View Full Version : HSC Exemptions

06-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I just called a fairly well-known FFL to conduct a PPT.

I took PC832, Level 3, and Level 2 training. By PC, I should be eligible for exemption from the HSC requirement.

However the FFL says I have to be employed by an agency and use their letterhead to qualify for an exemption. I've never heard of that. I called the CA AGs firearm unit to see if something changed but something doesn't sound right. Did the laws in CA regarding firearms transfers go bonkers again?

06-01-2012, 1:03 PM
From the CA DOJ website:

The following qualify for HSC exempt status:

- Peace officer (active California)
- Peace officer (active federal)
- Peace officer (honorably retired California or federal)
- Reserve peace officer (as defined in Penal Code Section 832.6)
- Persons who have successfully completed P.O.S.T. 832 PC firearms training
- Federally licensed firearm collector who has a DOJ-issued COE who is acquiring a federally-defined curio/relic
- Person to whom a handgun is being returned, where he/she is the owner of the firearm
- Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Permit Holder
- Military - active duty
- Military - honorably retired
- Military - active reserve
- Certain particular and limited authority peace officers
- Persons who hold a DOJ-issued special weapons permit
- Persons taking possession of firearms pursuant to specific conditions related to operation of law acquisitions
- Law enforcement service weapon passed to surviving family member

I don't see that distinction here unless they require completed POST training.

06-01-2012, 1:03 PM
I can't answer your real question, so I'm sorry to still throw my $0.02 in here anyway. BUT... worst case, doing the HSC test is easy and it doesn't take very long (20 minutes, maybe 40 if they're busy). When you pass, you have the requirement right away and they will print and laminate your HSC card right there. It honestly might be less work (time or effort) than trying to prove your exemption.

06-01-2012, 1:05 PM
I think it was all of 15 minutes to get the HSC - and that includes filling out the forms.

06-01-2012, 1:11 PM
It would be nice, however, if FFl's didn't make up stuff. There is nothing in the section regarding post POST employment. And just because the HSC is easy doesn't make it right to ignore a qualification.

06-01-2012, 5:14 PM
Thanks guys. I've resolved to write to the CA AG and have them give me a letter in legal opinion so I can go without this headache in the future.

I can understand FFLs being protective of their license but making stuff up to mask their ignorance of LAW is beyond excuse.

06-02-2012, 12:06 AM
You just need to complete a PC832 (with firearms) course in order to qualify for the exemption. [PC 31700(a)(4)]
It doesn't matter if you are employed as a peace officer or if it's still valid for POST employment purposes, exemption requires just completion of the course.

The PC832 HSC exemption code is X81. This is what the CA FFL dealer notates on the DROS.

Penal Code 31700
(a) The following persons, properly identified, are exempted from the handgun safety certificate requirement in subdivision (a) of Section 31615:
(4) Any person who has successfully completed the course of training specified in Section 832.

06-02-2012, 1:09 AM
I've used the PC832 exemption without problems in the past. I now have three different exemptions I can use (none LEO-based).

If the FFL won't do the transfer, I'd recommend you find another FFL unless he is interested in calling CA DOJ for some educational enlightenment.

06-02-2012, 1:22 AM
As the others have stated, if you have completed PC 832 Firearms, you only have to show evidence of said completion and the dealer enters X81 into the DROS as the HSC exemption. It says NOTHING about current employment for the PC 832 exemption. What was posted above is from the actual text of the law itself...

06-02-2012, 1:53 AM
There must be something about that gun store counter. Whoever stands behind it is bound to make sh*t up.

06-02-2012, 8:57 AM
There must be something about that gun store counter. Whoever stands behind it is bound to make sh*t up.

Haha, so true... Having just entered the realm of firearm ownership, and having been only to 3 shops in the East Bay, I've just assumed that this behavior is normal...