Midian
06-04-2012, 2:12 PM
Cigars
Boresnake
Water

MustangSteveGT
06-04-2012, 2:50 PM
Hearing protection and extra hearing protection.

Lubricant.

A screwdriver or multitool for all the optics adjustments/friends scopes who forgot their tool.

Something with a higher power scope or a spotting scope for 100 yard + spotting.

Duct tape or stapler.

Kodemonkey
06-04-2012, 3:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Packwith-QuikClot/dp/B003BS2PW4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338847182&sr=8-4

Quick clot. If you ever shoot in a remote or semi remote area, it could save your life. I have two - one for entry and one for exit.

capturedlive
06-04-2012, 3:04 PM
- extra mags
- staple gun
- extra hearing protection
- gloves
- black dots to cover bullseye
- white dots to cover where i missed the bullseye
- spent cartridge bag
- masking tape in case the staple gun jams
- ammo loader(s)

wjc
06-04-2012, 3:27 PM
a band aid or two should do

or if you're ambitious, gauze 4x4s and tape

Maybe for you. I like to be a little more prepared than that.

radioburning
06-04-2012, 3:38 PM
This is kind of nerdy, but I bring a couple mouse pads to rest my elbows on. Recoil+rough bench=holes on the elbows of my shirts.

DannyInSoCal
06-04-2012, 3:40 PM
Cigars...

Jel
06-04-2012, 4:52 PM
If you have a Glock, all you need is eyes, ears, ammo, and targets. The rest are just luxury items. :D

NYRangerfan2
06-05-2012, 3:21 PM
Howd you make out at the vallejo show?? I went sunday and they are getting better ... but imho the cowpalace show has more stuff then the vallejo show. The cow palace shows tanked a few years ago and had nothing unless u like jerky, toys coins etc... but in the last year or so, they are actually getting more and more guns and gun stuff! and yes the jerky guy and gal are still there but less and less toys!

drunktank
06-05-2012, 4:28 PM
I'll just name off what's in my bag beside guns/ammo.

Multitool, hammer and pink spray paint for my spinner target, bore snake, ear & eye protection (several sets). Big water bottle, 1st aid kit, walkie talkies, flashlights, and batteries, hand sanitizer, rags, shooting bags/rests, paper/pen/pencil, knife, & snacks. I use a 5.11 patrol bag and it is perfect more me. Accommodates myself and my guests whenever I bring people with me.

drunktank
06-05-2012, 4:29 PM
Oops forgot to mention oil, sunglasses, and gloves.

nra lifer
06-05-2012, 6:12 PM
When tha bag gets to big and/or heavy, let the wife carry it. And ya don't have to camoflage her either.

kmca
06-05-2012, 9:43 PM
Everybody forgot the Stokes stretcher and inflatable splints :rofl:

CWUSCG
06-05-2012, 11:55 PM
Didn't see it mentioned and thought I might add: A squib rod(It happens!)
Some great ideas on here. My Dad and I always ask ourselves "Did we forget anything?"..... NOPE! and sure enough there are times we have. A laminated check list might be handy also!

buzz1538
06-07-2012, 6:47 PM
Howd you make out at the vallejo show??!

So like I said it was my first gun show, so it was an experience for sure. I got a nice bag, pistol case, bore snake, some clp and a new kershaw pocket knife. Ive been slowly picking up things that were recomended little by little since then and I think Ive got a good starting point only thing missing now is my Xd!!! Ill be picking that up Tuesday when i get back from AZ.

Lead Waster
06-07-2012, 9:45 PM
Which bag? How much?

My large midway bag should show up tomorrow. The I can return my husky tool bag to home depot!!

Excelsior
06-07-2012, 11:09 PM
Jerky/Pop Tarts/Granola bar
Blue gun to fondle while I am waiting during cease fires
Shooting gloves
Plastic golf tees
Hemostat
Change for the sodie machine