PDA

View Full Version : Mega Arms lower and JP enterprises lower parts kit

RippSpeed
06-01-2012, 10:26 PM
I tackled my first AR lower build today ... I bought a Mega Arms GTR-3S Ambi lower and JP Enterprises lower parts kit. And man the freaking bolt release was a pain. I had to sand down the bolt release a lot to make it fit with this lower. Anyone had this same issue ??? What bolt release did you use??? And did it drop in or required fitting??? Thanx for the info...

Speedpower
06-01-2012, 11:07 PM
I used a STAG bolt catch on my MEGA GATOR lower and it did not require any fitting at all, same with any other AR 15 lower I have, a DPMS BOLT CATCH on a JD Machine lower same no fitting required!

RippSpeed
06-02-2012, 4:18 AM
I used a STAG bolt catch on my MEGA GATOR lower and it did not require any fitting at all, same with any other AR 15 lower I have, a DPMS BOLT CATCH on a JD Machine lower same no fitting required!

Problem was the bolt catch was to thick to move freely on the little channel for it. The GTR-3S is different from the regular lowers because of the ambi bolt release. I had to shave a few thousands off the bolt catch; as to not make it catch on the sides to and make it move freely. After shaving a few thousands off it works; perfectly... Only problem is the bolt catch has parts of it where its bare metal.

baih777
06-02-2012, 5:15 AM
you need one of these to touch it up.
http://www.riflegear.com/p-1565-birchwood-casey-super-black-touch-up-pen.aspx
Sharpie doesnt work as well.

Speedpower
06-02-2012, 9:01 AM
Problem was the bolt catch was to thick to move freely on the little channel for it. The GTR-3S is different from the regular lowers because of the ambi bolt release. I had to shave a few thousands off the bolt catch; as to not make it catch on the sides to and make it move freely. After shaving a few thousands off it works; perfectly... Only problem is the bolt catch has parts of it where its bare metal.

Must not be a Milspec to encounter that kind of a problem, anyway just use cold blue to touch it up, it won't wear off like paints.

RippSpeed
06-02-2012, 8:35 PM
Must not be a Milspec to encounter that kind of a problem, anyway just use cold blue to touch it up, it won't wear off like paints.
And it is quite a possibility ... Maybe I should just check out and see if I can just buy the bolt release, if its not too expensive...
is there a specific brand I should look @???

Speedpower
06-02-2012, 9:15 PM
And it is quite a possibility ... Maybe I should just check out and see if I can just buy the bolt release, if its not too expensive...
is there a specific brand I should look @???

All AR 15 Bolt Catch/Release are pretty much the same, only the ones for the AR10 are off different size, I would give MEGA Arms a call and ask how come the standard Bolt Catch does not fit the Lower you have.

RippSpeed
06-02-2012, 9:18 PM
All AR 15 Bolt Catch/Release are pretty much the same, only the ones for the AR10 are off different size, I would give MEGA Arms a call and ask how come the standard Bolt Catch does not fit the Lower you have.

sent them an email today ... if they dont answer I'll call them on tuesday

Pullmytrigger
07-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I have a Mega Gtr-3h ambi that gave me problems with my JP enterprises bolt catch. I had to grind down the pushrod that extends between the two bolt release buttons to allow the bolt catch to pivot up high enough to catch the bolt face. I took off a little at a time to make it fit just right maybe a total of .050"-.080" not sure didnt have calipers at the time. Now I have a another issue with the flat top picatinny rail being undersized and not allowing my GGG QD scope mount or my Badger rings to be tightened enough. I have another Gtr-3h waiting to built and a Mega Ma-ten which I havent installed my other JP lpks yet, but I know the rails are undersized on all.

tonyxcom
07-07-2012, 1:57 PM
sent them an email today ... if they dont answer I'll call them on tuesday

I have 2 Mega Ambi lowers and I have used bolt catches from the following manufacturers.

Armalite
Daniel Defense
Stag
PSA

They all fit without shaving the sides and moved freely. The Armalite was dimensionally too big where it contacts the plunger which caused a problem with the ambi bolt release. But that was easy to correct with a little filing of that area.

I would suspect that you have a problem with your JP bolt catch.