PDA

View Full Version : budsgunshop won't ship Saiga .223 to CA -- why?

bckline
06-01-2012, 5:58 PM
Subject says it all. Does even an unconverted, sporter-style Saiga require a mag lock? I tried to order one and they sent me an e-mail saying the gun wasn't legal in CA. Does anyone know of a site that sells CA-legal Saigas online? I'm having a difficult time finding a retailer that sells them at a reasonable price in my area.

This is the item I attempted to order: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/78694/SAIGA+170270+223+16IN

redrex
06-01-2012, 6:10 PM
I have this exact rifle so yeah, it's CA legal. What part of CA are you in, there are some shops up here in the bay area that have them in stock I believe. If not Atlantic Arms will ship.

Buds and Centerfire are both just scared by all the CA regulations. I will say though that I was talking to someone at Centerfire and they were ok about shipping pistols to CA so maybe they are coming to their senses.

bckline
06-01-2012, 6:20 PM
I have this exact rifle so yeah, it's CA legal. What part of CA are you in, there are some shops up here in the bay area that have them in stock I believe. If not Atlantic Arms will ship.

Buds and Centerfire are both just scared by all the CA regulations. I will say though that I was talking to someone at Centerfire and they were ok about shipping pistols to CA so maybe they are coming to their senses.

It looks like Centerfire won't ship that particular rifle to CA either. This is pretty annoying. There's a > $100 difference between buying locally and online. If it were even $50 I'd be happy to support a local shop, but I'm strapped for cash and can't afford to just throw away the extra $100.

707electrician
06-01-2012, 6:48 PM
What were you planning on paying for the transfer? All the shops around here are $150+ just for OOS transfer

bckline
06-01-2012, 7:02 PM
The FFL I was going to use charges $75 including DROS.

bckline
06-01-2012, 7:27 PM

I do live in the bay area... nobody who I called had any in stock or would sell for <$499. I'll take look at Atlantic.

Edit: the only model of Saiga that Atlantic appears NOT to have in stock is the .223. Just my luck.

0351USMC
06-01-2012, 7:59 PM
The FFL I was going to use charges $75 including DROS.

+tax:mad:

bckline
06-01-2012, 8:04 PM
+tax:mad:

Well, yeah, but that's going to be assessed whether I buy in-store or online.

HK Dave
06-01-2012, 9:36 PM
$399 is the going price at a local store i bet.

MakeYaBootyBurn
06-01-2012, 9:50 PM
What were you planning on paying for the transfer? All the shops around here are $150+ just for OOS transfer

HOLY ISH!!! Are you serious? I paid 60 for an out of state transfer & to the OP try J&GSales

bckline
06-01-2012, 11:07 PM
$399 is the going price at a local store i bet.

If I can find that store, I'll certainly buy from them. The only store I talked to that was willing to check on stock at their distributor and give me a quote over the phone quoted $499.

LBDamned
06-01-2012, 11:41 PM
it's because it's EAA... they are anti-CA:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/OCG35/Guns/DSC01782.jpg

you need to find a CA friendly dealer like I did :)

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u72/OCG35/Guns/TWS%20Dogleg%20Rail/IMG_20120519_143337.jpg

Yes I realize that's not a Saiga... but it's imported by EAA - probably why no CA... Hinterland doesn't carry Saiga though... but if you call Brett and tell him CalGuns - he might help you ;)

ETA: yes I also realize the PAP is not CA legal because of the thumb-hole - Brett put mag lock on it for me (when no manufacturers or other states were)... but I'm pretty sure the Buds refusal for this Saiga to CA is an EAA thing - I'll bet the manual has the same anti-CA slogan that mine did.

boamedt
06-02-2012, 5:17 AM
Buds doesnts usually ship to CA, 707eltrician try vinniess guns in Rp he is a new kitchen table dealer off comino colegio, just had him transfer a saiga for me, $65 transfer fee. To the OP, try classic arms, they are CA friendly, if its legal, they will ship . I got my saiga for $369 few classic

Dutch Henry
06-02-2012, 9:10 AM
Check out RifleGear http://www.riflegear.com/p-1083-saiga-rifle-223.aspx I believe they are in stock at $419.

valley82
06-02-2012, 9:23 AM
If you remember the Amazon deal a while back, CA is trying to force out of state companies to pay/collect CA sales tax when shipping into CA. Some of my HVAC\R suppliers have started refusing to ship to CA because of this, not worth the hassle, they let a middleman deal with it. Not sure if this is the reason?

LBDamned
06-02-2012, 9:43 AM
ironically I got an email from Buds this morning... "How to buy a gun online in only 3 minutes!‏" :rolleyes:

with this video:

iorAz4UnuHc

They need a clown at the end screaming "doesn't work in CA sucka!!!

----------

rromeo
06-02-2012, 10:06 AM
Did you call City Arms East in Pleasant Hill?

bckline
06-02-2012, 1:17 PM
It looks like Classic will probably work and is reasonably priced. I can't remember whether or not City Arms was one of the shops I called. I'll have to give them a buzz as well. Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions.

guitar-nut
06-02-2012, 1:27 PM
HOLY ISH!!! Are you serious? I paid 60 for an out of state transfer & to the OP try J&GSales

My local gunstore does it for $42 (including DROS). Gotta love Norman Hanson Firearms.

wreck
06-02-2012, 6:23 PM
I got mine from these guys a couple years ago. http://armsofamerica.com/saiga223riflewitha16inchbarrel-specialsaleprice35999outofstock.aspx I think shipping took about a week but they do ship CA. They currently have for $399.

TreeHugger
06-02-2012, 7:08 PM
If you remember the Amazon deal a while back, CA is trying to force out of state companies to pay/collect CA sales tax when shipping into CA. Some of my HVAC\R suppliers have started refusing to ship to CA because of this, not worth the hassle, they let a middleman deal with it. Not sure if this is the reason?

The new CA way of collecting sales tax is that either the out of state dealer collects it for CA, or the destination CA FFL dealer collects it, either according to the receipt or whatever the advertised price is. So nowadays, you don't save as much any more by buying out of state. Some CA dealers may not know this yet, so you may run in to a few that will not collect sales tax still.

HBrebel
06-03-2012, 8:15 AM
Sounds like we are back where we started with the stamp tax and tea tax. Maybe we need to capture a shipment of rifles and dump them all into the sea.........or not. maybe dump them into my secret warehouse bunker deep in the CA wilderness.

JDW67
06-03-2012, 8:43 AM
If you're cash strapped, why are you buying a toy???