PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the COLT LE6940CA

thefitter
06-01-2012, 8:23 PM
I just noticed that COLT is offering CA neutered AR-15s now.

I had a COLT 25 years ago and I don't really care for the platform or the caliber but I always thought that if I ever got one again it would have to be a COLT.

Just how do they stack up to other AR-15s these days?

Thanks

G60
06-01-2012, 8:31 PM
Colts are top notch, and the 6940 is one of the best buys, if not the best buy on the market right now.

ginzero
06-01-2012, 8:52 PM
Lots of threads regarding the 6920/6940. In a nut shell for fit/finish there are better brands, for functionality they are top-notch reliable,proven, and said to hold their resale value.

I own a 6940 bought a few months ago and have a few thousand rounds through it. Only problem I had was after running a few hundred rounds of PMC started getting jams, after cleaning and switching to primarily (walmart) AE no problems.

The thing that I like most is how quickly I became proficient with it and I am a complete novice with ARs. At the range I frequent we have paper to 100yds and steel targets at 150; 200; and 300. 200 is pretty easy with eotech and 7x magnifier, 300 requires a bit more breathing control and concentration. I'm actually shooting it less often now since I've become very comfortable and confident with it.

You have a lot of good choices in the 6940's price range, just depends on your preferences..

Arkangel
06-01-2012, 9:22 PM
Honestly and I'm probably gonna catch crap for it.... Meh. Nothing special. I'm sorry, but I care very little which army you supply (or used too) I can get the same quality components on the same platform for the same $$$ from another company with better fit and finish. If I'm spending my money on a new gun, I want to put all the dents and dings into it. If the gun was issued It would be a different story.

I don't care about resale value as I won't be selling it. I will say that if the brand has sentimental value to you, then go for it. After all its your money and your choice.

JohnnyP
06-01-2012, 9:23 PM
I am also the owner of a Colt 6940, which I purchased a couple weeks ago. If you have not come across it already, I am the OP for a thread that resulted in a few thousand views and a couple hundred posts. It was titled "Help! I bought a NEW Colt 6940 that was USED."

To sum up my thread and the many replies, my 6940 had a number of scratches and blemishes that I did not notice when DROSing it. However, when I actually picked it up and got home, I noticed a number of signs of wear on the rifle. I had never purchased an AR before (I have purchased a number of other firearms and had never been sold anything that showed any signs of wear and tear whatsoever), and I was not sure whether what I noticed on my rifle was no big deal and to be expected on a new AR. OR, did it look like my rifle was perhaps not NEW, or was there some other explanation for what I observed. Anyway, check out the thread if you wish. I posted some really high quality photos taken with a Digital SLR with a Macro Lens. Your opinion is more than welcome.

I paid $1599 for my 6940, purchased in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. It took me 5 months of searching for the right price at a store that actually had it in stock.

What did you pay for your 6940? Where did you buy it? How did your rifle appear when you bought it?

Also, what are your recommendations for Optics?

Here is a link to my thread:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=574387

Thanks for your time brother.

Press Check
06-01-2012, 11:23 PM

Good grief, man. Really, give it a rest already. I've owned 3 Colt AR's, and not a single one of them looked like yours.

Jicko
06-02-2012, 1:25 AM
I had, and sold a 6940 almost 2yrs ago. I had the 6940 when it first came out.

I found the handguard way too fat. Other than that, it is a fine piece. Also, someone is willing to pay BIG BUCKS to buy it from me, so, I sold it.

Forget about what JohnnyP said, read his thread, it is rare to find too many people have similar experience as him, so, just don't buy from his dealer/shop.

A Colt is a Colt.... there are many AR like them, but a Colt is a Colt. (period)

My 6920 is still one of my go-tos. Along with a Noveske, and a Larue.

A Colt will always hold its value.

hyeg35
06-02-2012, 1:37 AM
I'm thinking about picking up the same rifle, if I could only find a shop with them in stock!

sigstroker
06-02-2012, 2:22 AM
I am also the owner of a Colt 6940, which I purchased a couple weeks ago. If you have not come across it already, I am the OP for a thread that resulted in a few thousand views and a couple hundred posts. It was titled "Help! I bought a NEW Colt 6940 that was USED."

