PDA

View Full Version : Stiff, nearly non adjustable Atlas bipod

swamp2
06-01-2012, 3:43 PM
I have a brand new Atlas bipod, really a very nice unit. However, it does not seem to swivel nor cant properly. The tension adjustment nut on the bottom is very stiff and has a maximum adjustment range of just about only 180 degrees. To the extreme in either direction I can not force any cant or rotation in the bipod when off of the rifle. When on the rifle I can get a forced, high friction, cant and rotation. However, the full range of the tension knob has no effect on the tightness/friction of the cant/rotate. Something must be amiss here. Perhaps I can get some input here from the forum before waiting for Atlas to reply by email. I've heard their CS is as top notch as are their products. So either way I'm not too concerned other than perhaps a small QA or inspection issue.

LBDamned
06-01-2012, 5:07 PM
whatever you do, DON'T oil it!!!

I had the same problem when mine was new... I called manufacturer (I forget his name) - super nice guy and very helpful, but... he suggested a bit of oil - which made it too loose (imo) - not sloppy, wobbly, but too easy to move ... I used a bunch of gun scrubber and lots of manipulating to get it back to semi-stiff (damn, that sounds wrong :o)

I wish I had just worked it for a while a let it loosen up on it's own... that's my suggestion in your case. You really don't need a lot of free movement (I understand it's real stiff)...

Give it a few outings and see if you still feel it needs to loosen up... if so, consider oil - but very, VERY little... I still advise to give it time as is.

swamp2
06-01-2012, 5:11 PM
^ Awesome, thanks for the super fast and extremely solid tips. Yo da man!

Is the mere 180 degrees of turning available in the tension wheel also normal?

LBDamned
06-01-2012, 5:21 PM

honestly I don't recall... I know it doesn't spin multiple 360 or anything - in fact I don't think mine goes a full 360... but I'd have to get it out and turn it to know for sure... once I got it to where it's pretty solid I haven't loosened it to adjust.

If your concern is to loosen it more in order to have more movement, don't bother (or worry that its not turning farther)... it's normal to be real stiff... set it how you want it and tighten down... once it's mounted you'll be able to move it (with a bit of struggle) - especially if it's loosened (even 180)... but the only other option is oil and I think you should wait (I wish I did)...

If you are real concerned about the 180 thing, I'll check mine in a bit...

LBDamned
06-01-2012, 5:37 PM

I just check mine - it's exactly 270 (3/4 turn)... and yours might be too after a while of use...

ExtremeX
06-01-2012, 6:05 PM
I got one too, but its still pretty brand new. Im guessing its just going to wear in a little after some normal use.

Off the rifle it should be near impossible to move... on the rifle you can see it work a lot better. I prefer a decent amount of resistance in the bipod. I don't like it all loosy goosy flopping around.

The vertical cant left to right isn't very difficult to do, if i let go there is enough tension to keep it in place. The panning/tracking its stiffer than I like, but it depends on on the surface on the ground and how far i have legs extended. I just load up the bipod a little more. Its a lot more durable than it looks.

Just start using it more...

The only time I really mess with the tension knob is when I move from from rifle to rifle. I have 2 rifles I use the Atlas on and the weight between the two is pretty different.

swamp2
06-01-2012, 7:53 PM
Great, guys. Thanks so much to all!