06-01-2012, 1:32 PM
Ruger, of course .22. Both used.

I voted with my money. :D

tal3nt
06-01-2012, 8:12 PM
BULLLLL BARRELLLL

Oldnoob
06-01-2012, 8:39 PM
I personally don't care for the bull barrel. I never felt the need for it.

AK all day
06-01-2012, 8:46 PM
I have a MKII bull barrel, and its a great shooter, but the problem is...I never shoot it. -_-

Lurch762
06-01-2012, 9:03 PM
Mk. II. Is it a 6" taper barrel, 6 7/8" heavy taper or the somewhat rare 5 1/4" heavy taper? I don't care for the LCI or magazine cutoff on the MK III.

p2rider426
06-01-2012, 9:05 PM
I have a MKII bull barrel, and its a great shooter, but the problem is...I never shoot it. -_-

I'll shoot it for you :) My dad's MKII is just about my favorite weapon to shoot

Mossy Man
06-01-2012, 9:17 PM
MKIII's safety features are laughable and detrimental.

i just spent the last three hours trying to remove a backwards MKIII magazine from my MKIII Target (BIL put it in backwards and slammed it up in there) thanks to the magazine disconnect.

mike_the_wino
06-01-2012, 9:18 PM
I went with the Mk. II. The bottom mag release was an issue for me but I liked the longer barrel and feel of the Mk. II.

Pick up is 6/12 due to shop schedule. :(

Jestor
06-01-2012, 9:27 PM
i just got a mkII stainless with tappered barrel. picking it up in four days and can't wait to see how it shots.

Mossy Man
06-01-2012, 9:31 PM
word of the wise

don't put the magazine in backwards.

you'll regret it.

MiddleKingdom
06-01-2012, 9:33 PM
I have a 5-1/2" bull barrel MK II and a 6-7/8" MK III 22/45. I enjoy shooting both, but the MK II feels better and doesn't have all the safety junk added to it. Let's face it, the MK II is already somewhat of a pain to assemble/disassemble. The MK III design makes the process even worse. My buddy gave me a sweet deal on the MK III so I feel lucky to have it, despite the design flaws. For some reason the MK III is less finicky with regards to ammo.

mossy
06-01-2012, 10:47 PM
although i have never had a issue with my MK.III, i say get the MK.II so you dont have to worry about a LCI, mag disconnect or internal lock.

ckprax
06-02-2012, 7:30 AM
MKII every time unless a standard is availible. My standard is my favorie 22 but my mkii is very nice.

rogervzv
06-02-2012, 7:34 AM
I love the Mark IIIs and own two of them. But if I saw a like-new or gently used Mark II I would snap it up since they are not available anymore except on the used market. Come to think of it, I saw a Mark II at Evan's last year and I did exactly that! The Mark II lacks the magazine safety, which is kind of nice. Just good, simple pistols.

I have a Mark III 5.5 Bull Barrel ("Target" model) and I love it. It is a great shooter and I take it to the range all the time.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a331/Roger54/Gun%20Stuff/DSC_0388.jpg

mike_the_wino
06-02-2012, 8:49 AM
word of the wise

don't put the magazine in backwards.

you'll regret it.
Yeah I can see that. I almost did that while looking at in the shop.

mjmagee67
06-02-2012, 9:32 AM
I love my MKII Government Target w/6.75in bull barrel. I got the Wolff spring kit for it, it was a pain in the butt to put in but worth every blasted cursing minute. The trigger is so smooth, breaks like glass, it is amazing how a lighter hammer spring will help. I've put over 10000 rounds through it and it just keeps saying "may I have another please". You can remove all the "safety" features on a MKIII too.

jdg30
06-02-2012, 9:33 AM
I like the Mk III better and have two of them. I installed Volquartsen trigger/sear kits on both and got rid of the magazine disconnects by replacing them with MkII hammer bushings and they field strip and reassemble with ease in a matter of seconds compared to before. It's an easy upgrade that makes the MkIII just like the Mk II and the Volquartsen trigger kit makes the trigger significantly better than the stock trigger.