To sum up my thread and the many replies, my 6940 had a number of scratches and blemishes that I did not notice when DROSing it. However, when I actually picked it up and got home, I noticed a number of signs of wear on the rifle. I had never purchased an AR before (I have purchased a number of other firearms and had never been sold anything that showed any signs of wear and tear whatsoever), and I was not sure whether what I noticed on my rifle was no big deal and to be expected on a new AR. OR, did it look like my rifle was perhaps not NEW, or was there some other explanation for what I observed. Anyway, check out the thread if you wish. I posted some really high quality photos taken with a Digital SLR with a Macro Lens. Your opinion is more than welcome.

I paid $1599 for my 6940, purchased in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angeles. It took me 5 months of searching for the right price at a store that actually had it in stock.

What did you pay for your 6940? Where did you buy it? How did your rifle appear when you bought it?

Sounds like the gunshop you bought it from took it for a "joyride" during the waiting period. Nothing Colt can do about that.

nitroxdiver
06-02-2012, 8:12 AM
My 6920 is as well fit and finished as my other top of the line AR's. (DD, LMT, BCM) It came with no handling marks, has almost no play between upper and lower, and of course works flawlessly. I replaced the Rogers stock with a car fiberite stock, and the handguards with a KAC RAS.

xpbprox
06-02-2012, 8:22 AM
Only reason I see to get a colt is if you want a rifle with the name colt on it. Yeah it's a great weapon but so is LMT, RRA, Spikes, M&P, Noveske. So get it if that's why you want but don't limit your self on thinking that colt is the only way to go.

Drok512
06-02-2012, 9:27 AM
I love my colt... i have a 6920.. Bought it new...no issues so far.. I have always heard that colts are top notch and hold their value. Either way, Im happy with mine..

G60
06-02-2012, 9:40 AM
It seems there are a few people on here who have no idea what a TDP is, the fact that only a couple manufacturers have access to it, the fact that Colt owns the rights to it, the fact that only Colt can use what's in it to produce commercial firearms, and the fact that everything else is reverse-engineered.

There are several top-notch manufacturers that you absolutely cannot go wrong with, and Colt is one of those manufacturers, along with BCM, DD, LaRue, LMT, Noveske, and a couple others I have probably left out.

To spout off that when you buy a Colt, you're only paying for the name, however, proves you don't have a clue. Get one.

ParanoidCivilian
06-02-2012, 9:53 AM

:beatdeadhorse5:

echang86
06-02-2012, 9:55 AM
It seems there are a few people on here who have no idea what a TDP is, the fact that only a couple manufacturers have access to it, the fact that Colt owns the rights to it, the fact that only Colt can use what's in it to produce commercial firearms, and the fact that everything else is reverse-engineered.

There are several top-notch manufacturers that you absolutely cannot go wrong with, and Colt is one of those manufacturers, along with BCM, DD, LaRue, LMT, Noveske, and a couple others I have probably left out.

To spout off that when you buy a Colt, you're only paying for the name, however, proves you don't have a clue. Get one.

This. Surprised it took 13 posts for someone to mention that Colt holds the TDP.

rromeo
06-02-2012, 10:02 AM

Sacramento Black Rifle has the 6920 for $1,199 and the 6940 for $1,399.

valley82
06-02-2012, 10:10 AM
After reading jonnyp's thread, I have scratched the 6940 from my buy list. Too many "AR experts" claimed that colts are all dinged up out of the box and it's not about the finish. Too many manufacturers out there to spend that kind of money on a less than great finish, no matter the function. IMO

Drok512
06-02-2012, 12:06 PM
not to hijack the thread but whats the main difference between the 6920 and the 40?

btw I paid $1099 for the 6920

Press Check
06-02-2012, 12:14 PM
not to hijack the thread but whats the main difference between the 6920 and the 40?

btw I paid $1099 for the 6920

The 6940 features Colt's proprietary monolithic one-piece upper receiver and handguard, which was developed for the U.S. SOCOM.

rromeo
06-02-2012, 12:15 PM
6940 has a monolithic upper. The receiver and fore end are one piece.

calishine
06-02-2012, 1:58 PM
And proprietary barrel, barrel nut, gas black and barrel extention.

6920 has more parts commonality

Long story short, no way you can go wrong with a Colt.

Merc1138
06-02-2012, 4:32 PM
After reading jonnyp's thread, I have scratched the 6940 from my buy list. Too many "AR experts" claimed that colts are all dinged up out of the box and it's not about the finish. Too many manufacturers out there to spend that kind of money on a less than great finish, no matter the function. IMO

You missed the entire problem with JohnnyP's thread. It's not that all Colts are going to look like crap, it's that he didn't bother to actually look at the thing when he paid for it or when he picked it up.

