PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to change out an A2 FSB to a low-profile?

Mossy Man
06-01-2012, 4:40 PM
I'm sure it's been discussed.....but any help would be appreciated.

clutchy
06-01-2012, 4:50 PM
just punch out the 2 taper pins and then figure out how you're going to secure the lo-pro gas block.

I personally chopped mine(had a little help) to get the low profile under the rail gas block but it also has the reliability of the FSB.

also less likely to have gassing issues b/c you goofed the gas block install... which seems to be prevalent.

h0use
06-01-2012, 4:51 PM
you need to punch out the 2 pins. might need to use a rubber mallet to remove the site. its very easy to do.

Mossy Man
06-01-2012, 4:52 PM
so if you're running a carbine-length handguard with A2 FSB, and you chop it...what are your handguard options?

clutchy
06-01-2012, 4:54 PM
so if you're running a carbine-length handguard with A2 FSB, and you chop it...what are your handguard options?

free float rail buddy!!

Daniel defense

Troy/VTAC

Larue

etc etc ad infinitum...

http://i.imgur.com/aFJTql.jpg

Mossy Man
06-01-2012, 4:59 PM
do free float guards attach to the regular delta ring?

artoaster
06-01-2012, 5:23 PM
Check out some Youtube vids. You're going to need some tools and taking off barrel nut and changing a couple parts or at least cutting the Delta ring and using an adaptor with some brands of free float tube.

Arkangel
06-01-2012, 9:40 PM
free float rail buddy!!

Troy/VTAC

http://i.imgur.com/aFJTql.jpg

Nice rifle, VTAC gets my vote for ff hg's.

gemini1
06-01-2012, 10:37 PM
Do you have the tools to remove the FSB and/or barrel from the receiver? If you dont, then you're better of letting a smith do it for you. Otherwise, hook up with a forum member in your area with tools willing to help you out.
As suggested above, you can just cut the FSB. The only free float rail I can think of that does not require taking off anything at the barrel nut area is Daniel Defense. There are others thats cheaper, but I think it requires cutting the delta ring.

Ar_Glock_Man
06-02-2012, 12:33 AM
2taper pins and 1 small pin on the sight to detach gas tube from sight

Jicko
06-02-2012, 1:09 AM
do free float guards attach to the regular delta ring?

If you don't want to F with the delta ring, get a Daniel Defense OMEGA rail, it is free float, and it attached to your original delta ring yet no modification is needed.

Assume you have the most typical M4-carbine upper with A2 FSB, you can get 7" omega, and it just replaces your original handguard. And you don't even need to mess with your A2 FSB.

Or you can get 9" omega, remove your A2 FSB, replace it with a micro gas block (DD, vltor, etc made them), and it will fit inside the 9" rail.

If you have a 14.5" barrel and a pin/welded muzzle device, then you will have to cut and grind down your FSB, but eventually, you can grind it down enough to fit "inside" the 9" rail too.