PDA

View Full Version : Weapon condition at "go time"

HskrVern
06-01-2012, 3:04 PM
I just picked up a Mossberg 500 with the tacticool stock and find the tang safety and action release is annoyingly located. How many of you rock it with one in the chamber and safety off when a threat is detected in your home?

snowdog650
06-01-2012, 3:08 PM
If a threat is detected, how else would you propose carrying it?

I don't get it ... of course you would be ready to go.

Ribkick
06-01-2012, 3:20 PM
If a threat is detected, how else would you propose carrying it?

^This^

The end.

Mana4real
06-01-2012, 3:42 PM
My HD gun is a pistol. But if something is detected in the home, one in the chamber ready to go is the only way. But I keep my finger outside the trigger gaurd until ready to shoot. Does that help?

HskrVern
06-01-2012, 3:47 PM
It was drilled into us in the Navy that shotguns are to be carried in condition 3 and in no other condition. Thanks for the replies yall.

clutchy
06-01-2012, 4:16 PM
most shotguns don't have a drop safety. Maybe that's why.

Ribkick
06-01-2012, 4:35 PM
It was drilled into us in the Navy that shotguns are to be carried in condition 3 and in no other condition. Thanks for the replies yall.

A lot of LE agency's teach this as well. Some even going as far as requiring weapon be cocked and locked on an empty chamber requiring the slide release being depressed to shuck a round. Seems excessive.

I keep mine in condition 3 when at rest. If a threat is detected, it's condition one but with safety off and finger on TG.

billped
06-01-2012, 4:52 PM
Not the same question, but as a bird hunter I keep my safety on until I get ready to fire. For HD, I would take the safety off as soon as I *knew* that a bad guy was there.

Back to bird hunting, I've pulled the trigger when the safety was on and missed a shot. No biggie. I don't want that same thing to happen when the target is equally well-armed as I am.

tyrist
06-01-2012, 5:07 PM
Remington 870/benelli finger on the safety with one in the chamber. Since the safety is located right near the trigger it's easy to depress the safety and pull the trigger in one movement.

BigDogatPlay
06-01-2012, 8:25 PM
Remington 870/benelli finger on the safety with one in the chamber. Since the safety is located right near the trigger it's easy to depress the safety and pull the trigger in one movement.

+1000. That's how I was trained as well.

That said, you can ride the safety with your thumb on a 500 but you really need a conventional stock to do it.

TacticalPlinker
06-01-2012, 10:38 PM
So if you don't like the safety and slide release locations, why did you buy it?

HskrVern
06-02-2012, 8:59 AM
So if you don't like the safety and slide release locations, why did you buy it?

Traded for it. I liked the shotgun overall and was thinking I could always snag a used traditional stock for it if the tacticool stock didn't work out for me.

USMC 82-86
06-02-2012, 11:31 AM
Condition 3 has some benefits. One if someone gets to your gun first it gives that precious few seconds to react. By the time they figure out the safety is on and the gun is not cocked, you can either take the weapon if trained how to do so or get to a back up weapon, or run. If you train in this manner the gun can brought into play in a hurry.

I don't know why it is hard for some to use this method. If you have the gun in condition 1, and have to retrieve the weapon from a safe, you are looking at the same time, or maybe even longer to bring the gun into play versus having the gun in condition 3 and at the ready. When I lay down at night my gun is within hands reach and in condition 3. Now if I did not have a couple good dogs in the house to act as my backup alarm, I may go with condition 1, but I have always been a light sleeper anyway.

When I was in the Marines we had times that we carried weapons in condition 4 but with practice you can also bring that gun into play very fast.

TKM
06-02-2012, 11:45 AM
Why did you trade for a weapon that you didn't like?

HskrVern
06-02-2012, 12:31 PM
Why did you trade for a weapon that you didn't like?

:facepalm: The OVERALL weapon I liked very much, the stock I was iffy about because of the control locations. Call me crazy but if all I have to do is drop 20 bucks on a used stock to make my trade from meh to hehehe I'm going to do it. Man this place is getting snobby.

TKM
06-02-2012, 12:59 PM
The safety and action release have nothing to do with the stock.

I hope you somehow find happiness.

Milsurps
06-02-2012, 1:25 PM

Like you my 500 is in condition 3, but with a full stock. I find it's a piece of cake to bring to bear if needed. I was trained that way it's just stuck with me.
Buy a real stock for it. ;)

HskrVern
06-02-2012, 1:37 PM
The safety and action release have nothing to do with the stock.

I hope you somehow find happiness.

I dissagree, use the AR style stock vs the traditional stock and tell me there is no difference. I carried the mossberg 500 traditional stock in the Navy and I can tell you there is a difference.

Mana4real
06-02-2012, 6:49 PM
What are these conditions guys? Never heard of different "conditions" please excuse my noobish question.

Ribkick
06-02-2012, 7:00 PM
What are these conditions guys? Never heard of different "conditions" please excuse my noobish question.

These ready conditions were developed/formed by Jeff Cooper based on the 1911 .45 and has been transferred to most firearm ready conditions:

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on. (Cocked and locked)
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

Socalman
06-02-2012, 8:33 PM
My HD gun is a pistol. But if something is detected in the home, one in the chamber ready to go is the only way. But I keep my finger outside the trigger gaurd until ready to shoot. Does that help?

Same for my Mossberg 590. Keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot! ALWAYS!!!!

Thankfully, I have never had a threat in my home.

Mana4real
06-03-2012, 10:07 AM
These ready conditions were developed/formed by Jeff Cooper based on the 1911 .45 and has been transferred to most firearm ready conditions:

Condition Four: Chamber empty, no magazine, hammer down.
Condition Three: Chamber empty, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition Two: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer down.
Condition One: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety on. (Cocked and locked)
Condition Zero: A round chambered, full magazine in place, hammer cocked, safety off.

Thank you. That makes perfect sense.

zfields
06-03-2012, 10:47 AM
Curious, but what does it matter where the action release is? Never has been an issue for me, since I rarely use it.

MossbergMan
06-03-2012, 3:20 PM
The safety and action release have nothing to do with the stock..

True, however being able to activate/engage/reach or operate them has everything to do with a pistol gripped stock on a Mossberg. Mossberg's safeties are on the tang, completely away from one's thumb if you're using a PG stock. Straight stocks on the Mossbergs, period. (yes I know Mossberg markets PG stock for their guns....it's stupid, but that's what some people want)

Use and storage, two different things. Storage: Condition 3....Threat detected or suspected the action is operated and a condition Zero firearm is in hand (finger on the receiver). Happy hunting.