PDA

View Full Version : 5150 & Weapons Taken (Seeking San Diego Lawyer)

ironcross
06-02-2012, 3:51 AM
Hi all, I would need some help from the CGN for a bogus 5150 and weapon confiscation.

I'm not going to put the story here, but if I can be put in the right avenues. That would be greatly appreciated.

My weapons were going to be my financial lively hood and I need help getting this all back in order. Or else this will cause a financial hardship a pon me.

I am destitute at this point in time of my life....

I live in the South San Diego area / San Diego County Sheriff's Department.

That's all I will say for now. I could really use the help!

Please PM with your EMAIL/number and Ill get back to it ASAP.

For the others, if you know any good 5150/Firearm lawyers that would pro-bono pm me.

Hope to hear from you, and your help!

-Mark

Gray Peterson
06-02-2012, 5:11 AM
http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/get-help/help-hotline.html

CSACANNONEER
06-02-2012, 5:35 AM
Wow

OleCuss
06-02-2012, 6:25 AM
I'm glad you're not putting out details and are going to follow Gray's link.

rkt88edmo
06-02-2012, 6:31 AM
Apparently the preferred contact method is via email, so try:
hotline@calgunsfoundation.org

littlejake
06-02-2012, 8:55 AM
Mr. Jason Davis
Davis and Associates
27281 Las Ramblas, Suite 200
Mission Viejo, CA 92691
info@calgunlawyers.com
T: 949.310.0817
F: 949.288.6894

bigdawg86
06-02-2012, 9:17 AM
5150's have three criteria are "danger to self" or "danger to others", and "gravely disabled". I have seen plenty of people who got put on them only to be released hours later because it was deemed bogus, but the records show a 5150, bogus or not. That may be hard to shake regardless of which box was checked, best of luck!

littlejake
06-02-2012, 10:43 AM
5150's have three criteria are "danger to self" or "danger to others", and "gravely disabled". I have seen plenty of people who got put on them only to be released hours later because it was deemed bogus, but the records show a 5150, bogus or not. That may be hard to shake regardless of which box was checked, best of luck!

And that needs to be changed. Bogus is Bogus -- and denies a person a civil right. Too easy to add and difficult to remove.

626Tony
06-02-2012, 12:40 PM
just contact an attorney have them file some paperwork and dont talk to anyone else but your counsel. Great job not posting specifics here BTW!!

vincewarde
06-02-2012, 9:24 PM

In 10 years of working EMS, I saw tons of people 5150'ed. The most common reason was a manipulative "suicide attempt". Many of the remaining folks really did need to be 5150'ed - but many, many did not. Cops are really placed in a difficult situation. They have to judge the mental health status of people they have only seen for a few minutes. They tended to think that the "safest" thing to do is send them to the hospital where someone else, who was better qualified, would make the decision. Sadly, there were so other times when 5150'ing the person was done simply for the officer's convenience. It was easier to do that then to arrest the person or otherwise deal with the situation. In one case, after being repeatedly sent to deal with a domestic dispute, the officers literally flipped a coin to determine if the husband or wife would be 5150'ed.

On the other hand, sometimes the officers were willing to allow the subject to voluntarily go to the hospital with us without a 5150. My advice to anyone who is under threat of being 5150'ed is to immediately offer to go to the hospital voluntarily. Tell them that the 5150 won't be needed. It will be cheaper and less hassle than going to court.......

Ron-Solo
06-02-2012, 10:59 PM
In 32 years of LE, I've never seen a cop 5150 someone because it was "easier" than arresting them. If you have a crime, there is less paper to book them than do a 5150. A 5150 is a major PITA and takes two to three times longer than a simple booking.

ironcross
06-03-2012, 1:42 AM
Thank you all. I appreciate it. I got a lot of phone calls to do Monday.

SDSD's PERT (Psychiatric Emergency Response Team) said I did not meet the criteria but a late deputy decided to do so.

That's all I'm going to say. I will be in touch with the avenues.

Thank you again!

Rockit
06-03-2012, 3:55 AM
My weapons were going to be my financial lively hood and I need help getting this all back in order.

Ok....I gotta know.....HOW???????
I'm guessing you're not a FFL, so if you figured out a away to profit from this hobby, teach a class and retire early.

NYsteveZ
06-03-2012, 9:54 AM
Ok....I gotta know.....HOW???????
I'm guessing you're not a FFL, so if you figured out a away to profit from this hobby, teach a class and retire early.

He might just have a bunch of guns or a collection that he needs to offload for cash rather than have the police confiscate them and get nothing. Couldve fell on hard times and needs the $ and was just bad wording in his post.
OP-Good luck and I hope someone here can help you.

bigdawg86
06-04-2012, 9:25 AM
In 32 years of LE, I've never seen a cop 5150 someone because it was "easier" than arresting them. If you have a crime, there is less paper to book them than do a 5150. A 5150 is a major PITA and takes two to three times longer than a simple booking.

I also worked EMS and I have seen several shoddy 5150's written because it's late and they don't want to have a 2AM transport to the treatment facility that was often a 30 minute drive from their "beat". Just like when dealing with drunk or intoxicated people they get needlessly pawned to EMS too...

ironcross
06-04-2012, 5:28 PM
Does anyone know of a San Diego based lawyer that could help?

Jason Davis is kind of out of my price range.

Thanks

Gray Peterson
06-04-2012, 5:45 PM
Does anyone know of a San Diego based lawyer that could help?

Jason Davis is kind of out of my price range.

Thanks

What did CGF say?

Solidux
06-04-2012, 5:51 PM
Be strong and fight this. If you are still in the military you can use a jag lawyer for free.

eaglemike
06-04-2012, 6:17 PM
Please invest in Jason Davis. It's not just the guns, but your right to own guns.

He recently (successfully) helped a friend of mine in a not-too-different situation.

Ron-Solo
06-04-2012, 10:26 PM
I also worked EMS and I have seen several shoddy 5150's written because it's late and they don't want to have a 2AM transport to the treatment facility that was often a 30 minute drive from their "beat". Just like when dealing with drunk or intoxicated people they get needlessly pawned to EMS too...

Eh, drunks are too easy to just book and be done with it. Sadly, when they start complaining about medical issues, LE doesn't have a choice anymore. We have to call EMS due to liability issues. We always tried to give the medics a heads up that the suspect was suffering from A-C-T but the frequent flyers know the key words that require the medic to transport, so they get a ride to the hospital instead of jail. The system is broke on both ends.

Shoddy paper is caused by many things from too heavy a workload to laziness, none of which is acceptable. Another ten minutes can make a poor report a great report. I know, as a supervisor, I've rejected hundreds of poorly written reports.

My son is a paramedic, so I am very pro EMS too.