PDA

View Full Version : FNG about to move back to CA, in military

mickaila
06-01-2012, 1:03 PM
Hello, I am new to this forum, and I am about to move to CA, thank you US Navy. It will be my second time stationed there--Originally back in ~90-94.

A "friend" of mine owns a number of things that are of concern for CA. I have been trying to read aobut the unique CA gun laws and have learned alot here---possible raising more questions then I started with. Moreover, searching with permutations of "military" and "PCS" and "AW" have been mostly helpful.

However, a few questions still remain, and a few conclusions may be wrong. Thus far, I think:

1. One could own a full length AR with "evil mods--FWD hand grip, collapsible stock, etc", with a modification that precludes non-tool use removal of the magazine, as long as it is not on the make/model ban list found in the flow chart (link above).
2. The ban list is confusing. One thread talked about changing the look of an AR to make it no longer the "A4 flattop, RRA" for example. But isn't it the lower that defines the gun? And isn't it the upper that defines "A4 flattop"?
a. In theory couldn't one take a couple of listed guns, swap the uppers and lowers e.g. COLT upper onto an RRA A4 Flattop & vice-a-versa and be OK?
b. Or even offlist uppers onto listed lowers?
c. What about a dissassembled listed gun?
3. Can an AR have a threaded barrel, as long as it doesn't use a supressor/flash hider?

NON AR questions:
3. I am having trouble discovering if a threaded, not listed, pisol is banned.
4. It seems the >10 capacity round magazine thing is applicable to all weapons, not just long guns. But if one lived in CA back in '94, and owned them.. PCS'd out of state..PCS'd back.. wouldn't they be OK?
a. Were Beta mags made prior to 1994?
5. Are auto-out-the-front knifes also banned?
6. Similarly, what about ceramic scissors/ knives?

mj

frankDmole
06-01-2012, 2:44 PM
Welcome to CalGuns, mj. you should post your questions in the appropriate sub forums as not too many users look in here.

Thanks for your service!:patriot:

h0use
06-01-2012, 4:31 PM
welcome

bsg
06-01-2012, 6:21 PM
welcome to the forum.

den888
06-01-2012, 7:16 PM
Welcome!

BlackTydeTactical
06-01-2012, 8:01 PM
Welcome aboard!

FX-05 Xiuhcoatl
06-01-2012, 9:48 PM
welcome

mickaila
06-02-2012, 8:42 AM
RGR, will do.
would the 2nd amendment forum of the centerfire forum be better?

BlackTydeTactical
06-02-2012, 8:44 AM
RGR, will do.
would the 2nd amendment forum of the centerfire forum be better?

Yes. Someone over there will help.

If you had your hi-cap mags prior to 2000 your fine.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

DeanW66
06-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Welcome aboard! As others mentioned you'll be better off with your questions in other areas since not everybody looks into the "new here" area for Qs to A.

I'm not a lawyer but I'll offer my understanding inline below where I can.

Originally back in ~90-94.

Bolded for major importance!

1. One could own a full length AR with "evil mods--FWD hand grip, collapsible stock, etc", with a modification that precludes non-tool use removal of the magazine, as long as it is not on the make/model ban list found in the flow chart (link above).

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you wrote here but if I'm correct, you are asking if magazines requiring-a-tool for removal are ok with evil features; yes (10-round limit!!).

3. I am having trouble discovering if a threaded, not listed, pisol is banned.
No threaded handgun barrels in CA.

4. It seems the >10 capacity round magazine thing is applicable to all weapons, not just long guns. But if one lived in CA back in '94, and owned them.
Correct.

zod
06-09-2012, 7:33 PM
Welcome aboard.

mickaila
06-11-2012, 4:33 PM
merci, i think i will start shopping for OLLs and break down some parts, adn maybe bring the uppers.

.22guy
06-11-2012, 6:21 PM
Welcome to Calguns! :)

mickaila
06-20-2012, 11:23 AM
If you were about to move to CA, from a liberal state, what would you buy? e.g. what is a hard rifle/pistol to come across in CA.....and still CA legal?

Other then the KSG, as I can't seem to find those anywhere at a decent price.