PDA

View Full Version : Opinion of vepr 7.62x54r

JLMXD
06-01-2012, 4:23 PM
Hey all I was looking into this gun and was wondering if any of you had experience with it or would recommend it? I have a Mosin and though it would be a nice addition since they share the same rounds.
any thoughts? like dislike?

AK all day
06-01-2012, 4:24 PM
I want one pretty damn bad. From what I have heard, they are top notch guns.

JLMXD
06-01-2012, 4:27 PM
for that price i sure hope so

h0use
06-01-2012, 4:52 PM
i would also like one!

shoebox56
06-01-2012, 4:52 PM
I bought the Dragunov style 23" barrel. No complaints. Hitting everything with the iron sights. Will eventually get a scope. One striking aspect of the rifle is that it's sexy as hell. The furniture is beautiful in person. Opening up the rifle, the internals look a little more tighter and cleaner then my Saiga's. You won't regret it, except maybe ammo prices.

gotshotgun?
06-01-2012, 5:00 PM
Ammo is ridiculously cheep isn't it?

JLMXD
06-01-2012, 5:04 PM

for surplus. I wouldn't use surplus in such a nice rifle. only in a mosin but thats just me.

AK all day
06-01-2012, 5:06 PM

I would use the surplus, there is nothing wrong with it. As long as you clean your rifle, you will be just fine.

kpinole
06-01-2012, 5:29 PM
I have the 23" version; build quality is excellent, far nicer than Saiga, Arsenals or my PSL. However, the PSL looks cooler and seems to be a better shooter. My groups were more AK-like w/ the VEPR. :(

Capybara
06-01-2012, 5:34 PM
Beautiful rifle and I have seen several reviews that loved it. I am thinking the same thing, only cheap ammo left on the market. $900.00 is not cheap but it looks to be a very nice gun.

AK all day
06-01-2012, 5:35 PM
yeah, the only way I could afford one is a trade. Haha, if you can afford it, get one.

shoebox56
06-01-2012, 5:44 PM

Unfortunately I got the ammo from Turner's, because I was in a hurry. Don't remember what it was, but sure as heck didn't feel cheap. Gun Show finally arrived recently and got a crate of corrosive surplus stuff. Haven't had a chance blast away with it yet.

JLMXD
06-01-2012, 6:58 PM
Unfortunately I got the ammo from Turner's, because I was in a hurry. Don't remember what it was, but sure as heck didn't feel cheap. Gun Show finally arrived recently and got a crate of corrosive surplus stuff. Haven't had a chance blast away with it yet.
did you get it at Del Mar?

shoebox56
06-01-2012, 7:17 PM
did you get it at Del Mar?

Yes, Del Mar. ~800 rounds for $170.

Unfortunately, this doesn't include tax, entrance fee, and parking costs :(

FourLoko
06-01-2012, 7:25 PM
Seems to be the best bargain surplus ammo can be had in this caliber. I see the giant cases all over the local range.

Since my AR upper has finally been confirmed a failure I might consider a VEPR but in 7.62x39 since that's the caliber I've "invested" in. Since we have to have a stupid mag lock on a "proper" AK, it makes more sense to have a lower cap mag on a heavier, more accurate version in the VEPR.

JLMXD
06-01-2012, 7:55 PM
Yes, Del Mar. ~800 rounds for $170.

Unfortunately, this doesn't include tax, entrance fee, and parking costs :(

do you remember which vendor you brought from?
I normally buy from the guy who is right as you walk in the building

JLMXD
06-01-2012, 7:58 PM
Seems to be the best bargain surplus ammo can be had in this caliber. I see the giant cases all over the local range.

Since my AR upper has finally been confirmed a failure I might consider a VEPR but in 7.62x39 since that's the caliber I've "invested" in. Since we have to have a stupid mag lock on a "proper" AK, it makes more sense to have a lower cap mag on a heavier, more accurate version in the VEPR.

I think you still have to have a lock on the vepr. At least that's what Atlantic Firearms website says for California.

Or is that only for the one with the thumb hole stock

shoebox56
06-01-2012, 8:03 PM
do you remember which vendor you brought from?
I normally buy from the guy who is right as you walk in the building

Exactly. Miwell Corp., Grass Valley, CA. (Looking at the receipt right now.) They're always near the front entrance. Seem to always have the best prices. I bought on a Sunday, if that matters.

shoebox56
06-01-2012, 8:05 PM

Mine had the thumbhole wood stock. I had to include a bullet button as part of the purchase. Uh, forgot to mention, bought it from Atlantic.

FourLoko
06-01-2012, 9:17 PM
I think you still have to have a lock on the vepr. At least that's what Atlantic Firearms website says for California.

I guess I wasn't clear. I meant that if you're stuck with a mag lock, it will be more tolerable on a gun you know is heavy and that you're less likely to run and gun with ala the VEPR.

If I want to stand and fire an AK and switch mags, those darn things seem worse than the BB on an AR. I've seen people fight with them.

Capybara
06-01-2012, 9:54 PM
FourLoko, which local range have you seen people shooting the 7.62x54 ammo at? Just curious.