PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Love

TheFoxMan
06-01-2012, 8:58 PM
So I rolled out my grandfather's old Winchester the other day to put some rounds through it and to see if it still worked. I got the gun from him after he passed six years ago and decided it was time to do something with it.

It was built in 1923, the same year he was born, and has the trap barrel on it.

Shot like a dream. No feed problems and no jams. I had so much fun shooting that gun. Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with it.

RayPDA
06-01-2012, 9:09 PM
Model 12? if so, details on the barrel?
Inquiring minds want to know, especially as Model 12s were, and are still great guns for American Trap.
Pics!

You should cherish it and shoot it -

TheFoxMan
06-01-2012, 9:41 PM
It is indeed a Model 12. It's got the thirty-inch trap barrel with a full choke and no ribbing.

The receiver was modified to accept 2 3/4 inch shells. Originally, it used 2 5/8 inch shells. I don't know when it was modified, and it was probably that way when my grandfather bought it.

There's no rattle or wiggle when the weapon is in battery, and the springs are still quite taut. The plug is also still in place, and I learned when I broke it down that said plug is an old broomstick.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/BlueFox2007/IMG_0897.jpg

I ran two boxes through it without a problem, and it cleaned up very nicely.

aippi
06-01-2012, 9:52 PM
? do something with it? You did, you brought it out and shot it and that reminded you of him. That is all that should be done with it.

I have my Great grandfathers shotgun. Nothing like you have as it is just a single shot break down 20ga. He gave it to granpa who gave it to my father who gave it to me. I will not part with that gun and last fall bagged some bushy tails with it and will this fall. It is part of us, my Great Grandfather, grandfather, my dad and me. And there is a one year old grandson of mine that will own it one day.

Enjoy that fine weapon and the memories as you can't buy those. I don't know if there is anything better then a father passing his favority gun down to his son.

Capybara
06-01-2012, 9:58 PM
That is a beautiful thing. A classic gun, in good condition that is your tie to the past and your heritage. Nothing better. Wish I had some of my grandparents guns but they were all "disposed" of when the grandparents died by my anti-gun relatives. At least my kids will inherit my collection.

RayPDA
06-01-2012, 10:36 PM
Very cool;)

Interesting rollover stock btw -

hcbr
06-01-2012, 11:32 PM
Very nice!

TheFoxMan
06-02-2012, 3:12 PM
I'm actually considering pulling the plug out of the magazine, which would allow seven in the tube and one in the chamber.

Is there a CA restriction on something like this like there is with magazine capacity in handguns?

paratroop
06-02-2012, 6:26 PM
I'm actually considering pulling the plug out of the magazine, which would allow seven in the tube and one in the chamber.

Is there a CA restriction on something like this like there is with magazine capacity in handguns?

pull it. You are good to go

tpuig
06-02-2012, 8:49 PM
Don't modify it. Don't clean it up. Don't be afraid to shoot it. Just clean it and wipe it down after shooting, and it will put a big smile on your face when you think about it's history.

Don't ever get rid of it. You can walk into a store and get a nice shotgun, but none will have the sentimental value of what you've got now. Maybe someday you can pass it along to your grandson...

bjl333
06-02-2012, 10:00 PM
^ Agree w/ tpuig ^

I love my M12s and I enjoy shooting them! Hang on to yours, your grandkids will be happy to have their g,g,grand pa's old shotgun!!! :D

bsg
06-03-2012, 2:17 AM
i'd suggest you maintain the integrity of this old shotgun as is. someday there may be a little one that is not so little anymore, that thinks of you and your memory... when admiring this family treasure.

wjc
06-03-2012, 7:34 PM

FYI, there is a 3 round capacity limit if you hunt with it. Other than that, you're good to go.

DavidR310
09-14-2012, 5:45 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I didn't want people to think that they can have more than 10+1 rounds for their shotgun.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=414820

BigDogatPlay
09-14-2012, 6:24 PM
FYI, there is a 3 round capacity limit if you hunt with it. Other than that, you're good to go.

It's actually 2 + 1 in the chamber in most cases, to be absolutely specific.

That's a great Model 12 OP. Keep the bore clean and shiny, the outside wiped down and lightly oiled, and just a taste of lube on the action and it'll continue to be the same gun your grandfather shot for generations to come, and that's something really special.

Might also be worth checking out this video from Midway USA on some simple Model 12 maintenance. (http://videos.midwayusa.com/index.php/show/gunsmithing_-_how_to_tighten_the_barrel_and_make_a_new_magazine _plug_for_a_winchester_model_12?id=1_qnre290w)

CharlesV
09-15-2012, 5:40 PM
? do something with it? You did, you brought it out and shot it and that reminded you of him. That is all that should be done with it.

Perfectly said and enough said right there. Screeeech! Stop!

And that said, that sure is a lovely stock, wow.

Its an excruciating shame that our family guns of that era are long, long gone. You are one lucky guy. Dont consider even the slightest mod to the gun, instead do all possible to protect it in its current best state and count your lucky stars.

CharlesV
09-15-2012, 6:14 PM
I want to talk more.

This thread is not only about guns but any fine, old, or famous thing. Some people know what they have and ruin it, some dont know what they have and ruin it, some dont know what to do at all.

My parents are married 64 years and got handed down a 1912 Tiffany, solid silver ink well at their wedding. Its the one and only thing i ever wanted when they die. I dont care about or want anything else at all, even money. Just that. All my life i wanted it.

During this marriage they didnt polish it and it grew a beautiful patina. Last year they decided to give it to me. First, Mom polished the living daylights out of it and in the process it fell to the floor and dented badly. They sent it to Tiffany and for great cost the silversmith pounded it back. He got it about 90% and couldnt do more. Now my memory wont be of them, their long and happy marriage and gazing on this extraordinary object, it will be of Mom dropping it on the damn floor while she was ruining it and now i dont even want it. Im sick!

Where is this going? If you cant stand the current state of an heirloom, old fine or famous thing-------please-------- kindly fork it over to someone who does. Countless, countless stories are out there about well-intentioned folks forever ruining fine things with even something as seemingly harmless as polishing. Wake up, dont touch or modify or anything. Leave it alone or move it out into better hands.

DavidR310
09-15-2012, 8:22 PM
Yeah, reminds me of that American guns episode where he brings in his Dads ol Remy 870 and they tacticool it out and charge him almost 2k for the conversion.:mad:

XVIga_Rob
09-15-2012, 9:28 PM
Very Nice!! I agree, don't try to modify that gun. Keep it clean & lubed, and take it out for a round of trap every now and then. Maybe a turkey or two as well. I'm sure Grandpa would be proud. ;)