Press Check
06-02-2012, 4:41 PM
You missed the entire problem with JohnnyP's thread. It's not that all Colts are going to look like crap, it's that he didn't bother to actually look at the thing when he paid for it or when he picked it up.

+1.

Pistols or rifles, once DROS starts, I fondle, inspect and dry-fire the firearm the entire time.

The Gleam
06-02-2012, 4:45 PM
II had never purchased an AR before...

Do better research next time / remember to inspect the firearm before you leave the store.

Otherwise, the Colt you bought looked normal "new-in-box" for Colt, as so many had repeated in that thread.

valley82
06-02-2012, 5:24 PM
MERC, Actually, a bunch of self proclaimed ar experts, posted that jonnyp's rifle was pretty much standard for a colt as far as finish goes. Thank you for the confirmation GLEAM

Press Check
06-02-2012, 6:58 PM
Far too many variables and unknowns, and I do not recall anyone proclaiming to be an expert. As others speculated, that AR in particular may have been a display model, or was simply mishandled by employees. On the opposite end, the pictures were taken with a macro lens, which can exacerbate aesthetic anomolies on the surface.

The primary purpose of MIL-A-8625 / Type III anodizing is wear reduction, corrosion resistance, and lubricity retention, and while it is in fact durable, from experience, the surface seems to be easily scuffed.

Colt has always maintained a moderately high level of QC, and it is somewhat rare to hear a legitimate complaint regarding the aesthetic appearence of a Colt production firearm, be it a rifle or a pistol.

Saber2Golf
06-02-2012, 7:06 PM
Can't comment on Colt exactly because I've not used one, but if it comes down to "it's what the military issues"...all our M16s and M4s were made by FN for what it's worth. Any AR that isn't bargain basement and has good mags and a good extractor will work well for 99% of the activities that 99% of the user base here need to do. If you feel that you need Colt stamped on your gun or you're going to have some doubts in your mind, it certainly couldn't hurt to just do it. There are certainly others on the same level of cost and quality these days (LMT for example, is on my "someday" list for when I'm no longer a broke student), but for now, my CMMG with Pmags, small bolt upgrades, and proper lube has been equally reliable as my deployment M4 was in the Army...100% to be exact. But as I said, having a Colt behind your bedroom door couldn't hurt if it's to be a fighting arm.

Merc1138
06-02-2012, 7:27 PM
MERC, Actually, a bunch of self proclaimed ar experts, posted that jonnyp's rifle was pretty much standard for a colt as far as finish goes. Thank you for the confirmation GLEAM

And if he wanted something cosmetically perfect, he should have looked at the thing first. Why is this getting dragged into another thread anyway? It'd be the same if JohnnyP had bought a car without test driving it then 1/4 mile away from the lot a fender falls off as he goes over a speed bump. What the "experts" were saying is that there was nothing wrong with it and that it's not uncommon. It still doesn't excuse the guy from failing to open his eyes and look at the thing first.

valley82
06-02-2012, 8:43 PM
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not commenting on what jonnyp should have done or not. Re-read the thread, I have been convinced by the many posts in his thread stating that his rifle was typical for a colt's finish, as stated I have scratched it off my to buy list.

calishine
06-02-2012, 9:10 PM
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not commenting on what jonnyp should have done or not. Re-read the thread, I have been convinced by the many posts in his thread stating that his rifle was typical for a colt's finish, as stated I have scratched it off my to buy list.

You have to read things people write with a grain of salt, at somepoint you have make a decision based on all information available to you such as actually.going to your local gun store and seeing a Colt first hand. I've seen many with cosmestic quality right up there with best in the industry.

Merc1138
06-02-2012, 9:51 PM

You're still not getting it. If you want to make sure that a colt you're interested in buying doesn't look like JohnnyP's, just look at the thing first.

"Is this scratched up?"
If no, then buy.
If yes, then buy a different one.

It's not that hard. Stop trying to justify JohnnyP's nonsense.

Press Check
06-02-2012, 10:01 PM
Currently on stand-by for the "HELP!!! I Bought a NEW Trijicon ACOG that was really USED" thread.

valley82
06-03-2012, 11:22 AM
Wow, I thought this thread was asking for opinions on colts not trying to convince people to have an opinion??? How did you get that I am justifying jonnyp's "nonsense???" check your medication. Again, re-read the thread a bunch of guys told him that his rifle looked like a new colt, the dings in the rail were under the finish, and so on. Frankly, I do check the weapons I buy at start and finish of dros, and I am not siding with anyone, just stating an opinion on colt ar15. But thank you for the scolding, WTF???

