PDA

View Full Version : Gun cleaning

NeilM67
06-01-2012, 10:34 AM
I am new to CalGuns and am not sure if this is the right forum to ask this. I recently bought my first gun. It is a Colt 1911. The other day I was cleaning it after putting a couple hundred rounds through it. I was wondering if it was safe to use my parts washer that I have for my bike. The solvent is Parks Citrus Chain Brite. It is basically a standard biodegradable citrus based degreaser. Just figured I'd ask before I damage the finish of the gun.

Thanks

h0use
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
use a good oil, get your self a bore snake

TwinStick
06-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Welcome and nice first gun!

Budd
06-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Submersing whole gun? Absolutely not! They are easy enough to clean without doing that to it. Even tearing it down - field strip is easy - just clean it with with whatever gun cleaner you like and cotton patches. Get a nylon brush and a brass brush, cleaning rod, bore brush, etc. Then lube it up lightly with some gun oil.

If you are totally unfamiliar with cleaning your gun - just youtube it.

NeilM67
06-01-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did purchase cleaning supplies when I bought the gun. I was thinking it would be easy to soak the recoil spring and guide, barrel, barrel bushing, barrel pin and maybe even the slide in the solvent while I was brushing out the frame. Is this a bad idea?

DArBad
06-01-2012, 11:18 AM
Thanks for the replies. I did purchase cleaning supplies when I bought the gun. I was thinking it would be easy to soak the recoil spring and guide, barrel, barrel bushing, barrel pin and maybe even the slide in the solvent while I was brushing out the frame. Is this a bad idea?

Ah, I see what you are getting. That be the case, may I recommend that you make some Eds Red, put some in a deep enough pan and you can brush away to your heart's content without fear. Gun will come out squeaky clean and protected.

I've done this on several 1911s already.

ihavenoidea
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
You really don't want anything getting into the firing pin, so the slide wouldn't do well, just scrub everything with a brush let it sit, by the time your done scrubbing everything down with soilvent it's time to wipe it off the first thing your scrubbed,

J.D.Allen
06-01-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't even use solvent on my pistols unless they are just plain filthy. Just brush it out wipe it down and call it good.

BlackDrop50
06-01-2012, 2:52 PM
You can probably just wipe it down and re-oil it for 1000 rounds or better.

Another way to check is to simply rack the slide. Is it smooth and buttery or is it rough and gritty? If it functions fine just leave it. Even by simply putting some oil, running the action, and wiping off excess will make it pretty smooth.

Now revolvers on the other hand, have to be cleaned.

dem0critus
06-01-2012, 2:55 PM
i wouldn't soak the slide. Breakfree CLP was recommended to me by someone at the range I shoot at, and it works well for pretty much everything. I hear hoppes is good too.

JMP
06-01-2012, 3:01 PM
Cleaning is a lot less important than lubrication. If you go too crazy trying to keep it shiny, you will never shoot it.

M27
06-01-2012, 3:24 PM
I am really OCD about cleaning my firearms after shooting what I have found to work is

1 coat everything with hoppes no9
2 scrub with nylon brushes and cotton patches
3 rinse with a spray down of birchwood gun scrubber
4 put a thin coat of Break free CLP on all surfaces to protect
5 lube friction points with FP-10

I know its not all necessary but its what I do

loosewreck
06-01-2012, 3:40 PM
Don't try to get your patches to come out of the barrel perfectly white, you'll just be wasting your time and potentially doing harm to your barrel.

Its fun to clean when you're new to shooting, over time you'll find out how much is actually necessary.

Edit, I forgot to address the OPs question. Just go to your local LGS and get some Hoppes #9 and some brand of gun oil. That'll be good enough to start with its work for years.