PDA

View Full Version : Magpul AFG users

jasonnorcal
06-01-2012, 2:19 PM
I'm looking to purchase 1 and would like to try before I buy. Anybody near Chico have 1? Send me a PM so we can meet up. Thanks everybody

ahren111
06-01-2012, 3:27 PM
Buy one & try it. If you don't like it return it.

The Virus
06-01-2012, 5:44 PM
dont waste your time or money

Checkk
06-01-2012, 6:06 PM
I like my AFG. Vertical stock doesn't feel right to me. Doesn't feel natural. If you prefer no stock just buy the AFG. It's cheap enough to buy it and try it out. If you don't like it resale it on calguns. You'll recover most of your money back. The time and gas wasted to meet up someone to try it doesn't offset the cost of it and the resale value.

Flowmini98
06-01-2012, 10:15 PM
I put one on my latest AR and I really like it. feels more natural to me then the vertical foregrip.

Munny$hot
06-01-2012, 10:35 PM
IMHO it depends on what hand guard you use it on. A MOE with an AFG1 it feels great an I can get a good grip on it, but with a railed hand guard it doesn't feel right.

MrPlink
06-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Good stuff. Ive had them on numerous platforms.

They make the most sense on platforms with a longer hg to really be used as intended.

drkphibr
06-02-2012, 7:01 AM
dont waste your time or money

They are very well made, so it terms of wasting your time or money it comes down to personal preference in how you like to hold your AR. The AFG allows you to cant your elbow into your waist more naturally, IMO, than does a forward vertical grip due to how you have to hold your hand with each and how your wrist is turned (upward and facing your bottom rail for the AFG or parallel to the vertical grip).

The AFG is also more accommodating to shooting with sand bags than the vertical grip is. Again, it's all about personal preference. They are popular enough that if you buy it and don't like it you can return it (minus shipping) or resell it easily (might not get what you paid though).

Fractured
06-02-2012, 7:05 AM
I like the afg as well.

The "pts" version can be had on ebay for under 20.00 usually. It is the "airsoft" version so I wouldn't keep it on your EBR but at least you can try it.

adrenaline
06-02-2012, 7:08 AM
I like my AFG. It is like the natural keyboard for foregrips. :) For me at least....

xpbprox
06-02-2012, 7:14 AM
One dag I'll have to try these *** grips but I like my vfg because The one I have is shapped so it can be used as a afg and it's good for controlling your weapon for example in room clearing. Or if you by chance have a bayonet you can use your vfg to add more thrusting power an controll. I would just buy it like everyone else said the return it if its not gtg.

KMosley
06-02-2012, 9:11 AM
The AFG is amazing, feels very natural. I have had both the AFG 1 and the slimmer AFG 2. I would recommend the newer model AFG 2.

hellraiser
06-02-2012, 10:07 AM
I like them but a couple of people I know don't dig them. A regular vertical grip just never felt right to me. It's really on the individual I guess.

The o.p. Has a good plan. Hope ya find some one close by.

jkonquer
06-02-2012, 10:10 AM
Afgs are awesome for competition shooting or for quick acquisition. But if you are one of those guys running around and looking for more comfortable mobility, i would get vertical grip. So for 3 gun get afg, for military use get vertical grip.

Look into stubby or modular vertical grip. They act as both afg and vertical grip. You can make them very short to use as handstop. I have afg on my rifle as of now but most likely go with modular grip from troy when i get some funds

cfusionpm
06-02-2012, 10:51 AM
I've had an AFG for a while... tried it in several places on the handguard and just never fell in love with it. Currently have a VFG on.

icenix
06-02-2012, 12:32 PM
I like mine a lot, but I shoot more off a bipod, so I don't use my AFG often, so keep that in mind if you plan on buying a bipod at some point. I also prefer to sometimes to hold the rifle around the magwell instead of the AFG. Just kind of depends on your taste and use.

weber_2
06-02-2012, 12:55 PM
What's the consensus on using these on a featureless rifle? I want one for my Socom II

tonelar
06-02-2012, 1:10 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/guns/th_M17s-1.jpg
I like them on my BB EBRs or RAWs.

What's the consensus on using these on a featureless rifle? I want one for my Socom II

Feds (BATFE) don't consider it a fwd pistol grip, however CADOJ has remained silent. So, the last I heard; the right people say it is risky using it on a featureless OLL.

TacticalPlinker
06-02-2012, 1:13 PM
I have an AFG2 on my Tapco 10/22 stock. It's perfect. I too don't like the feel of any forward grip I've used, it's just not natural, including the Magpul RVG. I will be adding an AFG to any future "tacti-cool" build, such as an AR.

The AFG2 is also a bit wider, so it should fit your hand better.

loosewreck
06-02-2012, 2:01 PM
I tried the AFG2, don't like it. I prefer a stubby as a hand stop. I almost ordered some LaRue hand stops, but I think I'll hold out for the Magpul ones. Right now I'm using nothing but rail covers, but its nice to have some kind of handstop to help me push the rifle in with.

JeremyKX
06-02-2012, 2:05 PM
Was always unsure if I should get one.

Tried it one day on a friends gun.

Fell in love.

JJ1911
06-02-2012, 3:30 PM
I like a regular stubby grip. During a vehicle course i took we found so many uses for a regular grip. Using it as leverage when shooting certain urban prone, using it to hook on to a car door to provide more stability, etc

dragon7
06-02-2012, 4:36 PM
I like my AFG. Makes my forward grip feel more natural. When gripping it my thumb actually wraps around the top of the handguard making for a comfortable hold. It really helps me drive the rifle in high speed scenarios. When I'm prone or shooting off a barrier or sandbag it seldom get in the way.

Chaos47
06-02-2012, 5:17 PM

Forward pistol grip in CA law is defined as:
(c) "forward pistol grip" means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger.

From my featureless guide (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14Sc8MNP9AO6JgHxcnqm5oR45LDLIhpqeBHsCN8-K4XU&pli=1):

Notice the definition does not state the part about the “pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon”. It only specifies that it is a forward grip.
It is the general consensus that it is NO-GO to use a Magpul Angled forend grip. Because it allows for a forward grasp and is marketed as a grip.

Revolver Ocelot
06-02-2012, 6:03 PM
Forward pistol grip in CA law is defined as:

From my featureless guide (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14Sc8MNP9AO6JgHxcnqm5oR45LDLIhpqeBHsCN8-K4XU&pli=1):

Notice the definition does not state the part about the “pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon”. It only specifies that it is a forward grip.
It is the general consensus that it is NO-GO to use a Magpul Angled forend grip. Because it allows for a forward grasp and is marketed as a grip.

Doesnt it specify a forward "pistol style" grip? The AFG does not seem to give a pistol style grip.

nvision
06-02-2012, 6:47 PM
i have both versions of the AFG and personally think they are awesome.

iki77
06-02-2012, 6:56 PM
I have a AFG 2 that I took off my AR. I will let you try it out to see if you like it. I'm not sure I want to get rid of it yet. I work in Chico so if you can meet me on a weekday after I get off work 4-5pm it won't be a hassle for me. PM me your cell and we can work it out.

Fot
06-02-2012, 7:03 PM
I'm looking to purchase 1 and would like to try before I buy. Anybody near Chico have 1? Send me a PM so we can meet up. Thanks everybody

I have one you can check out, if you are still looking. We could set something up next weekend.

weber_2
06-03-2012, 8:30 AM
The law defines a "forward pistol grip". These are marketed as "Angled Fore Grips". The AFG is the equivalent to a sporter style stock IMHO.