View Full Version : questions on 5.45x39 build

06-01-2012, 8:14 PM
in a recent caliber thread in this section, people talked about 5.45 and man is that ammo cheapppp

does 5.45 need a special hammer? buffer? or anything out of the ordinary? whats a good company that makes a 5.45 complete upper assembly ready to slap on and fire?

also what magazines do you use for the 5.45?

im in my first build and im building a .22 lr AR, i also have another lower that i was going to build 5.56 but now i want to build 5.45

06-01-2012, 8:22 PM
Try the LWRC M6-AK. It's piston driven and it's a LWRC. LWRC provides an Wolff Extra Power hammer spring IIRC.

06-01-2012, 8:25 PM
thanks, lol wow at the price but it is LWRC, what magazines do people run for this set up? and nothing needs to be changed but a hammer spring? everything else can work with a basic lower parts kit?

that lwrc is a 14.7 inch barrel though..

06-01-2012, 9:02 PM
I'm considering getting a 5.45 upper as well. I just talked to my AR builder about issues concerning such a build. He said that he tweaks the firing pin somehow to ensure reliability (not sure how). He said C-Products is out of business so mags can be purchased from Adams. Also, he mentioned that the Russian surplus ammo in Spam cans goes bad within two months of opening the can so don't open it until you plan to blast through it. Others on Calguns say that must have been a bad batch. A guy at Aimsurplus told me if it's stored in a dry environment you're good to go. The 5.45x39 Russian surplus is really cheap compared to .223 or even 7.62x39. I think it'll be my next purchase.

06-01-2012, 9:30 PM
I have a 5.45 adams arms gas piston upper as well as the smith and Wesson DI 5.45

I run pmags without issue, the only thing you need is a Wolff xp hammer spring, I have a jp tuned buffer spring in mine but a standard buffer assem will function fine.

And I have spam cans from 2 years ago open and they cycle fine, so don't believe everything ur gun guy says

You don't need a LWRC rifle to have fun shooting cheap ammo.

Ps I use my lower with the XP hammer spring on 556 and 223 without issues, the only downside is the XP hammer spring increase the trigger weight so it's pretty heavy, some ppl have good luck with the Giselle triggers

06-01-2012, 9:49 PM
that lwrc is a 14.7 inch barrel though..

It has a pinned flash hider which brings it to 16".

06-02-2012, 7:01 AM
Like the guy said, Wolff hammer spring and ammo.There are several companies that make mags.

gun toting monkeyboy
06-02-2012, 8:06 AM
MiddleKingdom, you may want to find a new AR guy, as it sounds like the one you have is feeding you a lot of BS. That magical firing pin fix sounds like an excuse to charge you extra. And the Russian ammo going bad is pure male bovine fecal matter.

As the other posters have noted, you need an extra power hammer spring for reliability. You can get away with a regular one, but you will end up with quite a few rounds that don't go off due to light hammer strikes. C Products went under, but their new company, Ammo Storage Components, makes the same magazines. I have used several of theirs as kits to rebuild 30 rounders. And they make a very good 10/30 magazine.

I am surprised that nobody mentioned it yet, but S&W makes one of the best, lowest cost 5.45 uppers out there. If you are going to build your own, Adams offers a good barrel/bolt combo in the $300 range. And aside from the Russian surplus ammo, there are several flavors of non-corrosive Russian that are also decent. They aren't loaded as hot as the 7N6, and use conventional bullets. But they still shoot well and cost less than similar .223 ammo. The only thing that I have found is that some guns don't like some brands of commercial ammo. My 5.45 AR will not eject Tula hollowpoint cases. Period. But it eats up the Wolf Classic Military like candy. I have heard from others that they have run into similar problems with other types of ammo. Buy a few boxes of different ammo to run through your gun before you make any large purchases, just in case.

06-02-2012, 8:48 AM
I have Russian spam can ammo from 1987 that was opened in 1988, all went bang last weekend. Russian ammo is really hearty stuff, and the last ammo I would ever worry about going bad.

06-02-2012, 4:38 PM
Never had a problem with standard springs in mine. Just be aware of corrosive ammo. It's still out there, and will rust up your bolt carrier real quick.

Russian ammo is notorious for it's lacquered sealant on primers and bullets. This keeps them fresh long long after the can is opened.

06-02-2012, 6:55 PM
I have a huldra arms 5.45 x 39. I have shot 5000+ rounds of ONLY RUSSIAN SPAM CAN corrosive ammo through it WITHOUT ONE FTE or FTF. It's Melonite coated and I haven't had any problems with rust anywhere. In fact the gun still looks new. Huldra arms is a great great company. The Huldra upper was built by Adams Arms for Huldra. Upper comes with wolff hp hammer spring and 1 30rd magazine by ASC. You won't go wrong with that gun.

06-02-2012, 7:35 PM
Russian surplus ammo in Spam cans goes bad within two months of opening the can so don't open it until you plan to blast through it.

Even actual Spam last longer then that once opened. Your AR guy is a moron.

06-02-2012, 7:36 PM
gun toting monkeyboy, I hope I don't need to find a new builder. I'll look into the S&W and the Huldra. Since the Russian surplus is corrosive, does one need to worry about any particular areas to pay attention to while cleaning? For me the whole point of getting a 5.45 is to shoot more for less compared to .225/5.56. So the spam cans of Russian surplus appeals to me a little more than the Wolf or Brown Bear. Thanks.

06-02-2012, 7:48 PM
Why do you have a builder? Ha.
Like I said, the Huldra is Melonite coated.

06-02-2012, 9:14 PM
I have a S&W that has given me no issues what so ever. I too have "plenty" of 5.45 ammo in ammo can & they always go bang. Also Spike Tactical makes a complete upper.

06-02-2012, 9:30 PM
meh backing out of this build, seems like this caliber is to iffy, and finding good working magazines is hard

06-03-2012, 1:53 AM
Having an "AR builder" is like having a "lightbulb changer"

06-03-2012, 6:27 AM
I've got a adams arms 5.45 upper assembly and it came with all the necessary items to make the ammo go bang. You don't have to use a 5.45 specific mag. I limited a 5.56 pmag to 10 rounds and it cycles perfectly every time. I can't remember the company that bought c products, but there are caliber specific mags available. cleaning of the rifle needs to be thorough after shooting with surplus ammo. best rifle i've built for under 800!

06-03-2012, 7:05 AM
I could not justify spending 800 on an upper in that caliber. I would much rather go with 6.8 spc or another .223 upper. Just my two cents. The caliber is cheap and fun to shoot, but you can get an AK74 for right around 600-700. You may as well purchase one of those.

06-03-2012, 12:45 PM
buy the Smith and wesson and have fun, stop reading into all the idiots who shout that its corrosive and will ruin your entire life.

if you dont build one , thats fine more ammo for me :)

06-03-2012, 2:48 PM
I bought a S&W upper several years ago and it came with HP hammer spring also bought 6 C-Products 10-30 mags.

It has performed as advertised with the Russian ammo, no problems!:cool:

06-03-2012, 4:23 PM
Suggest you guys read up on firing pin mods for both 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 mm AR builds to handle deeper primer seating/pockets on surplus ammo.

Its not hype, voodo BS or a hook to "Get more money".