PDA

View Full Version : Ar15 Lose A-2 stock

donba
06-01-2012, 5:16 PM
I just finished my first ar15 build. Only one problem the stock is lose. Not a lot but there is a little movement. Can i tap on it with a dead blow hammer then tighten the screw down? I am afraid of striping out the threads in the tube.if this has ben addresed before, i could not find it, thanks in advance...

AK all day
06-01-2012, 5:17 PM
If its the buffer tube, then get an AR wrench.

Correction, I see its "A2".

Merc1138
06-01-2012, 5:20 PM
Did you put the extension piece on before sliding the stock over the tube?
http://www.galatiinternational.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MD152.jpg

If you did and the stock still moves, use some muscle when turning the screwdriver.

jasonnorcal
06-01-2012, 5:55 PM
Wait.......you lost your a2 stock. Sorry I couldnt resist. Anyways, find the biggest screwdriver you can and tighten the crap out of it. I doubt you'll strip it.

Peter.Steele
06-01-2012, 6:10 PM
I had the same problem when I had an A2 stock. Didn't matter how much I tightened the screw, the stock wiggled just a fraction of a c**thair. Wasn't enough to do anything but annoy me, but it did that in spades. I had the thing so tightened down that the head of the screw was all torn up, but it still kept wiggling that little bit.

Annoyed me so much that I bought a VLT0R A5 setup, and because that would look dumb with an A1 upper, I had to get a new high-speed flattop upper and ... anyway, that wiggle cost me a lot of money. :D

loosewreck
06-02-2012, 2:53 PM
I've also got the slightest wiggle with my UBR, at first glance and feel its solid, but if you really feel for it its there. I've removed it assessed and tried to remount it, but its still there. I've just learned to accept it. Its very slight, but when I allow myself to slip into my OCD moments it can irk me. I figure nothing's perfect when parts are designed with tolerances intended for modularity to this extreme. Also, I had a MOE stock that wiggled way more, but that went away when I shot the rifle ;)

donba
06-02-2012, 3:00 PM
thanks guys will wait till i get back from the range before retighten ....

ott1
06-02-2012, 3:33 PM
Put a piece of scotch tape the full length of the buffer tube on two sides and slide the stock in. If it's still loose, put two more pieces of tape elsewhere on the buffer tube.

Federal
06-02-2012, 3:59 PM
^yup!
Or you can also add a piece of two sided tape, or even a small piece of cloth between the forward end of the stock and the rear of the lower reciever, it does the trick for me everytime..

JJ1911
06-02-2012, 4:27 PM
Mine wiggled a bit. Here's what i did:
Take off the stock.
Take some electrical tape
Place strips of tape on the tube ( i used 4 pieces). Make sure to place them lengthwise. Re apply stock, you'll find there is much less movement