PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Cleaning - How much do you brush?

dem0critus
06-01-2012, 2:46 PM
I was just cleaning the inside of my barrel, and I noticed that there is a seemingly endless amount of carbon inside. If I soak it with CLP, brush with a brass brush, then push patches thru until I get a clean patch on the other side, and repeat, I find that even after performing this process 3-5 times, I still get a ton of carbon on the first patch I push thru after brushing.

Should I keep brushing until I've basically gotten all the carbon out, or should I just let it be after brushing it a few times? Also, I feel like brushing the hell out of the barrel could be bad for the crown. Any truth to this?

loosewreck
06-01-2012, 2:53 PM
The patches don't have to come out perfectly white. You're right, over scrubbing can lead to damage.

dem0critus
06-01-2012, 2:56 PM
The patches don't have to come out perfectly white. You're right, over scrubbing can lead to damage.

I dont mean perfectly white. Ill brush it, then put some patches thru until i get a clean one. Then, if I clean the brush and put it thru again right after that for a few passes, the next patch i push thru will be loaded up with carbon.

So is it better then to just leave that carbon buildup in there to avoid "over scrubbing" it?

elsolo
06-01-2012, 2:59 PM
Once you wiped the residue off the feed ramp, and cleaned any major crud out of the chamber, a pistol barrel is as clean as it needs to be.

If you shoot plain lead, go back to cleaning the leading out.

mod1217
06-01-2012, 3:08 PM
IMHO this is how much you should clean your pistol.

First thing first, I dont think that bore brush specially the bronze type would do any damage to the barrel of the gun, remember there is this copper and lead thing that goes through that barrel at more than 1000 ft/sec and that kind of abuse is so much more than any copper brush out there.

Second after brushing and patch its really not necessary to brush the barrel and run a patch again to remove all the carbon that is in there remember there is a more effective carbon removal tool for the barrel out there it is called a bullet.

Just pay more attention to carbon build-up on the extractor, feedramp, chamber, and slide rail, and your pistol would be good to go everytime you ask it to come out and play :68:

dadoody
06-01-2012, 3:17 PM
Brushing too much is bad.

If you're real anal about a squeaky clean barrel, then use Hoppes Elite and let it soak in for a day, then clean again.

If you want it bright and sparkly, then stuff in some Flitz metal polish and go back and forth with a bore snake until its a mirror shine in there. Don't forget to oil it after.

dem0critus
06-01-2012, 3:27 PM
Thanks for the pointers! Sounds like I should be brushin' less!

jchen76@gmail.com
06-01-2012, 3:33 PM
A gun instructor showed me a good way to clean the barrel without over scrubbing for calibers greater than .22lr. Take a bronze bore brush attachemnt that is one size smaller than actual pistol bore. e.g 9mm = .32cal or .30 cal bronze attachment. Take a patch and spray it down/dip in solvent, wrap patch around brush. Twist the brush like a drill until all the way thru. Repeat with another soaked patch until carbon is out, use clean patch to clear out solvent. Usually only use 2- 3 patches with this method. Works great!

XVIga_Rob
06-01-2012, 5:01 PM
Brushing too much is bad.

If you're real anal about a squeaky clean barrel, then use Hoppes Elite and let it soak in for a day, then clean again.

If you want it bright and sparkly, then stuff in some Flitz metal polish and go back and forth with a bore snake until its a mirror shine in there. Don't forget to oil it after.

I'm a bit anal about keeping my guns clean and lubed. I let the barrel soak in some Hoppes while I clean the rest of the gun, then hit it with a few stokes of the brush, then pass a few patches through until I get a clean one out.

I've used alot of different stuff to clean & lube my guns over the years. I keep a small bottle of CLP in my range bag/box. However, when at home and cleaning guns, I use Hoppes Elite.

far from tactical
06-01-2012, 5:49 PM
what i do is i run a bore snake first 2 or 3 times then spray some clp then run a brush 2 times and a patch then you should be good to go IMO

each person has they own way to clean there gun so you have to make your own choice on how you want it clean

thats my own 0.02 cents

tal3nt
06-01-2012, 7:10 PM
This is the best method I have come across so far. CLP soak, brass brush scrub the barrel reeeally well, then run a snake to wipe out all the nasty carbon CLP juice. Final step, look thru the barrel and say "damn that's clean"

enzo357
06-01-2012, 7:12 PM
Also depends on the gun. My glocks get very little in the way of cleaning. My friend told me he cleaned his in the dish washer the other day. My 1911s get a little more attention.

tal3nt
06-01-2012, 7:16 PM
Sorry but your friend is a moron man. How is that even easier than cleaning it the regular way.. Plus now he has lead running thru his dish washing machine.

beretta929mm
06-01-2012, 7:24 PM
I use Hop's 9 to soak the barrel before brushing.

enzo357
06-01-2012, 7:43 PM
The thing I am trying to figure out is if he actually did it, or was just talking garbage. Seems crazy to me. But if he is pulling my leg, he is doing a good job of it.

Press Check
06-01-2012, 7:53 PM
Grab a ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight.

Mr. Gillious
06-01-2012, 8:11 PM
Shooter's Choice Bore solvent is the strongest I've used. It works very good on getting powder/lead residue out with a bronze brush but not so much copper. The hoppes copper solvent works pretty good and the foam stuff. Using bore mops and bore snakes help too. Speaking of boresnakes, i've attached 3 9mm boresnakes together and made a giant boresnake and that works pretty damn good and fast too.

and to lube it, i like to use ballistol

One thing i don't like about using cleaning rods is that there's a possibility of scratching the grooves or lands from the rod if you didn't push it in straight or was rushing to clean it. So, what i've done is took shrimp wrap for wires and just heated them onto the rod. it's nice.

Turbinator
06-01-2012, 8:15 PM
Sorry but your friend is a moron man. How is that even easier than cleaning it the regular way.. Plus now he has lead running thru his dish washing machine.

+1

Don't put your gun stuff in the dishwasher, this is a good way to introduce lead residue to your diet.

Turby

dem0critus
06-01-2012, 8:22 PM
+1

Don't put your gun stuff in the dishwasher, this is a good way to introduce lead residue to your diet.

Turby

Haha ya bad call on the dishwasher..

Huge Grant
06-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Use nylon brushes and scrub to your hearts content. None of my barrels have felt the harsh kiss of copper.

Press Check
06-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Use nylon brushes and scrub to your hearts content. None of my barrels have felt the harsh kiss of copper.

+1.

Unless your maintenance intervals are infrequent, there's really no need to use copper brushes.