PDA

View Full Version : Browning Hi Power vs CZ75B

Raptor3000
06-01-2012, 8:22 AM
Debating betwen these two pistols in 9mm.

Is Browning worth the extra cost? and also read that the trigger on browning is not great unless you remove the mag disconnect, i do not want to alter anything want to keep it stock.

Please advice.

thanks

Tee Why
06-01-2012, 9:02 AM
I had a Browning Hi Power in 40S&W when they first came out and I personally was not impressed with it. It had a pretty heavy trigger pull which I had to have a gunsmith lighten up. It was accurate and worked well, but it never impressed me in terms of fit and finish. Granted it was the base model.

I've had several CZ's including the 75BD and personally, I find the ergonomics of the CZ better, especially the stock trigger pull.

I did look at the price of Hi Powers and am amazed how much they've gone up. I wish I kept mine till now to sell. Oh well.

Rhatical
06-01-2012, 9:29 AM
Prefer the CZ75.

beretta929mm
06-01-2012, 9:40 AM
BHP in 9mm is the original
CZ75 in 9mm is a wanna be

Proud owner of BHP

dfletcher
06-01-2012, 9:59 AM
The BHP is single action only and the CZ is DA/SA.

Without alot of work the BHP isn't going to have a great trigger pull even with the mag safety removed - strictly speaking the trigger doesn't even touch the hammer. The trigger moves a sear lifter, the lifter cams down the sear bar and the sear bar depresses the sear. With a bit of work I think it can be made equal to or better than most DA/SA semi single action trigger pulls, of course that's not great praise.

I have a 70's BHP and the newer Mk III in 40 S & W. Probably due to age but I like the BHP better than the one or two CZs I own. The Belgian made BHPs are nicely finished with good grips and excellent bluing.

Icypu
06-01-2012, 10:01 AM
The BHP has a few good points and a few bad points.
- I don't prefer the magazine disconnect
- The double action pull is really tight and bad
- The hammer can bite you if you hold it wrong

CZ-75B is much better on all these aspects.
- Has a nice drop safety
- More ergonomic frame
- More accessories
- Can be modified for a nice sweet trigger
- Nice Kadet .22 kit

daybreak
06-01-2012, 10:01 AM

Proud owner of BHP

True, firearms weren't meant to evolve.

toadman
06-01-2012, 10:44 AM

My Flintlock is better.

I have a BHP in 9mm & the CZ75. Although I would never sell my Browning & love it's classic looks& feel, the CZ75 wins hands down in almost every aspect
of what makes a gun a great gun. The only guns I have that I enjoy shooting
more are my 1911's.

Bug Splat
06-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Never liked the Browning. Bad trigger, hammer bite, poor ergo's. CZ makes a much better pistol sorry to say. The Browning is a dinosaur today.

redcliff
06-01-2012, 11:22 AM

I would imagine you would have to pull real hard to try to fire a BHP double action since they are single action only.

Personally I like the svelte lines and comfortable grip of the BHP, I don't get hammer bite from them, and I remove the magazine disconnect's with wanton abandon and get trigger jobs done on them when necessary. Next to 1911's they're one of my favorite pistols, along with H&K P7's.

If a person prefers a DA/SA the CZ-75B is a great pistol. I have a pre-B which I've owned since 1986. I also understand some of the other model CZ's are great shooters, I just haven't had the pleasure of shooting one yet.

railroader
06-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Proud owner of BHP

Huh? They are two totally different guns. All you need to do is pull off the slides and look inside. They may look similar but that is as far as it goes.

paul0660
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
It's basically the same gun

Your screen name is very accurate.

paul0660
06-01-2012, 11:28 AM

And apparently he has a Beretta which would be farther down the list of guns to have.

I get to shoot a friend's Belgian HP frequently. It seems lighter and is easier to point than my CZ's. The trigger is so so and certainly broken in. We have had it apart, and the it is not at all like a CZ other than the classic look and reliability.

SdBoltz
06-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Your screen name is very accurate.

:owned:

Paradiddle
06-01-2012, 1:31 PM
I have both. Both of mine have had trigger jobs after shooting them for at least 3 months with the factory trigger.

Here is my .02 - note my experiences are with 9mm the "original" caliber of both pistols.

BHP
Pros:
I haven’t fired a handgun yet that points as well as the BHP. It fits like a glove, it points like a dream. It is, more elegant and more nimble between the two. Like a race car. You can remove the mag safety at home (tons of videos on the internet) and often that alone cleans up the trigger. A trigger job by a good smith is less than $100. It is a classic design and has great lines (if that is important to you). They are very accurate in my experience. It sits deeper in the hand than any other semi-auto I’ve tried (and I’ve tried or own nearly all the “standard” types).

Cons:
The safety doesn’t have the best placement and is often stiff. The factory trigger and mag disconnect is embarrassing for a gun that wins on so many other levels. The older ones can bite you, but there are several hammers available that solve it. Depending on the age of the gun the sights can be silly small. They have a following much like the 1911 and therefore can command a higher used price in the marketplace. Like the BHP they are also very accurate. Magazines are expensive.

CZ75 – a little background. I started with the CZ75B but quickly didn’t like the dropped beavertail – I couldn’t get it low enough in my hand. After some time on the Brian Enos forum I purchased a CZ75SA and had Angus convert it to SA/DA. Now I have the high swept beavertail but it will do DA/SA so I can shoot in “production” class.  You could get a SP01 and have the same benefit.