Press Check
06-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Wow, I thought this thread was asking for opinions on colts... just stating an opinion on colt ar15.

And your opinion is based on what, the opinions of others? As suggested, go one fondle one in person. Otherwise, your opinion is based on unfounded nonsense, especially since you do not own an AR.

Merc1138
06-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Wow, I thought this thread was asking for opinions on colts not trying to convince people to have an opinion??? How did you get that I am justifying jonnyp's "nonsense???" check your medication. Again, re-read the thread a bunch of guys told him that his rifle looked like a new colt, the dings in the rail were under the finish, and so on. Frankly, I do check the weapons I buy at start and finish of dros, and I am not siding with anyone, just stating an opinion on colt ar15. But thank you for the scolding, WTF???

The problem is that your posts seem to be indicating that if you did see one that was spotless, you'd pass on it just because JohnnyP's was scratched up and lubricated. That makes no sense. If your only recourse was to somehow buy it sight un-seen, then maybe it would make sense. But considering most of us who buy guns from a shop see them in person first, it isn't much of a chore to simply look at the thing and then make your decision based off of what you see in front of you. This applies when buying any firearm.

Munny$hot
06-03-2012, 11:53 AM
To quote the great Diesel Power " The TDP is a bare minimum in which every rifle produced must meet, it's not a standard of excellence". Just because other assemblers/manufactures don't have or use it doesn't mean their QA department is sub standard to Colts...

Press Check
06-03-2012, 12:19 PM
To quote the great Diesel Power " The TDP is a bare minimum in which every rifle produced must meet, it's not a standard of excellence". Just because other assemblers/manufactures don't have or use it doesn't mean their QA department is sub standard to Colts...

Read:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2259&cid=4

valley82
06-03-2012, 12:59 PM
...I guess I had the wrong opinion, I am sorry for disagreeing with you, colt makes the best armalite reproduction on the planet...please accept my opology.

j6p2004
06-03-2012, 6:06 PM
For "hard to get" ar's like Colt, would the FFL allow you to take the upper home at the time of DROS and just leave the lower in jail?

Press Check
06-03-2012, 7:23 PM
For "hard to get" ar's like Colt, would the FFL allow you to take the upper home at the time of DROS and just leave the lower in jail?

I've actually done that before. :)

If you have a good or long-standing relationship with your FFL, that shouldn't be a problem.

drick
09-22-2012, 1:01 AM
Sacramento Black Rifle has the 6920 for $1,199 and the 6940 for $1,399.

i just checked their site, and they don't have the LE6940CA listed which is what the OP asked about. Do you know if they carry this model?

myk
09-22-2012, 9:37 AM
Probably because the M4's are becoming harder to find. I got lucky on a 6920 about a week ago, passing on a 6940 and I think at one point I'll regret it...

drick
09-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Probably because the M4's are becoming harder to find. I got lucky on a 6920 about a week ago, passing on a 6940 and I think at one point I'll regret it...

i see in your sig you have an HK as well, i was looking at the MR556A1 as well as an option did you look at that one?

rromeo
09-22-2012, 10:46 AM
i just checked their site, and they don't have the LE6940CA listed which is what the OP asked about. Do you know if they carry this model?

You answered your question to the best of my ability. I posted 3 1/2 months ago,

myk
09-22-2012, 12:16 PM
i see in your sig you have an HK as well, i was looking at the MR556A1 as well as an option did you look at that one?

Oh no, I have a Ruger SR 556e-I'm sure that MR556 is the one to get though-nothing but recommendations from my friends...

drick
09-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Oh no, I have a Ruger SR 556e-I'm sure that MR556 is the one to get though-nothing but recommendations from my friends...

my bad, wrong 556...

:o

myk
09-22-2012, 11:16 PM
Look at it this way, the Ruger 556 isn't a bad piston gun either...

dc2integra
09-23-2012, 1:11 PM
Well being in the army I can tell you my assigned weapon a colt m4 has given me a ****load of problems .The carbine has been tru hell and back though.I just got a new m4 assigned to me I'm deploying with this one in a couple months I'll let you guys now how it holds up.

myk
09-23-2012, 5:55 PM
I am officially jealous...