The loaded chamber indicator doesn't really bother me. It may not be necessary but it's not bad. The thing I really like about the MkIII compared to the MkII is the magazine release button on the side of the grip instead of at the bottom. It makes for way faster magazine changes and is more natural instead of having to mess with the release at the bottom of the grip.

I've shot at least 10,000 rounds through my MkIII's and they rarely malfunction unless they get real dirty. I don't keep track of how many rounds I shoot through them but it has been a lot and they are great guns. MkII or Mk III you really can't go wrong with either.

The main reason I prefer the MkIII is because I am able to get rid of the mag disconnect safety and because of the location of the mag release. If there was no way to remove the mag disconnect then I would prefer the Mk II, but to me the mag release on it is kind of a burden.

weekend_plinker
06-02-2012, 10:31 AM
I have been thinking of getting some of his products,For the mark III

http://www.eabco.com/Ruger_Mk_III_Speed_Strip.html

Mk III 3.2 Conversion" for Speed Strip conversion with Magazine Disconnect omission. (The Mk III 3.2 Conversion actually works in Mk I and Mk II as well as Mk III pistols. The 3.2 bushing gives improved trigger performance in all three

Socalman
06-02-2012, 10:34 AM

Send it to me and I will make sure it is properly used!

swift722
06-02-2012, 4:26 PM
looking for a mark II... for wifey anyone got a line on one for sale

mike_the_wino
06-02-2012, 4:30 PM
Check your local gun store (LGS) swift722. I happened to find one that wasn't even in the case yet. Something about the gun store having to hold them for so many days

swift722
06-02-2012, 4:33 PM
yeah been looking around my area ( san diego) problem is they use them in the pistol training course she took and looks like everyone around here is looking for one..... i actually shot it after the class.... nice little pistol, will be great for her

Chaos47
06-02-2012, 6:23 PM
MK3 for the american style magazine release.

All the safety features in MK3's can be defeated with minimal tools in less then half an hour..

Chaos47
06-02-2012, 6:25 PM
MK3 for the american style magazine release.

All the safety features in MK3's can be defeated with minimal tools in less then half an hour..

44fred
06-03-2012, 2:04 PM
I have a MKII Gov't 6 3/4" that I never shoot. The thing is not very accurate and don't know why I keep it. I'll probably list it in the for sale forum real soon.

Gotcha!

toby77
06-04-2012, 1:05 AM
Mark III hunter

23 Blast
06-04-2012, 3:55 PM
I had a standard Mark II (6" tapered barrel) which was one of my favorite guns to shoot. I foolishly sold it a while back and then got a Mark III 22/45 as a replacement. Now, the 22/45 is a fine gun in its own right, but about the only thing it has better than the Mark II is the position of the magazine release. The LCI, magazine disconnect, and in-n-out dance you have to do to disassemble it are stupidity defined.

For these reasons, I suspect my Smith 22A-1 will see a lot more use in the near future.

sneather
06-04-2012, 4:23 PM
I bought a stainless bull 5.5" MKII about seven years ago. DAMN happy I did that, because Ruger messed with a good thing by bastardizing the model which is now the MKIII.

Simple little pistols need to stay that way, not become more complex nanny machines.

Lead Waster
06-04-2012, 4:37 PM
I bought a MkII era 22/45 with a short barrel and some kind of compensator on it. It's quickly becoming a favorite since I bought one of those universal clip loader things. It shoots low, but it has an adjustable rear sight that I just keep forgetting to adjust!

I was shooting it at the range when the front sight fell off the compensator... that ended that because again, I forgot my stupid screwdriver!

I have several thousand rounds of .22 of different flavours waiting to be tossed down range. How awesome is $15-$20 for 500 rounds?

nfong2684
06-04-2012, 4:38 PM
My fiance just bought me a MK III as a surprise gift, I think i picked wisely!