Pros:
Points second best to the BHP – better then a Model 19 and better then a 1911 IMO. Very good ergos – again the SA has better safety placement then the standard B. With a quality trigger job the DA to SA transition is very smooth and easily learned. I have no issues transitioning when I compete. The sights are better out of the box. The overall gun feels a little heavier – which absorbs a little more recoil. Not the BHP sits so low that there is very little muzzle flip. Like the BHP the CZ has a very low bore axis. They used to be very reasonably priced – I’m not sure anymore as I’ve owned mine for some time now.

Cons:
Not as elegant or refined as a BHP – they come in a black coating of some type which has been durable as hell, but IMO nothing looks as good as a deeply blued handgun. You have to remove the mag brake (or bend it out of the way) or mags will not drop free – it’s very easy to fix this issue. The factory trigger is smooth, but heavy. Much better than any Berretta I’ve shot, but not as nice as a factory Sig. I get a lighter trigger on all my handguns anyway so this is not much of an issue. 1000 rounds later the factory trigger does smooth out and lighten up. There are less CZ “expert smiths” then BHP guys – but luckily you’ve got Angus’s shop in Arizona and Matt Mink also does great work. Magazines are expensive.

If you want a DA/SA pistol then I cannot recommend a CZ75 higher. If you are looking for a SA pistol then I think it’s hard to beat the BHP.

paul0660
06-01-2012, 1:41 PM
Let me rephrase that after that little poke, looks it's basically the same, bhp is thinner, and there are more examples, but I was giving a short answer, And as far as accuracy they are basically the same, no need for name calling

Hey, you named yourself.;)

Here is a good article about them, which pretty much reiterates my experience with them:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ-75%20or%20BHP.htm

Similarity ends at basic appearance, and even that isn't very close because the slide rail design is completely different.

marklbucla
06-01-2012, 2:29 PM
I wanted to shoot the BHP like a 1911 with my thumb resting on the safety, but that banana shaped safety ate a hole in my thumb.

The CZ Kadet conversion is much better than the BHP Ciener.

loosewreck
06-01-2012, 2:34 PM
Similarity ends at basic appearance, and even that isn't very close because the slide rail design is completely different.

Exactly, looks like some posters really don't know what they're talking about.

curtru
06-01-2012, 2:42 PM
I love how my bhp 9mm but it came to me as a family pass on about a 3.5 pound trigger pull it nice and crisp and I have shot countless amounts of rounds through it. But I have yet to shoot a cz of any type so I'm partial to my gun but if you have the chance to shoot both take it.

Oldnoob
06-01-2012, 3:08 PM
Op, please only listens to someone who own both pistols and can give you per experience insight.

Oldnoob
06-01-2012, 3:11 PM
Mr. Steve Camp wrote a very detail review of two pistols.

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/CZ-75%20or%20BHP.htm

TripleThreat
06-01-2012, 3:24 PM
I have both, well kind of, I have the CZ 75 SP-01 9mm (not the standard CZ 75), which I would take any day over my Browning High Power. My CZ is much more accurate and a better built weapon then my BHP. Any reason you're not listing the SP series CZ's? Worth nothing, the SPs' are still part of the CZ 75 line, but with more technology and a light rail. So far though, nothing fits my hand as well as a BHP.

Triple

jfa25
06-01-2012, 9:10 PM
As a proud BHP owner would say BHP, but the CZ is not a bad second option.

MA2
06-02-2012, 6:47 AM
1911-9mm not a consideration? IMO: Best SAO stock trigger (any brand).

I have the CZ75-SA, my 2nd favorite 9mm, only behind my 1911-9mm :)
No BHP here, to compare to.

Turbinator
06-02-2012, 7:11 AM
Op, please only listens to someone who own both pistols and can give you per experience insight.

Totally agree here.

Turby

Raptor3000
06-02-2012, 8:50 AM
So browning is not worth the price?

Thanks

Spirit 1
06-02-2012, 5:15 PM
CZ's are built for full power NATO ammo which tells me a lot. They can handle +P no problem and can take some rougher use than a pretty BHP. I love BHP's, truly beautiful, but for usefulness and the all important BANG FOR THE BUCK: CZ!

paul0660
06-02-2012, 5:19 PM
So browning is not worth the price?

Thanks

No, the answer is that they are so different in design and function that the original question doesn't make much sense. The look the same, pretty much.
End of similarity.

Can't buy anything here
06-02-2012, 5:30 PM
I love my Hi-Power...it's my favorite 9 to shoot hands down...I also have heard nothing but good things about CZ...if I were carrying the gun, I might go for the CZ's double action over cocked and locked....but if it's just for target, the DA/SA is a non-issue...as is the thumb safety. I have a C&S safety and my trigger was tuned by Hoag so it breaks at 4 pounds...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e249/sipowicz/P1070484.jpg

Rorge Retson
06-02-2012, 6:02 PM
This is a no-brainer; CZ wins, hands down. But get the SP-01 for the grand prize. ;)

Oneaudiopro
06-02-2012, 6:48 PM

CZ-75B is much better on all these aspects.
- Has a nice drop safety
- More ergonomic frame
- More accessories
- Can be modified for a nice sweet trigger
- Nice Kadet .22 kit

The BHP is single action, not double action. You musta been shooting something else.

Czsp-01-9mm
06-02-2012, 9:59 PM
im new to this forum but im gonna tell you what i tell everyone who ask what gun to buy, go and handle them...if you can, best way is to test drive a handgun and rent it, borrow it whatever, both have pros and cons, like buying a car always test drive or your gonna get stuck just going on what others say,

Bastard
06-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Debating betwen these two pistols in 9mm.

Is Browning worth the extra cost? and also read that the trigger on browning is not great unless you remove the mag disconnect, i do not want to alter anything want to keep it stock.

Please advice.

thanks

you are never going to get everyone to agree as arguments could be made for both, recommend that you shoot them both or at the very least handle them both.