View Full Version : Need some advise jc higgins home defense

06-01-2012, 3:44 PM
I have an old jc Higgins i got more than 25 years ago, must be pre 1968. Its in good condition even though my idiot buddy ran over the stock 20 plus years ago, the glue has held up this long. Any way i want to shorten it for home defense instead of going out and buying a new one. I figured i'd cut the stock to pistol only and cut the barrel and relocate the adjustable choke to the shortened barrel. I know it has to be 26" and the choke can be part of that length. Does any pre made mossberg ot other aftermarket stock kit fit the JC( made by high standard i've been told)
The cool thing is this is an early gun so it has no sear disconnect, just hold the trigger down and rack the slide as fast as you can and it will keep firing.
Thanks for advise

06-01-2012, 4:34 PM
Don't know about an after market stock being available. For HD work, I would not cut the stock to a pistol grip. Cut the stock to 12 or 13 inch LOP and you'll be happier. A pistol grip only shotgun is very hard to follow up shots. I would also lose the choke, you won't need it. Install a simple bead and you'll be set for anything.

Personally, I'd keep it stock (nice gun) and buy a second hand 870 for HD.

Or go your route. :)

06-01-2012, 5:05 PM
Ill consider buying a second hand, it would be much easier making the decision if there was a tacical kit out there for the JC, but anything i do probably wont look as good as manufactured components. Ill kick it around in my head

06-01-2012, 5:12 PM
Found this its cool

06-01-2012, 7:21 PM
Might be able to find replacement furniture for it at Numrich or one of the other parts houses. If it's a Mossberg made Higgins a stock for a 500 should be a decent fit.

Pistol grip only and repetitive slam fire is not something I'd want to do a lot of, but that's just me.

As others have said that's a decent looking gun. Instead of going bubba on it, sell it to someone who'll appreciate it and put the money toward a Mossberg Persuader model. If you are in the Bay Area drop me a PM.

06-01-2012, 7:39 PM
You persuadered me into keeping it as is, ive wanted a mossberg JIC for a while and i can use it in my boat too, so ill look for one or a cruiser or persuader

Doesnt anyone make the "persuader type" in 20 guage??
Ah just found it in 20 g, i think ill go for that

06-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I also have this jc higgins i got a couple decades ago, its 20 gauge and a beauty, has the same diala choke

06-02-2012, 7:47 PM
You may want to try a 12 gauge with a pistol grip before you cut yours down. Many people (including yours truly) find it just too difficult to deal with and 2nd shots not too easy.

06-03-2012, 7:25 AM
I have the same shotgun, and it is just fine for HD as nature made it (but that brake/choke makes even dove loads loud as hell!). Never knew there was a slam-fire feature on these, might have to try that one out on the next trip to the range.

06-03-2012, 8:01 AM
Ive decided to get a mossberg persuader in 20 gauge

06-03-2012, 6:04 PM
Good for you. Thanks for saving a reasonably priced, beautiful classic pump from ruination!
I sure miss mine that I Bubba'd up and ruined!

06-03-2012, 6:30 PM
Good for you. Thanks for saving a reasonably priced, beautiful classic pump from ruination!
I sure miss mine that I Bubba'd up and ruined!

Big time on saving the classic... have pretty much the same exact one just different choke on the end and its an awesome gun that has NEVER failed me once out shooting, and to add round count on it has to be outrageous and its still smooth as ever!